Did not have to draw my firearm

This is a discussion on Did not have to draw my firearm within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Several years ago on a cold winter evening my wife and I decided to go for a walk. We live in a small city in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Did not have to draw my firearm

Several years ago on a cold winter evening my wife and I decided to go for a walk. We live in a small city in upstate New York which is mostly a bedroom community. While walking we came to an intersection where we found the sidewalk very icy so we stopped for a moment and were laughing about our situation.

A car then pulls up partly on the sidewalk and stopped about fifteen feet away. The driver said something which I couldn't hear but I sensed something wrong as my wife clutched my arm. Then he said "Drop your wallet and keep on walking!" I placed my hand on the grip of my Model 19 S & W which I kept under my coat, having the gun ready but out of sight. The driver then repeated his demand and added "He has a girl with him!", meaning my wife.

At this time I noticed the cars interior light come on as both front doors began to open. Keeping my right hand on the S & W, I crouched on one knee and said "Don't come any closer, leave us alone". The passenger said "He, (meaning myself), may have a gun. let's go". And they drove off. The police responded in a moment as it was called in by a passer by. I was told that these drive by robberies were not uncommon.

A few days later one of our city judges told me that he read the police report and I did everything by the book. He told me that based on what he heard if it had progressed any further deadly force would have been justified. Moral of the story is that my years of training and keeping my cool paid off.

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to the forum and well played.
    Spade115 and gatorbait51 like this.
    "We've already run the misfits out of our country." Matthew Quigley

Distinguished Member
    Good outcome. Seems you made the best out of a possibly bad situation. Nicely done.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you and your wife were not only okay, but that you also didn't have to possibly take a life that night.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Welcome form Michigan!

Good thing you do not reside in the Peoples Republik of Bloomberg part of NY.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Welcome from Colorado! Well done

Chad
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

Hi from Nashville
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Welcome from Nevada

Glad to see it worked out well. Well done!
    BTW....Hi there, from New hampsire! Glad to have you aboard.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by BAR View Post

Then he said "Drop your wallet and keep on walking!"

A few days later one of our city judges told me that he read the police report and I did everything by the book. He told me that based on what he heard if it had progressed any further deadly force would have been justified. Moral of the story is that my years of training and keeping my cool paid off.
    Clear robbery situation, possibly strong-arm but very likely armed robbery. In most states, nobody's legally required to just suck it up and comply, requiring that it progress further. And in many states, drawing is not the equivalent of firing. But then, you were in NY.

Sounds like you did everything right. By your body language, statement and eyes, you showed you weren't going to allow it to happen. They didn't see the weapon, but they knew they were in for a bad time if they didn't leave. Kudos, for making it home safe. I'd have had my hand on the gun as well, if not have already drawn it at the moment of the attempted robbery. But thankfully I live in a place where that sort of thing (robbery) just isn't tolerated well, by either the citizens or the constabulary.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by NRA1945 View Post
    be careful with this... there are those on here who would've told you to use pepper spray or "equal force" instead (whatever that is).

"Equal force" to a robbery with implied threat of "or else" hanging in the wind. Hard to ignore the "or else" in any robbery.

There are some who'd see a robbery as something less. Thankfully, I'm not one of them, and I live in a state full of such folks.

Robbery is what it is. In the OP's case, he obviously was prepared in advance, prepared to use whatever force he deemed necessary to survive what manifestly was coming, and he got lucky when the BG's backed out. The clear means and threat of force the BG's didn't want turned the tide, there, I'd say.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Welcome.
    They think they don't need firearms because they never have needed them.

"God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal (more or less)."

Practice makes perfect.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Yep--good job.

Welcome to the forum.

Stick around, read lots--there are folks here with lots and lots of experience (I do NOT count myself amongst that august group).

This is a great forum, lots of mutual respect and no name calling, rude behavior and other ill-advised and boorish behavior
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Welcome from Alaska, Done good.

Welcome, I'm glad everything worked out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links