Neighbor with 3-4 Aggressive Pitbulls, Dog Catchers, Police and Dead dogs.

This is a discussion on Neighbor with 3-4 Aggressive Pitbulls, Dog Catchers, Police and Dead dogs. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This unfortunately is a real scenario that I'm currently dealing with. A quick bit about myself. I live on about 1 acre of property in ...

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree506Likes

Thread: Neighbor with 3-4 Aggressive Pitbulls, Dog Catchers, Police and Dead dogs.

This unfortunately is a real scenario that I'm currently dealing with. A quick bit about myself. I live on about 1 acre of property in Winter Springs, Florida. I have a medium 40 pound beagle mix and my wife is 6 months pregnant. I am a recent new gun owner. I purchased a 9mm pistol and a shotgun. I'm scheduled to take my CCW this week.

We live on a nice quiet street....except for one neighbor. The deadbeats is what everyone calls them. The trash house in the nice neighborhood. The parents abandoned the house leaving a 2-3 18-20 year old kids that live there now. Unfortunately, that house backs up to my backyard fence. Over the last 6 months, they've acquired 3-4 pit bulls that are all extremely aggressive. We hear them fighting in their backyard at all hours of the day/night. They're all fenced in however they keep destroying my fence. When I fix the fence, they dig holes under the fence. When I fill the holes, they destroy slats of the fence. Here is a breakdown of my last 3 months:

1. My first encounter when the male and female got out was scary. I was doing yard work and I saw them run down the street together. I quickly made my way to my porch and I heard them coming. I got my front door and the female, with large drooping nipples (must be breeding them) started charging me and growling. I jumped through my front door. The 2 dogs began to run all over my property. Proudly rummaging through my bushes. We call animal control who eventually sends someone out. By this time, the dogs are gone. I talk with the lady and her advice to me? "Get a gun". She leaves.

2. 1 week later, the dogs get out again and start running through my yard. This time, my dog is in her play pen (chain link area) and the dogs are growling and barking at her through the fence. Pacing back and forth. I call animal control again. They come out quicker this time. She sees them. The male runs away and the female, to my surprise, turns at the dog catcher and lunges for her almost biting her. Panic ensues, there is growling and yelling she has the dog in her noose tool. The neighbor kid who owns the dog is now over yelling saying we provoked the dog, etc. etc. She leaves with the neighbor kid and then returns an hour later to tell me they still have both dogs and there nothing she can do... I'm shocked. She says they haven't been deemed "dangerous" by the city so she can't feely take the dogs. I'm literally about to scream as I argue with this lady reminding her what I saw and how she almost got bit. She leaves.

3. 3 days later. Dogs are out again. Roaming the neighborhood. Call animal control who says "We can't do anything further but to set traps in your yard." I'm yell back, "what to trap my OWN DOG? On my property???" At this point I'm furious.

4. All things quiet for about a month. Then all the sudden now 4 pit bulls are running through my yard. I call animal control again. In the back of my mind I'm thinking, why am I not just calling the police? It all changed that day. Animal control comes again. I'm standing in my fenced in dog run talking to the guy. He tells me they can't find the dogs and if they did can't take them unless they're proved to be aggressive and dangerous. Literally as those words are coming out of his mouth, the 4 dogs show up on the street and see him outside the fenced area. I still remember this moment clear as day. As he is saying "aggressive or dangerous...." they charge him so fast as a pack. The 250 pound man somehow jumps over my 4 foot high dog run fence right as the dogs about bite his arm and leg. He jumps up and wacks one of them with his metal clip board right in the face. He looks at me and says..."you know they can jump this 4 foot fence right?". He radios in and next thing you know, the dogs disappear as 4 police cars show up. The neighbors who own the dogs are now out on the street getting cited by the police and get this "We can't take the dogs." I just start laughing. I'm replaying the moments over and over in my head wondering if I'm somehow dosed with crazy pills. I have a long discussion with the police who are very nice. I tell them that someone in this neighborhood is going to get seriously hurt and it better not be my family or dog. The city NEEDS to do something about it. Police leave, all the neighbors come to my house to find out what happened. They're all furious.

5. 2 days later, my neighbor runs to my house shouting at me. I'm thinking, oh no. She says, "The police shot the female pit bull in your drive way this morning and they missed the male who ran away." I'm ecstatic but still furious and scare for my family's well being. This could have all been avoided had some action been taken.

6. Another month goes by. All quiet but I still haven't 100% felt comfortable in my own yard since. Very unfortunate feeling to have on your own property. Then I glance up and out my back window, 4 pit bulls are in my backyard, they see me and start growling and barking at me through my back windows. Now I have 4 dogs barking at me on MY property through MY back windows. At this point I lose it. I grab my shotgun and my pistol. My wife is screaming at me to calm down and to call the police. In my mind I was going to end this and just walk outside and shoot all 4 dogs. I realized in my head that it will do no good, the deadbeats will just get more dogs. Cooler heads prevail and I'm dialing the police. They show up in about 3-4 minutes but the dogs ran down the street. A new dog catcher shows up panting saying he drove 80 mph to get here. The one officer tells me he's the one who shot the dog in my driveway. They ask me how they got out and I tell them they most likely destroyed more fence slats or dug a hole. The dog catcher and police officer walk the fence with me and we find the hole. They guard my back while I patch the fence. Then all the sudden as we're walking back to my house they show up. The dog catcher is scrambling with his noose tool and the police officer is yelling at me to get into his police car. I end up jumping over my 4 foot fence into the dog run. The police officer nearly pulls the trigger but the dog catcher gets in the way. They trap one dog. The others are gone. Now the police officer is furious. Can't believe this is still going on. They disappear and go to the neighbors house. To my surprise, they take all 4 dogs. I later find out that 2 were put down and the other 2 were given back to the owner. I chatted with the police who were nice, but wouldn't give me a clear understanding of my forceful rights I had. One officer said to carry a large knife so if it bit me, I could stab the dog. Why would I want a dog to bite me? The other office says to enclose my entire property with a fence. We already looked at that option but I don't have $10k just lying around.

7. Fast forward to yesterday. The neighbor now has 2 more pit bulls putting the total back to 4. One of them got out. A large male pit bull. To my surprise, I watched the male jump up to the mid fence rail and then launch himself over the 6 foot fence. Then he comes BACK OVER and then jumps back over. Great now, I have a large aggressive pit bull scaling my 6 foot fence.

So this is where I am this morning. Running scenarios through my mind the last 24 hours on what to do. I haven't told my wife that I watched one dog scale the 6 foot fence. What are my options? I don't want to get in trouble with the law but I need to protect my family and my property. The neighbors don't care and the police can't seem to do anything to them. I don't want to be that guy on the news who shot his neighbors dogs with a pistol and is now going to jail for 10 years. I've been reading up on the Florida Gun Laws and like I said above, scheduled to take my CCW this week. Can I carry my pistol around with me as I'm doing lawn work? What about my shotgun? Lean that against the fence while I mow my yard? What would you do if you were throwing a ball to your dog and all the sudden a pit bull comes over top your fence and starts charging you or your dog? Can I carry my shotgun with me as I scan my fence line for holes?

I apologize for the long post, however I thought it necessary to lay out the whole story. I'm already mailing this in letter format to the city commissioner, mayor, police chief, and anyone else I can find, putting them on notice to make sure they're all aware of the events. I would hate to anyone in this city to be aware of the situation and do nothing about it and then a child is killed. That is a lawsuit I'm assuming they'd want to avoid.

I appreciate any comments or opinions.
    Last edited by gasmitty; December 29th, 2013 at 03:23 PM. Reason: added spaces for readability
    Phaedrus likes this.

VIP Member
    Wow, that's a heck of a first post and a terrible situation. I hope you get some sort of resolution. I think it's nuts that their 'solution' is for you to build a fortress. I'm pretty sure you shouldn't have to fear for your life simply because you don't have a prison quality fence surrounding your property...
    blitzburgh, Kavalander and Sister like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Senior Moderator
    Bang bang bang bang.

You feared for your life and that of your pregnant wife.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

What will you do when you have a toddler? I would most certainly rectify the situation one way or another within the next year.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I can't tell you for sure, as I'm not a lawyer and I don't know FL law, but I'd be surprised if you weren't able to carry on your own property without a permit.

What a crazy story... I own pit bulls (well, down to one now..) and have my whole life and people like your neighbors absolutely drive me crazy. If you're going to own dogs, you need to be responsible for them and certain breeds require you to be a little more attentive than others. I'm shocked so much had to happen before something was done with the dogs. What a lot of good it did when something was finally done, since they just went out and got more.

I'm sure soon a member from FL who knows the laws better will be around. Best of luck, though...
    CLASS3NH, StormRhydr, OD* and 1 others like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Bang bang bang bang.

You feared for your life and that of your pregnant wife.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    What will you do when you have a toddler? I would most certainly rectify the situation one way or another within the next year.
    Sadly it sounds like even if/when he offs the dangerous animals, the 'neighbor' is just going to repopulate his supply and go back to status quo.

If the authorities can't/won't prohibit the owners from continuing to create a potentially life threatening problem, I'm not sure what options you do have. If you kill the dogs and the guy just imports more and the problem continues, then you have to kill more dogs. Eventually the situation is going to go past the animals and then you'll have a (probably) dangerous human to deal with.
    NRA Life Member

WOW......First of all, WELCOME to the Forum, and yep, you got a huge problem there. Sounds like the owners of the dogs just don't give a rip about what happens there. I don't really know what to tell you, but I think at this point in time, you could build a 10 ft tall wood fence, placed 2 ft deep (that would give you 8 feet tall on the ground level. This would keep the dogs and the D bag neighbor out of your sight and mind.
    I wouldn't strap a shotgun to yourself or your lawn equipment, but the real possibility of a Taurus JUDGE 410 ga/45 long colt or S&W Governor 410/45LC/45ACP hand gun might make sense at this point.
    On a side note, we have a friend, who has a 5 yr old "Pitbull" and she's a HUGE baby. The dog resides with 4 small children and she's never been aggressive towards anybody, including strangers (she's a lapdog for sure). Point of what I'm saying is, it's the OWNERS of the animal that makes them vicious, therefore, OWNER responibility.
    Watch your back for the dogs AND the owners at this point.
    Let us know how it's going.
    Kavalander likes this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I can't say here what to do. But the world would be missing 4 pit bulls. Don't ask, don't tell.

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about what you have been subjected to. I don't believe there are any bad dogs, only bad owners. Fortunately Life seems to have a way of taking care of people. I'd try and avoid being the focus of their anger but probably not at the cost of being bitten. Good luck.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Senior Moderator
    If you kill the dogs and the guy just imports more and the problem continues, then you have to kill more dogs.
    Not a problem. You just have to shoot every dog that gets on your property.

You'll be spending a lot less on bullets than he is on pit bulls. Eventually they learn to either keep them caged, or they'll give up.

The important thing here is paper trail. Call the cops every time you have an issue. If it ever goes to court, you'll have a paper trail verifying that you tried to do it right, all options failed and you did what you had to do. You have proof that the dogs were aggressive, one your property, threatening you and yours.

Having been on the "cop side" of just this thing a few times, my advice is to protect yourself and your loved ones. That is your FIRST and only priority.

I can tell you for certain, you do not want one of those dogs getting close to your kid. If that isn't a self defense situation, then nothing is.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Sadly it sounds like even if/when he offs the dangerous animals, the 'neighbor' is just going to repopulate his supply and go back to status quo.

If the authorities can't/won't prohibit the owners from continuing to create a potentially life threatening problem, I'm not sure what options you do have. If you kill the dogs and the guy just imports more and the problem continues, then you have to kill more dogs. Eventually the situation is going to go past the animals and then you'll have a (probably) dangerous human to deal with.
    Yup... it's sounding like that $10k fence will save you a lot of headaches (and possibly heartbreak) down the road. It's a dangerous situation that sounds like it's only going to get worse and more dangerous, especially after your baby is born.
    Kavalander likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Welcome to the forum..

Ahhh life in Florida. OK so first advice I'd give is you cant shoot the dogs Unless they are attacking you or another person. While dogs have no rights... and they are property. The level of force would be deadly force. It's the level of force used that must be justified, not killing the dog. This is probably why the officer probably advised you use a knfe. Using a firearm opens you to liability of firearms specific ordinances, as well as reckless, or negligent charges.

One thing you may want to do is get complete control of your own dog. I'd try bear spray and/or pepper spray or some such chemical. If they came in my yard I'd spray them with hot water. I know it's wrong but ultimately I'd probably poison them.

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    WOW......First of all, WELCOME to the Forum, and yep, you got a huge problem there. Sounds like the owners of the dogs just don't give a rip about what happens there. I don't really know what to tell you, but I think at this point in time, you could build a 10 ft tall wood fence, placed 2 ft deep (that would give you 8 feet tall on the ground level. This would keep the dogs and the D bag neighbor out of your sight and mind.
    I wouldn't strap a shotgun to yourself or your lawn equipment, but the real possibility of a Taurus JUDGE 410 ga/45 long colt or S&W Governor 410/45LC/45ACP hand gun might make sense at this point.
    On a side note, we have a friend, who has a 5 yr old "Pitbull" and she's a HUGE baby. The dog resides with 4 small children and she's never been aggressive towards anybody, including strangers (she's a lapdog for sure). Point of what I'm saying is, it's the OWNERS of the animal that makes them vicious, therefore, OWNER responibility.
    Watch your back for the dogs AND the owners at this point.
    Let us know how it's going.
    As the owner of two loving and lovable pits myself I know what your saying. I have also encountered pits that were raised and trained wrong. I did not enjoy what was required but my kids were not going to have that happen to them. One aspect not explored other than being "dead beats" are there any other activities on their part that might warrant further police attention some people keep a swarm of pits for a reason that could be of interest to your local LEO.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Not a problem. You just have to shoot every dog that gets on your property.

You'll be spending a lot less on bullets than he is on pit bulls. Eventually they learn to either keep them caged, or they'll give up.

The important thing here is paper trail. Call the cops every time you have an issue. If it ever goes to court, you'll have a paper trail verifying that you tried to do it right, all options failed and you did what you had to do. You have proof that the dogs were aggressive, one your property, threatening you and yours.

Having been on the "cop side" of just this thing a few times, my advice is to protect yourself and your loved ones. That is your FIRST and only priority.

I can tell you for certain, you do not want one of those dogs getting close to your kid. If that isn't a self defense situation, then nothing is.
    Oh I don't disagree with your sentiment, I'm just saying that with young men of dubious character, his problems go beyond just some dangerous dogs in his yard.

As far as the animals go, I'd be all for a few long spring traps in the back half of the yard and a small bisecting fence that kept my dog away from them. I'm not sure how legal it would be but I wouldn't be afraid to ask because you are absolutely correct, safety is the only concern. I wouldn't feel great about harming a dog but I'm not going to let dangerous animals roam free on my property if there's any remedy for it.
    CLASS3NH and Kavalander like this.
    NRA Life Member

I would suggest consulting an attorney on use of force on your property against predatory animals as well as any legal avenues available through the courts to bring pressure to bear on those neighbors. I would also suggest that you contact local news outlets with your story to see if there is any interest there.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links