Situation Question for LEO or anybody else

This is a discussion on Situation Question for LEO or anybody else within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Situation: Out walking the dog at night in a city park or wherever. You are carrying a gun concealed (legally) and a tactical flashlight. You ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Situation Question for LEO or anybody else

Situation Question for LEO or anybody else

Situation: Out walking the dog at night in a city park or wherever. You are carrying a gun concealed (legally) and a tactical flashlight. You notice 3 or 4 people coming towards you and you are saying to yourself this does not look good but not really sure.

Being aware of the surrounding, there is really nowhere to go except towards the group. You do not want this group towards your back (would be my guess). As you get closer, the more you become not sure of the situation.

What do you do?

I know that you do not pull the gun but do you let them see that you are carrying a weapon.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

What kind of dog? A Rottweiler or other large breed is going to factor differently than Chihuahua or a Corgi.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I move off the path or sidewalk for the benefit of the dog, stop and let the dog explore, and evaluate their movements while I watch them closely. I also flash the torch a few times so they know I have it. I have a grip on my EDC, ready to draw. I watch them continuously, facing them, discreetly. They will know, if they have bad intentions, they are not getting the jump on me. I typically do not walk where my movements are constricted, by the way.

Just watch them so that I can spot any start of anything that actually would warrant a reaction. Keep as much distance as possible without looking like I am.

So far they arent doing anything but walking. If they do ill sic the Pit Yorkie on them
    manolito and gatorbait51 like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I would just walk pass them but walk around them and not between them, you still have no reason to pull you weapon just because, you will position yourself in a way that you will have room to pull with your eyes on them. I would turn my head around in a way that I'm still keep walking ahead without running into a pole but this just my opinion.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

I proceed upon my merry way and do nothing...because they have done nothing other than to walk towards me.

While they are walking towards me, I will smile at them, while I am mentally preparing on how to most efficiently, wickedly and quickly kill everyone of them.

What makes them "not look good"? Just step off the path and let them by.. My signature explains it more in depth
    gatorbait51 and Arborigine like this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

Quote Originally Posted by KnotRight View Post
    Situation: Out walking the dog at night in a city park or wherever. You are carrying a gun concealed (legally) and a tactical flashlight. You notice 3 or 4 people coming towards you and you are saying to yourself this does not look good but not really sure.

Being aware of the surrounding, there is really nowhere to go except towards the group. You do not want this group towards your back (would be my guess). As you get closer, the more you become not sure of the situation.

What do you do?

I know that you do not pull the gun but do you let them see that you are carrying a weapon.
    Nope... not until and unless I am in fear of grave bodily harm. This might be the semi-annual meeting of the "Wild Hogs" and nothing more; the last thing I want is them whipping out their iPhone 5s and calling 911 to report a MWAG.

As you painted the scenario, you said "there is really nowhere to go except towards the group." Really? What prevents you from stopping your advancement toward that group? Is there no opportunity to stop, or to move laterally, or to reverse your course? As a devout coward, I'd prefer to maintain my distance by whatever reasonable means available.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

gasmitty,

The parks downtown have walkways through them and have some dim lights on the walk ways. I do not think that I would want to get off the main walkway and into a darker spot in the park. Again, this did not happen but i do walk my dog (beagle) every night through the neighborhood, maybe to a local shopping center or sometime downtown.

Just thinking about situations.............
    gatorbait51 and WrongRecroom like this.

Yes, there are places to go. Unless you are walking on a footbridge over water, or something, you have options.

As far as going further into dim light...you have a flashlight. You could quickly scope out that area, head into it, then have the potential BGs outlined in the the light, (which you might find handy), and you more hidden. If they come after you, you have your answer.
    gatorbait51 and atctimmy like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Let your poochie dog kill them all and let God sort them out.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

It's a good thing you have a tactical flashlight... A normal bright star, or K-Mart two for a dollar special will have sealed your fate.

Seriously... I'm another vote for let the dog lead you off the path towards some foliage. Also I'd have drawn , and held my gun out of sight if they made me that nervous. My method is to always follow my first survival thoughts. I try an act before my civilized mind uses logic to explain away my fear.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    I step off the sidewalk with the dog at heel and allow them to pass.

This gets you a good look at all of them as they pass, keeps your front to them, and keeps the dog out of the way unless her services are required.

If one in the group would make a threatening gesture toward me or the dog it wouldn't turn out well. But I'm not walking a poodle either.

I run into this very scenario quite often and this is what I do. Mostly though, a person or group will cross the street before meeting us when Lisl is with me.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

With this new "knockout" game going on - I am VERY leery of letting anyone walking close to me without moving out of the way. I would not draw, but I would maintain distance at all costs.
    Oldpsufan and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    Start ranting and raving at some invisible person there with you. The crazier you act the better. NO ONE messes with a crazy person!!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links