74 year old Cattleman is killed with his own shotgun in Costa Rica

This is a discussion on 74 year old Cattleman is killed with his own shotgun in Costa Rica within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The robbers took away his shotgun, killed him, invaded his house, tied and robbed his family. He went out with the shotgun looking for them. ...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By tdave
  • 2 Post By Ghost1958
  • 1 Post By Patterson911
  • 4 Post By Caertaker
  • 1 Post By Hoganbeg
  • 1 Post By vice87
  • 2 Post By Arcam

Thread: 74 year old Cattleman is killed with his own shotgun in Costa Rica

The robbers took away his shotgun, killed him, invaded his house, tied and robbed his family.

He went out with the shotgun looking for them. Correct me if I am wrong but the best strategy (for most situations) would be to stay inside get cover and wait for the robbers.

Here is a link in Spanish
    La Nación - el periódico de Costa Rica

Here is a link from google tranlate (the tittle translated horribly but the rest reads ok).
    The Nation - newspaper of Costa Rica

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sad I admire his pluck but his tactics suck.
    Brad426 and Exacto like this.

Sad. What happens when you follow Shotgun Joe's advice about shooting into the air.
    StormRhydr and msgt/ret like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Sad. What happens when you follow Shotgun Joe's advice about shooting into the air.
    So true. The only warning should be straight to the head. Invade, dead!
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

Quote Originally Posted by rugerista View Post
    The robbers took away his shotgun, killed him, invaded his house, tied and robbed his family. He went out with the shotgun looking for them. Correct me if I am wrong but the best strategy (for most situations) would be to stay inside get cover and wait for the robbers.

Yes, I would have waited in doors and defended my family vs. going out and looking for the guy(s). You never know when the assailant(s) could show up back inside your house while you are out looking for them...especially if you have a farm sized piece of property which I am assuming has a decent amount of acreage.
    Exacto likes this.

The lesson I will take away from this is that sometimes one has to overcome who they are in order to be victorious. Obviously I didn't know the man but the farmers I've known were pretty much no nonsense, jump right in and do it yourself types. At 74 I suspect he was just taking care of the task at hand like he'd always done. I'd wish for a better ending for him but maybe he died on his own terms. /shrug. Who knows. Personally I'll work a little harder at reigning in my temper, overestimating my meager ability, and studying hard the proven strategies of success. That's why I come here.
    DrDP6, manolito, OldVet and 1 others like this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Quote Originally Posted by rugerista View Post
    The robbers took away his shotgun, killed him, invaded his house, tied and robbed his family.

He went out with the shotgun looking for them. Correct me if I am wrong but the best strategy (for most situations) would be to stay inside get cover and wait for the robbers.

Here is a link in Spanish
    La Nación - el periódico de Costa Rica

Here is a link from google tranlate (the tittle translated horribly but the rest reads ok).
    The Nation - newspaper of Costa Rica

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Geeze Louise that Costa Rican translation was the worst translation to English I ever heard in my LIFE!!!
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Oh, I've seen some that were worse. At least this was intelligible.

It sounds like he wasn't really prepared to shoot anyone that night, hence the "warning" shots. If he didn't know where the BGs were, walking around looking is a pretty good way of making sure they find you first. What he needed was a hasty ambush set inside his home.
    pittypat21 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Geeze Louise that Costa Rican translation was the worst translation to English I ever heard in my LIFE!!!
    Hum... I actually think Google translate is a great tool. It provides instantaneous automatic translations for free (well NSA and others might be keeping an electronic eye on whats translated) so pretty close to free.

Granted its not up to human professional standards but those take time and money.

Distinguished Member
    I am going to read between the lines here. Seventy four and has been going out at night and firing a couple and the skunk, Fox, Bobcat run away the chickens calm down the dog goes back to sleep and life is good. That is how it happens here at my place. Then the one time it wasn't a coyote or skunk he paid a very high price. I prefer to be laughed at because I act like I am assaulting the beach every time I go out but then again I am only 66 maybe when I reach 74 I will lose one.

Rest in peace my fellow rancher and may your family revenge your death.

my only warning is a "stop" as i'm squeezing the trigger. maybe.
    Patterson911 likes this.
    It's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

I post my warning near the door.

average response time of 911 vs 357.jpg

If I wanted to hunt down intruders, it would be with my assault rifle, not a shotgun. Huge tactical error. Worth noting that this part of Costa Rica is EXTREMELY dangerous.
    kaikane0812 and Patterson911 like this.

Links