Unholstering Scenario

Unholstering Scenario

This is a discussion on Unholstering Scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry locked and loaded IWB. However, occassionally I get sent into a place I am not allowed to carry and have to unholster to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Unholstering Scenario

Unholstering Scenario

I carry locked and loaded IWB. However, occassionally I get sent into a place I am not allowed to carry and have to unholster to leave my EDC in the vehicle. But, my wife is with and stays in the car.

Do you feel she is illegaly in possession of a concealed and loaded weapon in a motor vehicle? What if I lock it in one of those personal vaults?

I plan on having her get her own CCW Permit but unti then?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I think locked in the glove box is okay in FL and GA.
    What state are living in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." -- Paul

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdschoolerjdsch View Post
    I carry locked and loaded IWB. However, occassionally I get sent into a place I am not allowed to carry and have to unholster to leave my EDC in the vehicle. But, my wife is with and stays in the car.

Do you feel she is illegaly in possession of a concealed and loaded weapon in a motor vehicle? What if I lock it in one of those personal vaults?

I plan on having her get her own CCW Permit but unti then?
    YES - where I live, if she and the gun are in the car she is legally in possession of the gun. That is why several of the guys in our shooting group have really pushed their wives to get a carry permit even if they will never actually carry a gun themselves!

If you lock it in a vault I do not think your wife is in possession of it - at least, not if she isn't carrying the key for the vault.

Where you live the law may be different.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Yeah, its a problem easy to run in to. Then again, Id rather defend my wife against a charge, than have her left defenseless.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

40bob is a ND instructor if he does not chime in send him a PM he should be able to help. As far as my state is concern it is a no no.....
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

In Ga you do not need a licence to have a pistol in the car. Look at handgunlaw.us and it should answer your question.
    CWOLDOJAX and gatorbait51 like this.

What does your state law say about a handgun in the open in an occupied vehicle. That answers your question.
    gatorbait51 and PEF like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    Start here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northdakota.pdf

Then, from there, you can find links to sections of the ND Handgun laws.

It is a good exercise for you to know your state laws regarding handgun possession.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I would think i would go by what the law states so far as leaving it in the car.I know in my state,it just simply needs to be in the glovebox or console.It doesn't have to be locked.Just in a compartment that will close.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Perfect, it is settled then. We need to get her a CCW License ASAP. Its a good excuse. Then she will do it for me.
    BadgerJ likes this.

In Colorado, you have the same rights to carry as in your home, that is, locked and loaded no CHP needed unless it's concealed on your person.

Where I live you are not carrying unless it's on you. And if it's your car and she's a passenger, even if you are not in your car at the time, you are in control of your gun and she has nothing to do with it. That's how it was explained to me. The car has to be registered to your name and also your gun.

I rarely leave my gun in the car but sometimes you are forced to for a short time. I suggest a nano vault or the like bolted under your seat for those times.

You are correct. In ND she needs a permit to be legal. As HB stated I am a ND Concealed Carry test Administrator. Where in ND are you located.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by Jdschoolerjdsch View Post

Do you feel she is illegaly in possession of a concealed and loaded weapon in a motor vehicle?
    Imagine being in an anti-gunner state with a zealot DA. What do you think they would think, so long as the state statute defining "possession" as being within one's control (ie, someplace within the cabin, easily accessible)? Shouldn't really matter whether that person doesn't happen to have put it there, owns it, or is "just" a passenger in that car next to the weapon.

Personally, I just see it as another tool, and something that's left in the glovebox until you return ... not something that means the other person is possessing it for the duration. But what I think isn't the point.

Taking the pessimist view, yes I'd suggest you should consider possession of that firearm to be similar to possession of the purse in her hands. In terms of accessibility, it's no different. The anti-gunners would surely see it that way.

If you're going to leave it behind in an occupied vehicle, I'd lock it up in a manner where the people inside the car don't have access. Hard to claim they don't have access unless you do that. And a person can indeed get in trouble if caught "in possession" (with access). Better safe than sorry, at least until such time as your state statutes change to allow vehicle carry without a CHL or she gets her CHL.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links