Dealing with trespassers on the farm.

This is a discussion on Dealing with trespassers on the farm. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You own an acreage. It's rifle deer season and from the farm house you see two trespassers in orange walking in off the road to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Dealing with trespassers on the farm.

Dealing with trespassers on the farm.

You own an acreage. It's rifle deer season and from the farm house you see two trespassers in orange walking in off the road to hunt. The county sheriff and game warden are a minimum of 30 minutes away, and expecting them to get there in time to write a citation is futile. So you hop on the 4-wheeler to go run the trespassers off. They are obviously armed with high powered rifles. Do you:

A. Carry concealed when you approach them.

B. Open carry when you approach them.

C. Stay at the house and call the county sheriff or game warden.

2. Remove Ads

C. Call if your concerned.

If they are doing something inherently dangerous that I must intercept either A or B.

By dangerous I mean immediate threat. Shooting towards my animals, other homes, etc.

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
    "People crushed by law, have no hopes but from power. If laws are their enemies, they will be enemies to laws; and those who have much to hope and nothing to lose, will always be dangerous." - Edmund Burke 10-08-1777
    5lima30ret likes this.
    "Ours is the only country deliberately founded on a good idea." ~John Gunther

Grew up in Iowa, had to deal with this all the time. Call C and approach B was what I was doing as a 15 year old kid.
    fredg53 likes this.
    They think they don't need firearms because they never have needed them.

"God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal (more or less)."

Practice makes perfect.

If the guys are wearing blaze orange and its daylight hours, chances are they are mistaken about property lines and not outright poaching (although there's the "hide in plain sight" thing that should be allowed for). I would first call the sheriff and/or game warden, but if I'm on the 4-wheeler I'm also in blaze orange. Next thing I'd do is get the plate number off the truck, and if I'm really in a bad mood (like if I think these guys have trespassed before), I might let the air out of a tire. I doubt I would confront them in the field, but I'd have my own rifle on the 4-wheeler (as long as I don't drive on a public right of way), and I'd be glassing them to keep track of where they are.

At worst, they'll get a deer or two, before the law arrives. Not worth risking my life for if I don't know who they are. And if they're out there for hours before the law arrives, if they parked on your property, have the truck towed. Hopefully you'll be watching when they come back, with venison or without, and find their truck gone... that should be worth a laugh or two.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Poaching tresspassers dont wear blaze orange. Now that doesnt mean that they have any sense. And yeah, Id carry, but doubt it would be needed.
    5lima30ret and fredg53 like this.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I normally go down and talk to them. I open carried a handgun and had a rifle in the pickup. I've only had one or two that wanted to argue. DR

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Poaching tresspassers dont wear blaze orange. Now that doesnt mean that they have any sense. And yeah, Id carry, but doubt it would be needed.
    Sure they do. I have a regular poacher on my land and he wears blaze orange because he doesn't want to get shot.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    C is the smart choice....
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

In my much younger days, we had some acreage back in the middle of 'no where'...I disliked those hunters who parked on my property to hunt in my woods. Wouldn't you just know it, some vandals let the air out of all four of their truck tires. When they came back to the vehicle, they came pounding on my door, but didn't get much sympathy from me.

I was pretty aggressive and very bold back then...and it was all taking place on my land.
    Words were exchanged, I invited them to leave, and after the tow truck found them an hour or two later to fill their tires...they never came back.

If I were in that same situation today, I would probably not gamble an interaction over a deer...even on my property. I'd probably only deflate ONE tire, take a pic of the truck and call the sheriff.
    We're talking about a different 'society' today, than one 40 years ago. One never knows who would shoot someone else over a minor mishap, and it's not worth the hassle. I'm assuming that you have your land posted.

One thing you could do is instead of posting "No Hunting"...post "Hunting/$250 Per Day"...if caught, you have some pressure you can apply.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

On my land, I deal with it. Been doing it since I was a young kid from time to time though we usually let anyone that actually asked to hunt do so. Back then my family owned three farms so we didnt really care except to let them know which fields held cattle or horses so they would be careful not to shoot one.

Now the one I and my dad hunted was off limits to anyone but us. Never had a problem with hunters. Punks, thieves, the occasional steer killed at night and quartered if you could actually catch the person/person sometimes needed a little persuading, but never a problem with hunters as far as arguing about it.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    If you don't want people to hunt on your property it should be properly posted. If it is posted and they ignore the signs, they might not be the kind of folk who would be open to being told to leave. I see no sense in putting yourself in a potentially dangerous situation to prevent something that posses no threat to you. Take down the tag number and call the authorities.
    Ksgunner likes this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    If you don't want people to hunt on your property it should be properly posted. If it is posted and they ignore the signs, they might not be the kind of folk who would be open to being told to leave. I see no sense in putting yourself in a potentially dangerous situation to prevent something that posses no threat to you. Take down the tag number and call the authorities.
    In Ohio, it is illegal to hunt on private land without written permission of the property owner. No need to post.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Chai Vang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What do you think I would do?
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "The county sheriff and game warden are a minimum of 30 minutes away, and expecting them to get there in time to write a citation is futile."

Call anyhow. They'll probably still be there. Make sure your land is properly (IAW the law) posted and have them trespassed by LE.
    oneshot likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    In Ohio, it is illegal to hunt on private land without written permission of the property owner. No need to post.
    Same in CT, not that either the law or posting stops some people; usually the same ones who think putting holes
    in traffic signs is hunting.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links