Robbery in progress disrupted by conceal and carry guy

This is a discussion on Robbery in progress disrupted by conceal and carry guy within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Saw this on my FB page this am and watched the news clip. The news clip tells the story and there is good footage of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Robbery in progress disrupted by conceal and carry guy

Saw this on my FB page this am and watched the news clip.

The news clip tells the story and there is good footage of the bad guys and their actions. You can watch it here

Mpls. Man With Permit Pulls Out Gun, Stops Robbery In Progress « CBS Minnesota

Brief Summary:
    A minneapolis man with permit to carry stops a robbery from getting any worse. The news clip shows two thugs robbing the clerk of a market store at gun point. There is a struggle, the clerk gets pistol-whipped and the bad guys leave. The clerk locks the door as soon as they exit the store.

Once outside the bad guys have second thoughts either about not getting enough cash or leaving behind a witness. They attempt to go back in and are stopped by the locked door. They are pounding on the door.

The good guy with the CC permit sees what is happening and sees a BG with a gun. The BG turns to the guy with gun in hand. Our guy pulls his handgun and takes the ready position. The robbers see this and leave in their car.

A lot taking place in this real life situation. There is a situation in the store with the robbers and the clerk and also outside with the permit holder.

From the store video one can tell right away that these guys are up to no good. They are concealing their faces, acting restless. Wonder how this would have played out if clerk was armed? Up against two. If you were armed and were the clerk in this situation, would you have pulled and opened fire?

If you were the permit holder, would you have fired as soon as you pulled your firearm?

I think the clerk probably would have been shot had the good guy not intervened.
    Last edited by djl357; December 20th, 2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by djl357 View Post
    If you were the permit holder, would you have fired as soon as you pulled your firearm?

I think the clerk probably would have been shot had the good guy not intervened.
    I have mixed feelings here. If I had a clean shot, had a good idea of what had/was going on (very important), had called 911 and was in a good spot, yes, I think I would have fired. Not a back shot, nothing that would be deemed illegal (for lack of a better term) or even unethical but a guy with a gun trying to force his way into a store for obvious reasons needs to be stopped, IMO. He's got a gun (Ability), he's trying to bust through the door (Opportunity) and the clerk inside is in danger (Jeapordy).

Kinda thinly meets the AOJ standards Mas Ayoob lays down in his teachings. PLUS -- this is MY OPINION -- this guy was guilty now, or for something he did in the past or would be for something he's gonna do in the future. Crime usually isn't a one-time affair. He needed shootin'. IMO....
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

I probably would have taken a shot as well. Why else would they come back inside except to kill witnesses?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. – Gen James Mattis USMC

This time the threat was stopped by the mere presence of an armed individual. Which happens a lot in this country. Without knowing all the facts in this event, I myself would not have shot right off the bat. The BGs ran, win, win for the GGs involved....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I think my presentation would have been made from cover. Firing as soon as I presented no as soon as I determined I was being attacked instead of fled from yes.
    gatorbait51 and BadgerJ like this.

Have to take shot as soon as you see gun, other wise you are giving him the opp to shoot first.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    It's easy to say "take the shot" after watching the news report. But it would have been difficult to do so if you weren't 100% sure of what was going on. Pulling the trigger is pretty final.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Great vid and story. Thanks for posting. Lots of good comments here from the wonder people at DCDC.
    Hank19119 and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cbirchem0724 View Post
    I probably would have taken a shot as well. Why else would they come back inside except to kill witnesses?
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Have to take shot as soon as you see gun, other wise you are giving him the opp to shoot first.
    One of the men "seems" to have been unarmed. Kill someone for using the butt of his gun to bang on a door. Seems to me the CWP holder did as much as was needed and not too much.
    Last edited by SCXDm9; December 21st, 2013 at 11:01 AM.

Distinguished Member
    Where is the telephone pole? I would have also withheld fire unless they continued forcing the door or turned toward me gun in hand. Then I fire from some sort of cover. If they turn and run no way I'm gong to open the box of grief awaiting me for shooting. My goal if they run is to get a good look at their license plate - and avoid the temptation to shoot out the tires or put a hole in the rear window with the excuse it will make identification easier later
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

I didnt see anywhere it was said that the BG turned to the CC carrier with gun in hand. Or on video. BG is locked outside the store so drawn and ready yeah, but until he started to turn to me with "gun in hand" no shoot. Start a turn to me with gun in hand different animal altogether.

Locked outside he lacks the opportunity to get back inside and do more harm. JMO
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I am on both sides of the fence. Draw the weapon.. Yeah probably, because now suspects with a gun is going to see you. They may want to eliminate any witnesses. Protect myself first. Now on to the door.. How do I know its locked. How do I know 110% sure of what's going on. Obviously any normal person knows something not right is happening there. Then laws go through my mind. That 10-20 seconds is going to feel like eternity.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I can't think of a situation where I would pull my weapon and NOT use it. Many states have laws where if you are in the right to draw down on someone you are also within your right to shoot them. If I pull my weapon it is because an innocent life is at stake, and I will not hesitate; it will happen so fast that it will likely surprise even me. I was in Iraq in 2004, and when you go through the door and see someone standing in front of you with a weapon, you don't give them a chance to use it, explain their position, or give you their life story, it comes down to who has the quicker draw and more accurate fire. Make no mistake, if I ever pull my gun, keeping in mind our bank robbery situation, it will be used. You are welcome, taxpayers.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patterson911 View Post
    I can't think of a situation where I would pull my weapon and NOT use it. Many states have laws where if you are in the right to draw down on someone you are also within your rights to shoot them. If I pull my weapon it is because an innocent life is at stake, and I will not hesitate; it will happen so fast that it will likely surprise even me. I was in Iraq in 2004, and when you go through the door and see someone standing in front of you with a weapon, you don't give them a chance to use it, explain their position, or give you their life story, it comes down to who has the quicker draw and more accurate fire. Make no mistake, if I ever pull my gun, keeping in mind our bank robbery situation, it will be used. You are welcome, taxpayers.
    I had a lawyer espouse this same philosophy to me, but I can't get behind it. The purpose of the gun is to stop the threat. If the threat stops because the other guy turns tail and runs, there's no need to shoot. It's important to evaluate your target, right, be a thinking gunfigher? Not just shoot because you've cleared the holster? How could you justify shooting them in that case? You're not judge, jury, and executioner in that moment.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    i'm with Brock. definitely have pulled my weapon without firing because the threat stopped. i would most likely still be dealing with the after math if i had fired.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links