This happened to me and made me think of CC

This is a discussion on This happened to me and made me think of CC within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The following encounter happened to me and made me recognize the need to get my conceal and carry permit. My new office is located in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: This happened to me and made me think of CC

The following encounter happened to me and made me recognize the need to get my conceal and carry permit.

My new office is located in a suburb of Minneapolis and feels 100 times safer than the old location in the heart of Minneapolis. Here in a professional building there would seem little to be feared, at least that's what I thought.

It was around noon and a colleague said she was leaving for lunch. Some 20 minutes after she left I had to use the restroom. The restroom is just outside the office suite door and is approximately 25 feet away. The building is very quiet and it is unusual to see anyboy in the hallway. After leaving the restroom and getting a drink of water I proceeded to go back into my office suite. I wasn't gone more than 3 minutes as I didn't want to miss any phone calls.

Upon my entry into the suite I started to make my way back to my office. Picture an L with offices on both sides of the hallway. My office is located right at the 90 degree angle of the L. As I am starting down the hallway to my office, an individual in baggy clothes comes around the corner and is coming straight at me. What the heck, there shouldn't be anybody back from where he was coming from. He was deep into the office suite in an area that is restricted to office personnel only. I am the only one that should be in this suite at the time.

Immediatley I got that funny feeling that something was up. When he looked up he got that startled look like what am I going to do. He knew he was busted and the only way out was through me. At this point I am thinking who is this guy and what is he up to. Is he stealing something, does he have a gun? My body language must have told him that I was on alert and prepared for a fight as he started trying to explain what he was doing. "I'm just looking to see if you are hiring man". At this point he approached to within ten feet. Looking him in the eyes I advised him No and that he should be on his way. Now as he approached me, another scumbag looking guy comes out from the back of the hallway (where the first guy came from). Now the hair on the back of my neck is starting to stand up. What the heck. Something is definately wrong.

This next guy was not aware that I had met his buddy and he proceeds to come towards us down the hallway. As he notices me he puts his hand in his pocket. I thought oh no this guy is gonna produce a weapon. Now faced with two guys who are kinda trapped at this point I back up to give myself some distance between the first guy and the approaching second guy. The first guy having told the story decides to give his buddy a heads up and tell him that we are just looking to see you are hiring. I don't believe him for one second but I play along with it. I am now close to the reception area that is wider and I sidestep to the left to give them some space. The first guys goes past me and the second guy catches up to him. Not once did the second guy look me in the eyes. He kept walking and looked straight ahead keeping his hand in his pocket. Once they were out of my office suite I locked the door.

I truly believe they were up to no good and I do think the second guy had a weapon of some sort. Had I pressed them about what they were doing I am afraid to think what might have happened. You hear of people stealing copper from buildings being remodeled. This building is under construction and I have a hunch they were scoping out the place.

Had it been just one guy I may have believed his story about asking for employment. Given there were two guys and they truly had the look of scumbags, no way.

While this was happening I was thinking I wish I had a weapon. This past Monday I took my conceal and carry class. I do have my certificate of training and need to visit my sheriff's office to hand in my paperwork. I really do not ever want to feel defenseless like I did that day.

Question for you all - if you were carrying, how would you have handled this situation when the second guy approached and put his hand in his pocket?
    Last edited by djl357; December 18th, 2013 at 06:49 PM.

Question for you all - if you were carrying, how would you have handled this situation when the second guy approached and put his hand in his pocket?
    I would have locked the door behind me when I went to use the little boys room. Situation avoided all together.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Get a permit and start carrying and the next time you leave your office suite (if you are the only one there) lock the door.

Although crime is less likely in some communities, no area or section of town is immune. Just look at what happened at the "upscale" mall in NJ recently.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Yep alwasy lock doors and be ready to draw . If the secord guy puts his hand in his pocket I would have mine in my pocket hand on gun ready to go readying to move and fire..

If you are alone def had a gun handy if work/law alows it . I know if I work alone or late no matter where I would have a compact in the pockt and maybe a med to full size with 10 or more round mags handy in a bag of some sort . You never know .

Was there a way to get to where the construction was going on from the way they were coming from?
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

And that mall is 15 mins from where I live but NJ will not allow you to defend yourself outside your home and even then you have the duty to retreat. Be glad you can get your permit to carry. In NJ we are professional victims

Quote Originally Posted by Frankv64 View Post
    And that mall is 15 mins from where I live but NJ will not allow you to defend yourself outside your home and even then you have the duty to retreat. Be glad you can get your permit to carry. In NJ we are professional victims
    Bummer.

VIP Member
    Did you call the police to report the incident and give a description. These guys were obviously up to no good.

If there are security cameras in your building there might be a chance these guys would be recognized by LE.
    Also, they probably left prints all over your door and office.
    Rock and Glock and PEF like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    You did the best you could have done , big problem when you did not lock the door . I would share your story with your co-workers to give them a chance to help lock up when they leave .

Please do not tell them you are going to be carrying .
    Hodad, Goldy49 and Odell like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Since that time we do make it a habit to lock the place if we are alone and exit to use the restroom or alone after hours. Just good practice. Had it been 3-4 minutes later though I would have been trapped in my office with no escape route whatsoever. During business hours we keep door open for UPS, mailman and an occasional client. It is a shame one has to think about that as well. Previous place we had a buzzer and two security doors that anybody trying to enter would need to be buzzed in.

Wrongrec room that is kinda what I was wanting to know. Thanks,

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Did they leave in a car? What was the license number?

Write down a description of the dynamic duo and have the others in the office keep their eyes open for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankv64 View Post
    Sounds like its time to move out of there...that's why I left California the regular law abiding citizens are sheep to the wolves.
    NRA Lifetime Member
    =“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” -George Orwell
    ="If you are more than 20 feet from your weapon while reading this thread you are doing it wrong." -Myself

You are only as safe as you make yourself, that's about as simple as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by jake01 View Post
    Sounds like its time to move out of there...that's why I left California the regular law abiding citizens are sheep to the wolves.
    You can end up being a "sheep" anywhere you live if you don't take the steps and precautioins to prevent it.

But I take your point. It is a lot harder in some places than others.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    You are only as safe as you make yourself, that's about as simple as it gets.
    Isn't that the truth!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links