Carjacking / Kidnapping

This is a discussion on Carjacking / Kidnapping within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So what a terrible start to the week Monday has been. A close female friend of mine was picking up her child from his preschool ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree145Likes

Thread: Carjacking / Kidnapping

Carjacking / Kidnapping

So what a terrible start to the week Monday has been. A close female friend of mine was picking up her child from his preschool Monday afternoon. She was driving with the front windows down on her truck as the weather was nice. After getting her son from school, she comes to a stop at a stop sign. As she is waiting for traffic to clear, a tall black male reaches in through the open passenger side window, unlocks the door and gets into her truck. This is when he brandishes a gun and tells her he wants her to drive him around, with her son in the back seat.
    The situation began so fast, she knew he had gotted the drop on her. She weighed that her best option was to comply with what he asked. They stopped at a liquor store (surveillance results pending), some other dirtbag's house, and drove around the city while the dirtbag did cocaine off the dash of her truck. During the stops, her and the kid stayed in the truck while he took her keys and phone. The situation came to an end with her dropping him off at a Food Lion close to where it all started. Start to end was about 1.5 hours.

No one was hurt. In fact her son fell asleep while they were riding around. County investigators interviewed her and the crime scene unit processed the truck for finger prints.

I know people will ask if she owns a gun and yes she has a Taurus Judge. Even has her carry permit. However she left it at home that afternoon. She did have a knife with her but we all know the disparity of force between knives and guns. I wasn't in her shoes, so I can't say if it would have made any difference if she were armed. When there is a child in the vehicle and something like that happens, you have to consider their safety foremost.

Its now five days after Thanksgiving and im thankful for being able to sit and eat dinner with them tonight.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    two words: ejection seat.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    two words: ejection seat.
    Come to think of it, she was in the Navy. She might know some people with the parts I would need to make this happen.
    gatorbait51 and squid86 like this.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    just make sure she is under a bridge when she pushed the red button.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Why on God's green Earth would you ever drive around town with the passenger side window down?
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Do it all the time in summer. It called having a truck with no AC. Or wanting to breathe real air.

Course my truck doors dont lock anyway and the passenger side one is held up by a two by four.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Truly grateful her and the boy are OK. Let the professionals handle it from here. She has given them the locations. This could have been a terrible outcome.

i drive around with all 4 down during the summer, but only my driver is down 100%. the rest are at about 50%. but then, i also don't leave my gun at home. especially the judge, which would be my car gun of choice as well. it's on my long list.

what's the old saying? something about leaving your carry gun in the truck....i'm sure it can be extended to leaving your car gun in the house. Thank goodness she is alright. bet she won't leave it at home anymore.
    It's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Do it all the time in summer. It called having a truck with no AC. Or wanting to breathe real air.

Course my truck doors dont lock anyway and the passenger side one is held up by a two by four.
    Hahaha! I hear that. I drive an '88 Chevy 3/4 ton truck, no air (well, it has air but needs to be recharged- hasn't worked in years). But it doesn't have power windows and I ain't crawling across the cab to run the passenger window up and down. Just rolling down the driver's side is enough for me.
    vice87, gatorbait51 and Tundra5.7 like this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

VIP Member
    As terrible as it was, it could easily have been horribly worse. Lots of lessons there for everybody.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by nti06 View Post
    During the stops, her and the kid stayed in the truck while he took her keys and phone.
    Why didn't she and the kid get out of the truck and walk away during one of these stops?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    Why didn't she and the kid get out of the truck and walk away during one of these stops?
    In fight, flight or freeze situations, most freeze.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    The first thing I thought of. She had a knife, so she could have slashed a tire before she took off on foot so he couldn't easily catch up with her. Of course, depending on the age of the kid, she may not have been able to flee very quickly. The stops may have also been places with full front glass and view of the vehicle. Lots of variables.
    gatorbait51 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Hahaha! I hear that. I drive an '88 Chevy 3/4 ton truck, no air (well, it has air but needs to be recharged- hasn't worked in years). But it doesn't have power windows and I ain't crawling across the cab to run the passenger window up and down. Just rolling down the driver's side is enough for me.
    The best thing ever invented for this is a sliding rear window. Open that baby up along with the driver window and you're set.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Always easy to be an arm chair quarterback after the event...... "why didn't she do this or that"
    Most times these events are good learning experiences for all involved and those that have been told, Others might learn from this experience.
    Thank God everything turned out ok for her and her child.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links