Would you sacrifice your gun rights to save a life?

This is a discussion on Would you sacrifice your gun rights to save a life? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been thinking about this for some time and still not sure where I stand/what I'd do...which side of the aisle am I on so ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree234Likes

Thread: Would you sacrifice your gun rights to save a life?

VIP Member

I've been thinking about this for some time and still not sure where I stand/what I'd do...which side of the aisle am I on so to speak.

Scenario: Let's say you are in a no gun zone like a school or bank and you are dropping off/picking up your child. As you wait, you notice a suspicious character go into the school or bank. You don't think too much about it until your hear shots go off. You know it will be a number of minutes before law enforcement shows up to do their duty. What do you do? Sit in your car/call the 911/wait? Or do you go in with your firearm knowing you could save a life or many lives including that of your own child before BG takes multiple lives?

Listen...I know there is so many more details that are left out of this scenario that beg many questions. I'm just wondering with this rudimentary scenario laid out there...what would you do? Potentially save a life, maybe lose your own, or at the very least potentially lose the right to carry a firearm legally? Would you risk it knowing very well that when law enforcement shows up they might put you in cuffs, throw you in jail, throw the proverbial book at you, and lose your gun rights?

As I sit here tonight and think/type...I would hope I had the courage to do it.

What about you?

Please Note:
    All answers in this thread should be considered to be in the hypothetical as to answer otherwise would (of course) possibly be a forum rule violation.
    gatorbait51 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I also hope I would have the courage to do the right thing even at the cost of my carry license and maybe worse. I am afraid that at my age I would stay outside, call 911, and pray - and I'm not proud of that. We don't really know, though, do we?
    gatorbait51 and niks like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Bank, I most likely don't intervene and would try to get a good witness.

School, I go in and do what ever I can to protect the kids. I do have a 8 year old and a 6 year old in school now. I will have my third in school next year. I just can't sit by and let kids be harmed if I have ANY chance to prevent it.

In a situation as you described? If my child was already in the school, you better believe I'd be running in there, no-gun zone or not. If my child wasn't? I don't know. Hard to say. If I DEFINITELY heard shots, and there was no doubt what was going on…I might go in. Short of any specific details that make real life real, that's my initial reaction. I have found on several occasions that I don't sit idly by when I can do something. So based on other scenarios that I have reacted to, that's what I'm going to go with.

If I lose my gun rights later because of it, I'd probably be appealing court rulings.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Bank? Probably let 'em go.

School? Advance to the sound of gunfire, hopefully with a buddy but solo if I need to. Deal with consequences later. I'd rather sit the rest of my life either in jail or on the floor sputtering lung tissue than waking up every morning in a warm bed just to see the face of a coward in the mirror - a coward that let kids die.

VIP Member
    I think it's a pretty big, and far off, guess to say that "at the very least you'd lose your right to carry" under that sort of scenario. In some of the farthest of the far left places like NYC or Chicago you might actually face some sort of state charge but no way would most states touch something like that and neither would the Federal government; the voter backlash would make the Clinton AWB seem tiny.

I'm assuming that we're talking about intervening and stopping a hostile act... I doubt you'd even see a GJ over something like that.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I feel like, short of living in NYC or similar, they'd probably cut you a break if you went into a school and stopped a mass shooting and saved a bunch of little kids' lives. I don't think anybody would want to see you lose your rights after that. But who knows.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

It's called a Defense of Necessity, and is a recognized legal doctrine. If peoples lives are being lost, advance to the sound of the conflict and do your best to stop the killing.

USM C-4

From the Hub City of the South

============================
    "Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull." - Arya Stark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    =
    "The six-shooter loaded with deadly cartridges is a dangerous companion for any man, especially if he should unfortunately be primed with whiskey." - Texas Live Stock Journal, June 5, 1884
    "Leave Your Revolvers At Police Headquarters and Get a Check." - Sign outside Wichita, 1873.

I, for one, will be dayumed if I get shot trying to save Bank Of America's money.

Hearing what "sounded" like gunshots, no. Actually seeing an active shooter, yes I would engage them.
    gatorbait51 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

VIP Member
    If I were living up North , it might take a second to decide. Down here, 1/4 second to go in.
    zonker1986 and tcox4freedom like this.

Not many things in life more valuable than the lives of innocent children. In a heartbeat I would be in a school.
    If the powers to be prosecute me for such an action, it would be the last straw and I would have to find another country to live in, as this one is too far gone.
    gatorbait51 and NONAME762 like this.
    William Wallace: There's a difference between us. You think the people of this country exist to provide you with position. I think your position exists to provide those people with freedom. And I go to make sure that they have it.

There is the law of lessor evils in most states or something like called different things. At its base it states that if you commit what would otherwise be a violation in an effort to prevent a greater danger to public individual etc than the violation itself would present then its a justified act.

Banks here they arent gun free zones. So no biggie on that count as far as legal backlash. . Active shooter at a school? Same law would appy and even it didnt, I couldnt just stand there be a good witness and let kids be slaughtered without trying to do something about it. That just me though.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    A bank , well, if it appeared there was about to be some killings for the fun of it, yeah, I'd go . Hopefully using the felons own lack of attention against them and praying the PD would hurry the heck up. .

My daughter's school? To protect her and her students? Not even a twitch of doubt. Oldest girl's office? Same thing. Make no mistake, I am no fire breather , I want to live a long time more, but either of my kids in danger, then if I do nothing and they are hurt or killed, then my life is effectively over. Better to do all I can ,even if it is me alone , to stop monsters.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I have to say everyone will have a different take on this and what I am going to say is what I have seen over the years. One of two things will happen and it will be determined by how you asses what is going down, number one you will act and do what you think is right or you will leave and believe it or not they can both be right. You can train 100 ways to figure out what to do but guess what it won't be what is happening you will have to adjust to what is happening and the worst thing that a person can do is over think, do what you know you can do and do it well because there is not a absolute answer.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links