Active School Shooter- What happens if the "good guy with a gun" is a student?

This is a discussion on Active School Shooter- What happens if the "good guy with a gun" is a student? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In light of Friday's local events, I have a couple basic questions: What would happen if another high school student had their own "illegal" gun ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Active School Shooter- What happens if the "good guy with a gun" is a student?

In light of Friday's local events, I have a couple basic questions:

What would happen if another high school student had their own "illegal" gun and stopped an active shooter?

Would they be vilified or treated as a hero?

Just curious about your thoughts...
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I think the media would either a. Vilify them or b. The situation would get little attention at all. They should be held as heroes, but I can't see that happening. That's pretty much the reason why I believe the gun control problem our country is facing is fueled mainly by the media. If everyday citizens didn't have the news ranting to them about how many people are killed by guns, then no matter what politicians said in their speeches, people wouldn't support it, and they wouldn't support the GC laws said politicians try to pass.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51, ex95B10 and K7lvo like this.

You can rest assured that the media would make it out as a student killed another innocent student in cold blood who was (by rare chance and circumstance) wandering the school with a gun.
    It is far from the media's biased objective to report anything such as that.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

It could happen but I won't hold my breath.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

There have already been instances where administrators, teachers, or other students stopped shooting sprees with legal guns....99% of the news media only reported that the person/persons were abler to "convince the shooter to surrender," without ever mentioning that they did so at the point of their own gun.

And I heard the ABC news say that the latest shooter had an "arsenal" of a shotgun, shells strapped to his body, a machete, molotove coctails and a knife!!!

Uhm, I KNOW that word doesn't mean what they want people to think it means.......

Purpose driven news to drive the anti's and low information voters into a frenzy.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

VIP Member
    We already have lots of precedents. Here is the report you will see distributed internationally:
    Heroes, victims remembered a year after Clackamas mall shooting | NWCN.com Washington - Oregon - Idaho

And this is the one that will receive next to no attention (caution-adult language):
    Oregon Mall Shooting Stopped By Nick Meli with Glock 22 - YouTube
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    If it is at a school that kid is going to be in a bit trouble with the law. If I have my gun in my car, locked up legally on school property and an active shooting starts, I can argue I broke the law because it was necessary to save lives. The kid would have broken the law before anything started and he would be in trouble for that.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Well obviously the media will talk about how two students got into a gun fight at school. One was shot and several bystanders were also hit.
    Film at eleven.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    What would happen if another high school student had their own "illegal" gun and stopped an active shooter?

Would they be vilified or treated as a hero?
    In this hateful, PC (when it suits them), anti-gun climate? Vilified to within an inch of his life, no doubt, merely due to being a student and being in possession ... irrespective of the number of lives he ostensibly saved.

Of course, in the end, neither fact could be dismissed: he would have been in unlawful possession, and in possession while at that campus as a minor student; and he would have been the cause of erasing the threat and likely saving countless lives. But given the media's history in this line of thinking, I think it's safe to say he'd be vilified, harshly, on principle for being a minor child and at a school, despite the benefits of the preparations.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Why would a good guy be illegally carrying a gun to school?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post

Self-defense?
    ccw9mm and gatorbait51 like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

People on a campus have equal need to defend against predators, when predators strike. Which is the point of the OP's question, really, not the "moral" dilemma of a child in a K-12 environment being armed.

Comes down to the classic fact: crime is in the hands of the criminal, the predator, not via being prepared to withstand predators (ie, not via merely having a tool for that purpose). Shouldn't really matter the age, as the principle is the same. (Granted, though, that with children it's different, and generally speaking there's very good reason why there are age minimums for things.)
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Because schools are the new hunting grounds?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Considering the insanity we have seen from those of authority in the public school system, my guess is they would hang them from the highest tree.
    gatorbait51 and Bassindude like this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

The parents would likely be prosecuted as well for allowing a minor unsupervised access to a handgun.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links