hypothetical: letting a friend use your BUG

This is a discussion on hypothetical: letting a friend use your BUG within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just watching some videos on youtube of self defense with a gun caught on tape and was thinking, if there are multiple assailants ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: hypothetical: letting a friend use your BUG

I was just watching some videos on youtube of self defense with a gun caught on tape and was thinking, if there are multiple assailants and your with a friend who you know knows their stuff could you let them use your BUG so that you have a better chance against multiple attackers. I know there are a lot of what ifs, say your in a dennys and assume this friend does not have a permit but is not a felon. Owns and regularly trains with handguns. Could this get you in trouble if it ever had to take place. Would you even give up your BUG or save it for a jic scenario.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

He's not a felon? No problem. He shoots it's his problem.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

If there were multiple people shooting at me, I would give a friend who had never touched a gun my spare one if I had one. "Here! Aim and squeeze!"

VIP Member
    This is a great scenario. If I'm in a situation that is life and death and I have a BUG and a friend with me, I am going to give him the gun so he can defend himself and we can get out alive. I'll worry about the legal issues after we survive.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yes this .
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Senior Moderator
    Most of the guys I hang out with have their own guns.

However...in the highly unlikely event that I was out with someone that was unarmed, I might be hesitant unless I knew their capabilities.

Legally you should have no problems.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    I can't think of anyone that I would ever be with where such a scenario could occur. I'd be on my own.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm all for leveling the field and giving my bud a bug.
    StormRhydr and BenGoodLuck like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Friend does not have a permit for what? Touch a gun? As long as he doesn't carry it concealed, I'd think he'd be OK to present a visible weapon YOU produced (do you have a permit?) to engage a threat to his or whomever's life. I'm thinking if it was a deadly assault, details like this would probably be minor, IMO.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

If it's that bad, I wouldn't care if s/he's felon. What I would care about is if I could shoot better with my support hand than they could with both of theirs.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I'd give him both guns and tell him to handle it.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Most of my friends who I regularly hang around with have permits.

If by chance they didn't have their gun I would have no problem giving them one of mine. Even if I was with someone who doesn't have a permit and doesn't regularly carry I would still give them an extra gun if I had one and thought they could benefit the situation by having one.

Now if I thought the person would do more damage than good, no I would keep any extra guns I happen to have.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    About 25 years ago when I was a patrol officer, another officer and I got into a scuffle while making an arrest in a fairly large government housing complex. It was dark and most of the street lights were shot out. During the scuffle which attracted ALOT of attention from the residents. After securing the suspect the other officer discovered that his S&W Mod 19 was missing from his holster and my rechargeable Maglite was also lost in the scuffle. I gave the other officer my Chief's Special that I carried in an ankle holster. We were pretty much surrounded by a growing crowd. Back-up arrived later without having to go to "hats & bats" and we recovered the Mod 19 & my Maglite. No one ever gave me a hard time again for carrying a BUG.
    TomC51, BenGoodLuck and oldnfat like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

It's very rare that I have a second gun with me unless I'm coming back from the range. There is one situation though where I almost always have at least two guns, and that's while camping. About half the time I'm alone, the other times I'm with my brother. He can shoot pretty well but doesn't have any handguns (just a shotgun and a .22 rifle), and despite my nagging he never "gets around to" getting his CCW permit. So if he and I were out in the woods and had a potential "Deliverance" scenario unfolding I would quickly hand him a cocked-and-locked HK USPf9 and I go to work with the HK P30S.

If for some reason I had a BUG and was with someone who 1) could shoot and knew how to operate the gun and 2) didn't think to bring one I would consider passing him/her my BUG. Trying to envision the scenario though were I would see trouble coming far enough ahead to do so.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    I'd give him both guns and tell him to handle it.
    That, people, is pure genius.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links