What kind of weapon light do you prefer for your HD Weapon?

This is a discussion on What kind of weapon light do you prefer for your HD Weapon? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Merry Christmas to me!! Just bought a rail mounted weaponlight (Streamlight TLR-3 110 lumens) for my SigPro (.40 cal) bedside gun. Just wondering what other ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: What kind of weapon light do you prefer for your HD Weapon?

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar

Merry Christmas to me!!

Just bought a rail mounted weaponlight (Streamlight TLR-3 110 lumens) for my SigPro (.40 cal) bedside gun. Just wondering what other DC folks have.

Haven't even mounted it yet.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

I have the streamlight tl4 on a 45 .. But my bedside gun does not have rails so no light .But I got a hi bright flashlight next to it

I dont have any lighted guns as I dont have the money to get more holster . I do have laser on some but no lights

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    I don't really see a need for a WL on my carry weapons so no need for new holsters to accomodate a light. In fact, my EDC which is a Kahr CM-9 does not have a rail.

Maybe a laser for my carry weapons, but if I did I would use a Crimson Trace type that is incorporated into the grip to prevent the need for a new holster.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

I have Streamlight TRL-1HL mounted on all mine.
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    I don't really see a need for a WL on my carry weapons so no need for new holsters to accomodate a light. In fact, my EDC which is a Kahr CM-9 does not have a rail.

Maybe a laser for my carry weapons, but if I did I would use a Crimson Trace type that is incorporated into the grip to prevent the need for a new holster.

Amen to that. It makes you a PERFECT TARGET.

I have a TLR-1s on my glock. Its the same as the 1 but with strobe.

My current HD weapon sees a lot of double duty as a carry gun so I tend to leave the light unmounted out of laziness. But I do like it when it's on, it's a Surefire X300.

Merry Christmas. Hope you like your new light.

No handgun mounted lights for me though thanks.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    I was concerned about "raining on the thread writer's parade" but I see I have a like-minded feeling with you 1old about all this "hardware" on my firearms, especially in my home, where I know where I am and I know where everything is and where I can navigate in my house with the minimum light that is always present in my home (if you are in a pitch black cave where you cannot see you hand in front of your face--I'll give you that--but I doubt if that is where you live) and I'll be darned if I am going to allow a BG to know where I am or give him any light of any kind--it is one of my advantages in my house. This also goes for the old "racking of a shotgun" to scare a BG-- a BG who is probably high on who knows what and is has little regard for anything--this "racking" is a wive's tale and again it tells someone where I am and that I am up and about. This also goes for the laser that is so prevalent these days. Newbies with little experience tend to rely on the laser and lose the ability to use their firearm properly. It can serve a purpose but I think it is more of this "more hardware, more money" that is becoming popular with handguns. It also, if you are not really trained, takes that extra part of a second to activate and acquire a target before you actually discharge, as opposed to point shoot, which is immediate. Hey, if you want it and think it will help--- have at it--just mentioning the fact that everything is not rosy once you load your firearm with hardware, particularly if you are not really trained well in the use of your firearm alone.

Surefire X200/300. It's a X200 on this pistol, but I use the X300 too.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post

If that is your thinking , then you don't know how to use a light.
    CR Williams likes this.
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

I have a Surefire X300 Ultra on my HK USP45 Tactical and an Inforce APL on my USPf9.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

JMB
    For you guys with WMLs, how do you operate them?

Administrator
    I don't have any firearms with mounted lights as I trained many moons ago in the proper use and manipulation of an off weapon light.
    I never felt any real need to modernize myself.
    I am not adverse to the proper use of a WML though.
    My only advice would be to not go too crazy with the Super-Lumens especially if you have white or light colored walls and ceilings in your home.
    Even if you are just illuminating an area indirectly and not beaming high intensity super bright light directly onto walls it is still possible to seriously degrade your night vision.
    And if you do happen to hit a white wall directly then just keep in mind that it is possible for a clean white wall to toss 93 to 95 % of your light right back at you.
    That's way too much light when you are just waking up from a deep sleep in a dark room.
    No matter if your light is on or off of your firearm.
    Train with it and run some scenarios beginning them in a completely dark room.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Point and shoot Mossberg Persuader, 00 buck. I listen, No light needed.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links