Downrange drills in the news

This is a discussion on Downrange drills in the news within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Downrange drills (having to shoot an attacker while a loved one or innocent is downrange of you) in the course of home invasions are not ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By HeadHunter
  • 1 Post By Chaplain Scott
  • 1 Post By JMB
  • 1 Post By Harryball
  • 3 Post By Zralou

Thread: Downrange drills in the news

Downrange drills (having to shoot an attacker while a loved one or innocent is downrange of you) in the course of home invasions are not at all uncommon. I have many, many of these incidents in my database. I call it "The Myth of the Lone Gunman," meaning that we usually practice like it's just going to be mano a mano with an attacker.

This one definitely sounds like a another example of a downrange drill.

Coroner: Suspect dead after man shot in attempted home invasion - FOX Carolina 21

The victims, a man and woman, told deputies the suspect tried to force his way into the home at gunpoint, placing a woman who lived at the home in a choke hold. They added that the woman was able to alert her husband, who confronted the suspect with a gun.

Another one re-surfaced in the news recently, apparently because the investigation is officially closed. The wife had to hack the intruder up with a butcher knife, though.
    North Bend intruder may have planned sexual assault, deputies say | Local News | The Seattle Times

North Bend intruder may have planned sexual assault, deputies say

By Sara Jean Green - Seattle Times staff reporter

More than seven months after a young couple fought with and killed an intruder in a North Bend home, documents released by the King County Sheriff’s Office indicate the dead man may have intended to commit an abduction and sexual assault.

Ken Boonstra, 48, was stabbed 10 times with a butcher knife by the 26-year-old woman as he fought with her husband around 1:40 a.m. on May 13.
    BadgerJ likes this.

Gotta szy, that was some serious team work by the woman with the kithcen knife.... stab him while hubby whips him... ill have her on my team. As far as practicing down range drills, I try to create different scenarios where a innocent may be in the line of fire... hope it never happens but if it does , I will do my best.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    When I attended a FS 4 day defensive handgun course a few years back, the final exercise was a target with a hostage and two "hostage-takers", we were instructed to write the name of a loved one on the victim, then we all got on the 5-yard line and fired 10 rounds. It was quite a sobering practice round. I still have the target hanging above my gun desk as a reminder.
    HeadHunter likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    A man charged him in a hallway, and the husband sprayed the wasp spray in the intruder’s face, but it had no effect.
    Worth mentioning. The knife had a chunk missing. Whoa, that's some stabby action. She hit him with the bat until it broke to little effect. He was on more than just chew. :D

Life is 360 degrees. To only train on a static range IMO is counter productive.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

JMB
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Life is 360 degrees. To only train on a static range IMO is counter productive.
    Well maybe unless that's all someone has regular access to...better than nothing.

When I used to have to qualify twice a year for duty, our target was a silhouette with 10" circle on it. Anything inside or touching the line was a "hit". I've since started using NRA B8 targets with a 5.5" bullseye. planning to go to 3x5 cards in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    Well maybe unless that's all someone has regular access to...better than nothing.

When I used to have to qualify twice a year for duty, our target was a silhouette with 10" circle on it. Anything inside or touching the line was a "hit". I've since started using NRA B8 targets with a 5.5" bullseye. planning to go to 3x5 cards in the near future.
    It does not change the fact that we live in a 360 world. I understand some not being able to do things at your local range, but one should seek training that allows it. The types of situations the OP described are a very real possibility, better to train to it, then say its better than nothing IMO....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

JMB
    It does not change the fact that we live in a 360 world. I understand some not being able to do things at your local range, but one should seek training that allows it. The types of situations the OP described are a very real possibility, better to train to it, then say its better than nothing IMO....
    Training's great too but you probably need a place or way to practice those skills when you're NOT at a training class. If not they will degrade over time.
    glockman10mm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    Training's great too but you probably need a place or way to practice those skills when you're NOT at a training class. If not they will degrade over time.
    That is what practice is for. We take what we learn in training, and practice those skills. The skills can be simulated with airsoft or sims. It does not have to be all live fire.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

JMB
    That is what practice is for. We take what we learn in training, and practice those skills. The skills can be simulated with airsoft or sims. It does not have to be all live fire.
    Actually, I think that is what I just stated about training vs practice in my post above.

I'll agree that airsoft might work but will they provde the "precision needed for the OPs scenario? I don't know.

I doubt the average "Joe" is going to be able to get into sims...unless they got a lot cheaper in the last two years. Guess you could use some type laser gun too...

This is one of the reasons I shoot IDPA.
    During a course of fire its quite common to have 'non-threat' targets positioned so only the head and shoulder area of the BG target is showing behind the non-threat. Of course hits on the non-threat are heavily punished by way of penalty points, which makes you very aware of avoiding them.

IDPA is a good way to train in a scenario arena, it's not that expensive, and is great fun too.

Sara Lou
    JMB, HeadHunter and ETXhiker like this.
    If you don't fight for what you want, don't cry for what you lost...

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn...

It never gets easier, you just get stronger...

Sponsored Links