Philosophical Question: Which would you carry?

This is a discussion on Philosophical Question: Which would you carry? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You only have two handguns, one .380acp and one 9mm. They are both semis, somewhat similar in function and close to the same size and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Philosophical Question: Which would you carry?

You only have two handguns, one .380acp and one 9mm. They are both semis, somewhat similar in function and close to the same size and ammo capacity, although the 9mm holds a couple more rounds. You've shot both plenty, and the .380 has eaten everything you've fed it and has yet to malfunction. The 9mm however, has had about 4 or 5 reliability issues so far with feeding and/or ejecting and is known to be finicky with certain ammo types.

Which one would you carry for self defense?

The 9mm. If I've spent enough time with it to know it's finicky with certain ammo, I've spent enough time to know what brand it'll eat reliably.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

The 9mm (9x19) with the right ammo if it took (+P short bbl ammo) reliably, or the .380acp (9x17) with +P JHP (if the maker allows +P).

Actually, it is what I do in very HOT weather, except the 9mm I own has no issues, but the .380acp is for deep-cover (discrete) times.
    The .380 will get you home.... been there.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

VIP Member
    The 380 until I had the problems worked out with the 9mm. Unless the 9mm issues were all related to it not liking specific ammo loads. In that case the 9 with ammo it likes.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    The 9mm. If I've spent enough time with it to know it's finicky with certain ammo, I've spent enough time to know what brand it'll eat reliably.
    I never said the 9mms reliability issues could be tamed only by using a certain ammo brand, just that it's finicky. You don't know when or where the next failure might occur, if at all.

Senior Moderator
    Reliability is of absolute necessity when carrying a gun for self defense.

Me, I'd get that 9mm up and running. When I had no doubts about it, then and only then would I carry it.

Until then, I'd have to go with the .380. Once I got the 9mm where it should be, I'd make the switch.

Having spent some time collecting paychecks from Uncle Sam, I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law, which states "if anything can go wrong, it will".

Having any issues with a carry gun carries a high probability that when you need it to function properly, it probably wont.
    OD*, PEF, zacii and 1 others like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Get rid of the firearm that is not functioning properly and get one that does.
    zacii, BurgerBoy and Shiver like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NRA1945 View Post
    I never said the 9mms reliability issues could be tamed only by using a certain ammo brand, just that it's finicky. You don't know when or where the next failure might occur, if at all.
    Assumptions on my part. .380 then if it's not related to ammo.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Unless its totally screwed up ive seen few 9mm that wont feed ball ammo. If the 9mm will feed ball thats what i go with as opposed to 380.

If its a totally screwed up pistol that wont even feed FMJ? Then its history and would have to carry 380 till a another 9 could be had.
    maxwell97 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    carry both or get rid of both and get a reliable .45
    pittypat21 and novaX522 like this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

I'd sell both of them and get something reliable.

Small .380 autos aren't my cup of tea.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Sell both and buy a reliable pistol in a caliber with which I am confident, accurate, and competent.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Sell both and buy a reliable pistol in a caliber with which I am confident, accurate, and competent.
    HEY No FAIR. Im stuck carrying 9mm with ball by the op or a 380 while you get to go gun shopping. FOUL FOUL Where is that darn penalty flag????
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    The .380 until I got the 9mm back from whoever made it. If the 9 could not be made reliable, it'd be the .380 forever.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!

The one you think is best. That little voice is telling you which one it is. Stop asking us and trust the force Luke!
    The pen may be mightier than the sword, but a .45 caliber sword on the right hip can come in pretty handy sometime.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links