Post incident ?

Post incident ?

This is a discussion on Post incident ? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do the police routinely engrave evidence numbers on guns taken from shooters? If you discharge your firearm in self defense, do they routinely take and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Post incident ?

Post incident ?

Do the police routinely engrave evidence numbers on guns taken from shooters?
    If you discharge your firearm in self defense, do they routinely take and hold your firearm?
    I have a concern that one of my very expensive firearms could be irreversibly defaced with an evidence number engraved on it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Certified Infidel

I doubt they'll engrave. More likely it'll have a tag placed on it with the evidence number or placed in a bag with an evidence number.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

That will probably be the least of your worries.
    Stevew, Secret Spuk, PEF and 5 others like this.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Buy a cheap gun.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

And they will take and hold the weapon for much longer than you'd like.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    I wouldn't carry something rare or collectible for this reason. Expensive is OK (by me). You've got a very small chance of it ever happening, unless you're working private security or something.

VIP Member
    Should have bought a Glock .................................................. ........ Just Kidding

I doubt they would engrave the gun Police do not have them type tools . Many years ago our company was ask to give a price to cut up guns .Never was awarded the contract .
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    Don't carry anything you can't live without for months or longer.
    gatorbait51 and brocktice like this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    If the police confiscate your gun it will be tagged and "tossed" into a bin. At disposition time it will be dropped into a shopping basket of some kind and hauled into court. If a judge rules that you were justified, your gun will be returned to the police and you can pick it up there. It will not be handled like you would handle it yourself. If there is a trial it may be many years before you see it again, if ever. look at GZs trial. He was acquitted and the judge ordered the release of all evidence. But before he picked it up the AG ordered all evidence be held for later investigation. All this time its been sitting in a bin with many others, still uncleaned and if it had body fluids on it they are very corrosive, and eating away at the finish.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Buy a cheap gun.
    Like a Glock
    rammerjammer and Ksgunner like this.

They do not engrave evidence,sometimes they do engrave their own firearms they issue identifying the Agency and sometimes the Badge number of LEO issued to
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrike6 View Post
    Do the police routinely engrave evidence numbers on guns taken from shooters?
    If you discharge your firearm in self defense, do they routinely take and hold your firearm?
    I have a concern that one of my very expensive firearms could be irreversibly defaced with an evidence number engraved on it.
    No engraving is not a normal practice. A paper tag is normally used and attached to the gun.

Yes, they will normal take and hold the weapon until the decision is made of whether charges are to be filed.

If you've been involved in a shooting incident, your gun being defaced is the least of your worries. Just be glad your in a position to worry about it!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Wondering how many of the above comments were made by cops who've made gun arrests. The true answer is maybe yes, maybe no. One point of evidence during a trial is that the gun presented in court is the exact same gun used in the crime. Myself and most cops will engrave, or scratch our shield#, Tax#, and maybe the voucher# into the firearm. This is the case with illegal possesion cases. In a case of self defense by an officer or a non sworn civilian we usually depend on the serial number. Not that were being nice guys, but in an affermative defense the owner has admited to possesion of the gun.

Often firearms are taken into custody to determine true ownership, or for safekeeping. There is no reason to mark these guns other than ignorance or downright mean.

In my department a gun(s) taken into custody are made safe, and sealed in a plastic envelope, or a oak-tag envelope. The envelope has a chain of custody listing on the front. The envelope is individually numberd with the voucher# (invoice). The firearm is secured and logged in to the stationhouse evidence locker. The next day the property clerk picks up the vouchered gun and ammo. It's signed out and taken to the ballistics section where the tech signs for it and makes an entry to the envelope. The gun is tested for function, the ammo tested for function and a record of the ballistic characteristics is recorded. The gun then is resealed in the same envelope and removed to the property clerk warehouse for storage. aIt is NOT cleaned, oiled, played with, wiped down or touched until the case comes to trial.

I owned an illinois state troopers gun it was stamped with a number that corresponds with a fired bullet and casing on file with feds according to the Leo.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Engraving evidence numbers on mags and firearms depends on the department. That varies a lot, but where I live, I was told that it was a possibility that when the gun is returned (one of these days) it could be marked. The department will take and hold your gun, all of your mags, and your ammo in the event of a shooting (they did mine anyway) and you will get them back in most cases once the prosecutor decides not to file any charges against you, ruling the shooting justifiable. If you have to go to court becasue the guy you shot survived (yeah, me again) they will hold your firearm until the suspect is sentenced. In some counties, such as in Ohio, departments have policies on the books that allow them to keep your firearm, and you don't get it back. Ever, or until a judge rules it be returned to you, which judges in Cleveland are unlikely to do. This was in the news recently when a man sued the department to get his Taurus revolver back after his gun was taken by police after they arested him for unlawfully discharging a firearm (he never shot it) and loitering (on his own property.)
    gatorbait51 and BadgerJ like this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links