Defensive Carry banner

When you conceal carry, compare, Just like dressing up for an important dinner date

3K views 36 replies 31 participants last post by  oakchas 
#1 ·
My BIG question after reading peoples responses to scenarios and I think it would make a good poll for the gun antis if they knew it was taken with a lie detector attached, na they still would not believe it.

If you feel like you can respond, I ask those of you who do respond, to dig deep, be as honest as you can when you answer. I really think Everyone's answers can only help all of us and I trust everyone here enough that I think nobody will be snarky.

When you do conceal carry, for any reason, how does it make you feel? What is your mood and mind set during? Perhaps compared to when you do not. I am not talking about 2a and what one can do on his/her own property or in their home. Maybe just answer what you feel are the pro's and con's to when you carry or do not carry. Not about others but just for yourself

For myself, I feel privately proud inside, I feel a little safer. Nothing Billy bad --- at all. Humble. Being honest I never gave it allot of thought until we were expecting our first. Just proud because I know LE cannot be everywhere. I realize I may freeze or perhaps wet myself from fear although I would not carry if I felt I would make a mistake and harm others by accident. It does not make me feel brave or bold just responsible and capable. I feel proud and safe when at a Hotel and I tuck in my children. I feel I am more capable of protecting my family and perhaps someone else if the situation needed my help. Perhaps another Child, Mother, lawyer or even Senator. It does not mean I would always take action either. I would assess a situation always first. No different than how I would help a Grandmother across the street with her groceries. I feel like a good guy. Not a wise guy.

Proud that I am capable and took the time just like one takes the time going to college or taking a night course in something. Proud that I earned that right through proper training and testing. Was a good enough citizen according to State LE that they gave me a license to do so. I know from experience that a lot of LE feels more positive when they know someone has a license to carry even during a routine traffic stop. When I do choose to carry my situational awareness is a little increased. I feel S.A. is increased due to the responsibility I have to everyone around me each time I choose to carry. That heightened S.A. that i have is good for everyone.

I believe for me that it builds positive character, adding values which I want for my personnel and private reputation which others never ever even know about. I hope and pray through situation others never do. I find it to be a very personal, private and very positive step everyone should and could take in their life if they feel capable and responsible. Perhaps I feel to private about it. I have been accused of being to private before.

Not looking for chest beaters or the farmers market guys although that is good and perfectly fine if that is how you feel and answer. Would like to hear it also. I know for some it is like Ford and Chevy, how they were brought up, raised around gun's or kept away from them. I never recall hearing an Anti Gun person saying I did not believe in them when I was a child and I still feel the same as an adult. They never claim they converted either.

After reading about Mall, school, store parking lot and even occasions of Family gatherings, it just started me thinking about why I do and do not and how i feel when I choose to and not to and even sometimes told that I can not.

I am new here so most do not know me well. I pose the questions and shared myself with the best intentions. Those are just a few of my thoughts on the subject. Now I respectfully ask you to share a few of yours with everyone if you feel you can. Thank you for taking the time to read. I have been accused of writing epistle to Paul's before also.

Mod, as always, help me out and also move me if in the wrong place.

See less See more
#4 ·
I don't feel a tad different. It is part of what I wear for that day. I don't give deep thought into what shirt I am wearing or what jacket, so why should I feel any different toward what EDC I am weariing?

#5 ·
I think about this a good bit actually. I just turned 21 in September and have been carrying ever since. I have been planning on carrying since I was about 18 when i started learning to shoot and learning about guns. I grew up in a gun neutral home, my parents weren't anti-gun, but they also never owned any guns. When i began talking to my dad about carrying he wasn't very keen on the idea at first, but warmed up to it after realizing I'm not an idiot. When I bought my first gun, my dad was with me, and when I shot it for the first time, my dad was with me then, too. That was also the first time he had ever fired a handgun. My sister also turned 12 in september, which where I live is the youngest you can go to a shooting range, so I took her for her birthday and rented a .22 and gave her her first lessons on how to shoot and handle a firearm responsibly. So carrying a concealed firearm has actually been a pretty significant learning and bonding expirence for my whole family.
Now, when I'm am actually carrying, I feel like it betters me. I am much more situationally aware of where I'm at, the people around me, what is happening around me. My girlfriend thinks it's paranoia, but in the same vein, she has admitted to me that she really doesn't care if something bad happens to her. I don't understand that logic, but she seems comfortable with it. I think I am just still in that new permit phase, but I also feel it's better for me because i pay much closer attention to detail and look after myself and my family to a higher standard. And i agree with what you said about being proud. I don't feel cocky or tough at all, bu i am proud of myself for partaking in something I believe in and standing up for myself in a world which frankly, doesn't seem like it wants you to.

#7 ·
I don't feel any of the prideful, safer, more responsible feelings, outside of the need to be very polite, to obey traffic laws to the letter, to never road rage, to never let my temper get out of control any time, anywhere. For the most part I am successful and carrying a firearm has made me more polite on the road. I let people into traffic, I drive the speed limit, I always signal and to the distress of my partner I always come to a complete stop at stop signs and rock back. Then I proceed. I do go through yellow lights if I know it's safe.

I would suggest the pride, civic responsibility feelings are OK, but will wear off.

Bear in mind that just because little you is carrying a pistol you are NOT any safer, you are not Rambo, you will have to resist the urge to insert yourself, save strangers, maybe even be confrontational. All you have is one little lead projectile between you and a REAL predator. Partner up, listen to your fear, go around the block, stay in your car, drive away, lock your doors. These things make you safer. Having your firearm is just a tiny, tiny edge and possibly will prevent you and yours from dying in the back of a convenience store IF you can deploy, IF you are not out gunned, IF you do not freeze.

Every bullet has a lawyer and $10k attached to it. Let the EDC of a firearm raise your level of polite, cautious, responsible behavior, and have a partner. THAT will keep you safe, and may aid you in not putting your loved ones in danger.

FWIW

#9 ·
I ask those of you who do respond, to dig deep, be as honest as you can when you answer.

When you do conceal carry, for any reason, how does it make you feel? What is your mood and mind set during?

I just take a moment to review why I'm carrying ... to protect myself and my loved ones, no matter the cost to the BG(s), even if that kills them. While I fully appreciate the likelihood of needing to defend against such situations is small, I never want to lose sight of the simple fact that remaining upright is a deadly "game" in this world. Can't do it without remaining alert, aware, responsive, able to deal with changing factors as they arise.

I also tend to feel a bit thankful (though, "pride" is a bit much), that we haven't allowed the liberty-swiping thugs to destroy what we've taken 230yrs to build. Not yet, at least. And that I live in a state where I'm fully encouraged to remain standing in the face of dire threat against me or mine. Not everyone can say that.

Double-check: keys, wallet, knife, sidearm/ammo, wardrobe; ensure the home is prepared for exit; quick run through the mindset, then out.

#11 ·
Responsibility, responsibility--above and beyond my responsibilities as a citizen to obey the law and conduct myself in a civil fashion. When I drive my car sans CC, I may go a bit over speed limit, might go through a yellow light, might act more aggressively and "me first" than wife likes but when I am CC, I am the "little old lady from Pasadena". When I walk the street, I try to be more attentive and more civil to others. When I am in line at an event or store, I am more patient and keep my aggressive "me first" in check. IMO, I have been given an awesome right to legally carry a firearm that I can use to actually, in the final scenario, kill someone in defense of myself and others (Alter Ego). I take that seriously and make a concerted effort to become a very different person in my comings and goings in public. Having the firearm on my waist does not affect me in any other manner that I am aware of except this "awesome responsibility" that has been given to me

#13 ·
I tend to be more calm. I don't want to start any confrontation.

Bob Costas got it wrong when he claimed that when people carry they are more likely to confront as they are emboldened by their weapon. Of course, he didn't have a clue about what the hell he was talking about.

#25 ·
Bob Costas is a know-it-all little twerp, who needs a highchair to eat at an adult table. He is talking down to everyone since he can only physically talk up to you. He is so dead wrong on his comment--it is the argument of intelligence-challenged anti 2A hypocrites, who have no idea what this is all about and probably are armed themselves or have a handgun in the house or have some kind of uber-security surrounding them.
Want to watch real sports insight--watch Dan Patrick and see a real pro who knows what he is talking about without the need for cue cards.

#15 ·
I don't feel much safer as I rarely get in a situation where there is much of a chance to use it. If there is a need someday, I hope I am able to help someone or myself.

But the most important thing I gain from carrying is I feel a little bit better about America which I don't feel very good about right now. Basically the government and the people that put them there.

The right to bear arms is one of the last good things about this country and I am glad I live in a state that still respects that.

So it makes me feel a little more American and proud which I have to admit is not something I am feeling much of lately.

#17 ·
I just have a simple question: Why don't you guys feel or act that way without carrying a gun? Why does carrying a gun need to change the way you drive, act around others, or feel better about yourself. I am not criticizing, just asking a valid question. I am the exact same person whether I am carrying or not.

For myself, I feel privately proud inside,
I believe for me that it builds positive character,
I feel like it betters me
Responsibility, responsibility--above and beyond my responsibilities as a citizen to obey the law and conduct myself in a civil fashion. When I drive my car sans CC, I may go a bit over speed limit, might go through a yellow light, might act more aggressively and "me first" than wife likes but when I am CC, I am the "little old lady from Pasadena".

#22 ·
For me it's not Jeckyll and Hyde.

When I started carrying I thought about the consequences of confrontation. This made me more aware of the importance of avoiding confrontations, which, in turn, made me think about what I could do to avoid confrontations.

I was never a confrontational guy. But now I no longer flash my lights if someone cuts me off, wave my hand in a gesture of frustration, make a snarky remark if someone cuts in line, etc.

Carrying was just the catalyst for introspection, and the realization that taking such actions towards strangers - however minor those actions were - was just dumb.

Interestingly my inner monologue has become much more peaceful as well.

#18 ·
I'll do you one better and tell you how carrying makes me feel in one word-mindful:
mindful that I am a couple seconds away from changing my life and the lives of those around me forever;
mindful of being in a position to lose it all in a couple heartbeats-my life, my freedom, my family, our home, our financial security, everything.

Not much more to it.

#19 ·
Some people (Wife included) thinks I'm overly paranoid (which is probably what the Liberals believe we all are, and that alone should be a mental illness, and so they should take our guns away.But i digress). Since I am retired, I wear my EDC at home when ever i am awake (except when showering, or napping). I don't have a cache of firearms to leave in strategic places about our home. I try to explain to those that look at me in wonderment. And I repeat the line you see below in my signature.

#21 ·
I have carried for many years, so it just feels normal. I had jury duty this week, so I felt very strange without my 1911 and spare magazine on my belt, my pocket backup gun and spare magazine, and my knife. When I got home, I petted the dogs, kissed my wife, and went to the gun safe to finish dressing.

#28 ·
I feel like the terminator haha just kidding, I feel a lot calmer, and more confident in my ability to protect my daughter when we are out and about. I also avoid confrontation as much as possible... Actually much more than I did before I started carrying

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

#29 ·
I would say that now I don't feel or think any different whether I'm carrying or not. I do have to say, though, that I am different ALL THE TIME now than I was before I started carrying. Between the training I took and hanging out here, I am much more prone to evaluate my surroundings all the time for safety and potential "problems". I see much more of the world around me and spend much more time thinking critically about the situations I'm in and how I handle them.

I've been developing the habit of being this way all the time, whether I'm carrying or not. It's a big improvement for me from the time before I started carrying, though, where I was condition white more than 50% of the time.

#30 ·
I carry 24/7 365 days a year. I have for so long its like putting on my pants. Other than its my right to I dont really feel any way about it in the ways some are saying they do.

I take it seriously in the sense that I worked hard to be as effective as humanly possible for me to be with my weapons and aspects of SD.

I dont avoid things because im carrying a gun and I dont look for confrontations because I am either.

I guess after thinking just now about it I just live my life like a normal person. If theres anything I guess it would be the knowledge in the back of my mind that I can meet whatever level of force that might be used against me with an equal or greater amount of force to protect myself. But honestly that even isnt something that Im consciously thinking of all the time. Its just there if its needed.

Other than that little bit my EDC is like my wallet only its not empty all the time:smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.