Took my niece to the Hunger Games, eye opening.

This is a discussion on Took my niece to the Hunger Games, eye opening. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, many of you that read my posts know that I'm a very big movie buff. But I usually avoid packed theaters like openings of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Took my niece to the Hunger Games, eye opening.

Took my niece to the Hunger Games, eye opening.

Well, many of you that read my posts know that I'm a very big movie buff. But I usually avoid packed theaters like openings of big movies. Tonite I took my niece to see The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. Even getting there 20 minutes early the theater was fairly packed, I'd say 85% full. Aside from hating big crowds this sure wouldn't have been a great situation to be in if there was an emergency. If there was a fire I can't imagine the chaos of a couple hundred people (mostly 15-20 years old) heading for the exit! And to be sure, the thought of an 'active shooter' situation was in the front of my mind as I settled in.

I had my HK P30S on my hip and a spare mag and hi powered flashlight on my weak side (light in my pocket). If I needed to I could have accessed both almost instantly. But how the heck do you maneuver in a crowd that tight? And if I'd have needed to draw on a shooter, what of all the kids sitting around me? Like I said, it would have been a mess.

This is part of the reason I avoid this kind of situation, and it's food for thought. Obviously nothing happened and we enjoyed the movie (to anyone that wants to/has to go to the film, it was very fun and entertaining- thumbs up!). I suppose 99.98% of the time that's the outcome. It does make you ponder what you could do if your night falls into that other 0.02%.
    nechaev and gatorbait51 like this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

2. Remove Ads

I don't really ponder about suchthings that are so statisticaly low. If I pondered about what could happen in a movie theater I would be a basket case pondeing about every other facet of everyday life that has more of a chance of causing my demise (walking across the street, driving, skydiving)

Anyhoo, good thoughts anyway and give us a good review on the film!
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Nothing to ponder for me. I refuse to pay the prices they want for a movie. I'll wait until it is out on DVD and rent it. Nothing beats being able to hit pause, go take a leak and get a cold drink and snack, and come back and not have missed anything.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I don't really ponder about suchthings that are so statisticaly low. If I pondered about what could happen in a movie theater I would be a basket case pondeing about every other facet of everyday life that has more of a chance of causing my demise (walking across the street, driving, skydiving)

Agree!!! Methinks many forum members are just trying to stay "in tune" with the forum and like to contribute for the sake of contributing. Personally, some of the "what ifs" astound me and I do wonder about the mental makeup of some (this thread is NOT one of those but some of the "what ifs" are real eye openers and very very imaginative); even this thread where "I usually avoid" but went anyway is not something I would have done (and for a movie, no less, which will be around for weeks and on Netflix in a few months). I am 72, I have never ever ever had a need to even think "firearm" and I believe that my full embracing of situational awareness (SA) is the reason--if you define where, when and how you go to places and place limits on the answers that benefit your safety, you are a long way toward not needing a firearm. I am not a 24/7 CCer but I do have my CCWP and, IMO, the only time I really would like to be CC is on an evening out at a nice restaurant in downtown Charleston. Getting to and from my parked car is where my situational awareness (SA) is telling me that I should have my firearm but it is illegal in SC at alcohol-serving restaurants (hope that changes soon--NC just made the change). I tend to think that the thread is being written as self-criticism for a bad choice and ignoring SA. All in all, glad the thread was only thoughts about safety and nothing happened--that is usually the case but no reason to back off on SA, even if you are CC.

I read the Hunger Games books and really liked them a lot. The first movie was really good. I am glad I went to see it in the theater and look forward to seeing the rest as they come out.

I do not worry about theater situations. The local theaters are not in compliance with the statutes on how and where to post signs. They dont care enough to post properly and I only look for what the state expects. Besides, concealed means concealed.

My wife and I have degrees in theatre (<I have a pair of Bachelors: Theatre: actor/director and Mass Com: Video Production> and Mary: theatre: costume design) obviously we are also movie buffs and my little boy LOVES Disney/Pixar and Dreamworks CGInimation. We do go to the theater often. I go armed with my S&W M&P 40c, CT Grips and hi-cap mags every time. I am not willing to risk Aroura with my family. The peace of mind we get from my SA and preparedness makes it possible to go to theaters comfortably. Don't know how the sheep do it.
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I don't really ponder about suchthings that are so statisticaly low. If I pondered about what could happen in a movie theater I would be a basket case ...
    Myself, I've pondered the basic problem of the venue, for most any venue I go to. It's second-nature, now. But basically with movie houses, it's a one-time thing. Where it's more advantageous to sit, to both avoid being singled out while also yielding easy exit; where to sit to avoid the cattle car effect (being trampled); whether I'd be capable of either hiding, exiting or engaging if a situation went down. Once I know that venue and my basic choices, the pondering's done. Same with airports, restaurants I know, etc. Not a big thing, or even nerve-racking after nearly 25yrs of doing it.
    gatorbait51 and JDE101 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sponsor
    The "Crowded" part is why I always wait a a while before going to see a movie in a theater. Then, I'm in the same frame of mind as archer51 in as much as there are very few movies that I actually go to the theater to see. Some need to be seen on the big screen, some not so much. When I had younger kids we would make a movie day event as a special treat for good grades or birthdays, but only if there was a film that really needed the big screen experiencing.

As a side note for the veterans among us, look into troopswap.com they regularly have $7.50 movie passes available for Regal theaters.

Sorry to side track the thread.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I'm glad you enjoyed the movie and everything went well. I haven't seen any of the Hunger Games yet because I haven't had the time to read the books. It might sound weird to some, but I always read the book a movies based on before watching it.

Theater prices are insane, but occasionally a movie comes out that I either don't feel like waiting for it to come out on DVD/Netflix or it'd just be a lot cooler to see on the big, loud screen. Aside from taking note of where the exits are and figuring out where to sit, I don't concern myself with much else besides the movie.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar

The what-if exercise is a decent use of idle mind cycles and can be useful when done properly. Besides that, what is considered in one venue or environment is transferable to others. So the idea of "working in a crowd" that Phaedrus went through could be useful in areas far outside a packed theater. Besides that, evaluating the terrain and environment is part of the exercise of situational awareness that we're all supposed to be doing when we carry a gun, isn't it?

If you're not doing some war-gaming from time to time, you're missing out on a useful training and conditioning technique.
    gdolson, Bad Bob, Aceoky and 2 others like this.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

The main risk is an evacuation scenario. Being in the best seats can really screw you over. Your only option is to choose subpar seats, really. My main advice regarding evacuation is speed. You move as soon as the alarm sounds. You brief your niece ahead of time. Sadly, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just your fellow campers. In fact, a wise movement plan can save lives if people end up mimicking your economical movements.

Active shooter? The reason why fish school is because any individual fish in a school is unlikely to be harmed by a predator. Unless they have high-capacity mags (lol), you're in no real risk. Heck, I'd imagine that at t-0.1 seconds the main risk to your life remains either stroke or heart attack in your senior years.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

The last time I was in a theater was December of 1986 to see Platoon. I avoid crowded places as much as possible.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Nothing to ponder for me. I refuse to pay the prices they want for a movie. I'll wait until it is out on DVD and rent it. Nothing beats being able to hit pause, go take a leak and get a cold drink and snack, and come back and not have missed anything.
    Same here. My movie going days were over with the Bond movie Tomorrow Never Dies.

You will never see me in a movie theatre again.
    gatorbait51 and vice87 like this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

And here I thought that we were going to read about how you were inspired by the story of a peoples struggle against their oppressive government.

If it was just up to me I would have waited but my niece isn't in town very often and wanted to see it. From the beginning I pointed out that theater shootings are extremely rare, so no, I wasn't super worried. It's just that the "tactical" situation would have been so poor that I couldn't help noticing.

As for their struggles against oppression...they really haven't done so yet.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Fortunately, our local theatre allows concealed carry. I don't go there often, but always carry when I do.

I'm a big Jennifer Lawrence fan, ever since she was on the Bill Engvall show. Hope to go this weekend.
    silo, 357and40 and gatorbait51 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links