Conundrum

This is a discussion on Conundrum within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night the wife and I met at Walmart after I got off work approximately 7 pm. I was walking her to her vehicle which ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Conundrum

Conundrum

Last night the wife and I met at Walmart after I got off work approximately 7 pm. I was walking her to her vehicle which was further back in the parking lot than usual as she had forgotten her placard. Since I had been at work instead of my revolver carry I had a Glock 19 under my jacket OWB.

As we approached her vehicle I saw two men approaching from further out in the parking lot still that seemed to be on an intercept course. A quick check of the area did not reveal any other approaches. My wife is handicapped from multiple medical problems she's not going anywhere fast and I'm not going anywhere without her. As they were getting closer I recognized one of them as a member of a local reservation gang and his companion was age gender etc appropriate to be a new member/prospect.

I got the wife into her vehicle(It's not bullet proof but it provides some barrier protection.) I remained outside the vehicle between her and them and greeted the one I recognized by his "Yard Name" with my hand under my jacket. He didn't answer the greeting his look hardened to the proverbial "stink eye" but both of their courses changed trajectory to non intercept. Wife called Walmart and let them know about it as I drove her vehicle to my vehicle. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    gatorbait51, WHEC724 and 40Bob like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Sounds like you did everything that needed to be done. Good for you and your spouse.
    40Bob, WHEC724 and tdave like this.

Could have been something, could have been nothing. I'm glad you and your wife are safe, though.

One thing I've noticed about big box store (especially Wally World) parking lots is a lot of people walking from their car to the store like to walk like they're "up to something" when passing people going the opposite direction like it's fun for them to be intimidating to others. I've seen groups of guys look menacing as possible to young/old couples or other groups of females, basically anybody they out number, then laugh their butts off when they pass about how funny it was that the people looked so scared.
    tdave and silo like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    No criticism from me. BGs don't like to be recognized by name by the prospective victims.
    Hopyard, Ghost1958, silo and 4 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    You did the right thing. In today's society, you can never be to careful. I'd look into getting your wife a handicap plate/sticker for her vehicle though. It seems to me that she doesn't need to be parked that far away from an entrance to the store. I'm not saying nothing can happen being parked in a handicap zone, but the shorter distance she has to walk from point A to point B would definitely be in her favor. IMHO of course.
    NONAME762 and tdave like this.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStallion29 View Post
    You did the right thing. In today's society, you can never be to careful. I'd look into getting your wife a handicap plate/sticker for her vehicle though. It seems to me that she doesn't need to be parked that far away from an entrance to the store. I'm not saying nothing can happen being parked in a handicap zone, but the shorter distance she has to walk from point A to point B would definitely be in her favor. IMHO of course.
    We have three vehicles NV gives plates for one and a placard if you are using a different vehicle. The vehicle with the plates was at home that night and the placard was in another purse.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    No criticism from me. BGs don't like to be recognized by name by the prospective victims.
    ^YEP^^^^^^^

Sounds like you may have let the "air out of his tires".
    Hope he doesn't know where you live.

Glad you and Mrs. tdave are alright.
    NONAME762 and tdave like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

All good! You changed his Ooda loop. All good!
    Mike1956 and tdave like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinot View Post
    All good! You changed his Ooda loop. All good!
    Yes, if the loop can be disrupted prior to arrival at the bad part, there will quite possibly be no bad part.
    blitzburgh and tdave like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

OP, you did a great write up of the event, but as to what your "Conundrum" is, Im lost. Like everyone else has said, it appears to me that you did great.

Lets sum this up, you had gang members, (likely up to no good, as thats what gang members do), initially appear to target you, never pulling, or firing your gun, you handled the situation. Seems to me thats the best possible outcome.

I really wish that the anti gun people could read these threads. NONE of us WANT to shoot anyone. And unlike the BGs, we agonize over our actions.

Btw, Im glad you had your G 19 with you, even if you didnt have the need of it. I love snubbies, too, but Id have felt much better with 16 rounds than 5.
    tdave likes this.

You done good Bubba!
    tdave likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

I think you did fine. But I don't like your outlook.

You see, when I read that, you are putting yourself in the position of the potential victim.
    I look at it like they, are the potential victims. You need to change your mindset about who is at the top of the food chain.

This is no criticism, just an observation and suggestion.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    I see nothing wrong with how you handled it, or the outcome. My only question is about your wife calling Walmart. What exactly did she tell them? "2 men walked in our direction in the parking lot." I'm sure the person answering the phone rolled their eyes and thought: "This woman is paranoid!"
    tdave and farronwolf like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

There are a lot of shady looking characters in the Walmart parking lot and even inside the store every time I go there. I pay them enough attention to see what they are doing if in my close proximity. Usually just enough eye contact to let them know someone is watching. In some instances, it is rather long eye contact if they are acting really stupid, followed by either a comment to or from my 10 yr old about how stupid some folks are. And then we carry on.

If I got worked up every time I saw shady folks, I would be a mess. If you are returning to your vehicle, or even in the store, which usually entails pushing a buggy. Keep it between yourself and them. Put kids/wife whomever on the opposite side of the buggy as them as well. It will give you the extra second it takes to act if they do something stupid.

I always park quite far out in the parking lot. I don't like carts or bad parkers right next to my vehicles. It also gives me a chance on the way out to make sure nothing is going on around my vehicle as I approach. With your situation, remember the placard next time, yea, I know it is on your never forget again list, but parking up close to the store sometimes also has its disadvantages.

Glad everything turned out fine.
    tdave likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Thanks to all who responded. The "Conundrum" was of my own making I had previously planned in terms of if the wife is with me we are parked in handicapped close to the store where things tend not to happen if I am by myself retreat is an option. Her forgetting her placard threw a wrench in that line of thinking and I am rethinking as a result. Walmart didn't seem skeptical but maybe they were humoring her. Again thanks all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links