When to draw/shoot

When to draw/shoot

This is a discussion on When to draw/shoot within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This link popped up in another thread on another 2A site. It's a year or so old, but I thought it was a good read. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: When to draw/shoot

When to draw/shoot

This link popped up in another thread on another 2A site. It's a year or so old, but I thought it was a good read. It seems to go against conventional wisdom. And being post-Zimmerman, I don't know how applicable some of it might be. It's a good read though: Street robberies and you - The Basics - AR15.COM

I've read this through many times before.........I agree with it all, including drawing and holding the gun in the 'Covert Ready Position.....the fella knows what he's talkin' about.....read it and learn it.
    bandrich and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    In some states or districts, one must be careful about drawing as it may be considered brandishing. Better to fight the charge than pay the undertaker.
    gatorbait51 and bigpapa like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Good read.

VIP Member
    Great link. Thanks for posting.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Covert Ready Position......is drawn and held behind the leg to conceal from view.....have seen this done many times by LE.

Really good stuff. Drawing to covert ready: yet another reason why carry guns should always be black and matte.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Well written, but I would make an exception. If I have to draw and point my gun I'll call the police as soon as I safely can. I'd rather take the time to make a report and even offer to sign a complaint than have some criminal call them and report me for threatening, assault or some other act. These are people who have been around the block and while they don't like the police they can dial 911 and make a complaint to get an honest citizen in trouble.

Great posting. Another reason to read this forum daily.
    Operation Joint Endeavor, Bosnia and Herzegovina, US Army, 1st Armored Div (1995-96)
    SFOR, Stabilization Force, Bosnia and Herzegovina, US Army, 1st Armored Div (1997-98)
    Operation Iraqi Freedom, Iraq, US Army, 3rd Infantry Div (2007-08)
    Operation Enduring Freedom, Horn of Africa, US Army (2010)

Quote Originally Posted by GFRanger View Post
    Well written, but I would make an exception. If I have to draw and point my gun I'll call the police as soon as I safely can. I'd rather take the time to make a report and even offer to sign a complaint than have some criminal call them and report me for threatening, assault or some other act. These are people who have been around the block and while they don't like the police they can dial 911 and make a complaint to get an honest citizen in trouble.
    Good read and I haven't read the book referenced in the article but about to order it. GF^^ is correct about calling it in and filing a report (even though it might take all night and ruin whatever you had planned) because an anonymous tip that someone that fits your description is waving around a gun can easily be made then you are looking at LE guns pointed at you. If I don't pull it then I will go on my way but if I do then I will report it.
    robhic likes this.
    NRA Lifetime Member
    =“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” -George Orwell
    ="If you are more than 20 feet from your weapon while reading this thread you are doing it wrong." -Myself

Great info. Thanks. Powerful read.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    Thomas Jefferson

MJK
    Good read and solid advice. Speaking from experience...it works.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Distinguished Member
    Thanks for posting this. For someone like me who is still in the beginning stages of learning self defense with a gun, it was an easy read and made clear sense. Lots of good points.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GFRanger View Post
    I agreed with that before I got involved in the law enforcement world. Now my opinion is much more indifferent. Criminals don't call the police. Chances are you could shoot him and he wouldn't report it. That isn't to say someone may not see the interaction and call the police- but them "ratting" in very unlikely. It would be akin to those of us that are law abiding citizens car jacking someone.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I agreed with that before I got involved in the law enforcement world. Now my opinion is much more indifferent. Criminals don't call the police. Chances are you could shoot him and he wouldn't report it. That isn't to say someone may not see the interaction and call the police- but them "ratting" in very unlikely. It would be akin to those of us that are law abiding citizens car jacking someone.
    The people that are likely to call the police to report brandishing aren't the career criminals. Let's say I'm forced to pull a gun on a huge, muscular guy advancing on me screaming death threats because I cut in front of him in traffic (I'm a polite driver, but I need an example!) You're damn right I'm calling 911 ASAP. He's clearly trying to get even with me for a real or perceived slight, and he probably doesn't have outstanding warrants or street cred to worry about. This guy *will* call the cops.

On the other hand, three thugs trying to jump me on a dark street aren't calling the cops. Even if they aren't currently wanted, to these guys turning *anybody* in to the cops makes them a rat no matter who they're selling out. However, they might very well be calling a few of their closest friends to come take care of me very personally, so it may not be a bad idea to get as far away as possible.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links