Mall mobs

Mall mobs

This is a discussion on Mall mobs within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and i were reading an article today that described two incidents, one in NY and one in Fl, where teenage mobs of several ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: Mall mobs

Mall mobs

My wife and i were reading an article today that described two incidents, one in NY and one in Fl, where teenage mobs of several hundred teens attacked and robbed shoppers at random in a mall. We were discussing how we would handle this type of situation were it to confront us while shopping with the grandsons. I told her i was going to post here, because we read the threads here often. How would you all react? I carry a Shield 40 cal, so i usually only have 8 rounds, but i sometimes have a extra mag with 7 more. She usually carries a 6 rd revolver. My thoughts are my firearm is to protect me and my family first and foremost, but how would you all handle this scenario? I also saw another news article about a similar incident at a Walmart.

Bobby

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    DrDP6 likes this.

VIP Member
    I would make every effort to get myself and my loved ones out of harm's way.

I'm usually not carrying enough ammo to take out a hundred yutes...

My belief is capacity is not going to be an issue first one shot rest are going to be high tailing it. Will video surveillance or witnesses corroborate your need for this measure?

VIP Member
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I'm not sure... I think of scenarios like this from time to time, but nothing ever goes as planned... My priority is get me and mine out of harms way. If I can do that without fighting that is the way I'll do it, if not, then its "game on." The idea of facing 10, 20, 50, or 100 people is not a pleasant one.
    BobbyBJr, blitzburgh and DrDP6 like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    If there is a MOB, and they are intent on violence towards you and loved ones, AND there is no easy exit, then inflict the utmost violence you can, quickly, without hesitations and with extreme aggression--target first those who seem to be egging others on--one round apiece and spread the wealth as best you can, many, if not most, will scatter like the cockroaches they are.

Save your backup mag for any who want to continue the fight.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

If the reality we confronted in such a situation was a pack of armed & thugs physically attacking people, well we all know what to do, if it came down to it. I have a feeling that it would be lots more complex, though.

Like what if its an unarmed teen aged girl in that pack of robbers who grabs your wifes purse? As we have seen in FL, shooting unarmed teens doesnt go down well. Regardless of justification. Shoot the armed thugs, instead?

I tend to think that they rely on numbers & youth to overcome people. Not the use of weapons.

I, like others, like the idea of "Getting out of there" as my option. Then again, I bet lots of people in those malls would have liked that option, too.

Something seems to be changing in society. Perhaps because of the economy, lack of values, who knows? But things do seem to be breaking down.
    Kavalander and flintlock62 like this.

First is to train your family for such an occurrence. I used to teach a class on this topic (riots).

Surviving The Flash Mob | Active Response Training
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Yes, i agree that the first and most pleasant option would be to get you and yours out of harms way, if possible. Neither of the articles mention any of the teens being armed, but you cant know that. My first thought would be to get my family in a position i could at least defend, if we couldnt exit altogether. After that, I'm not sure the amount of rounds would matter, unless the teens were armed. I would think a unarmed mob would lose interest pretty quickly if i were forced to draw and fire, but these days you never know. Just a real bummer we even have to think about this type of scenario.

Bobby

Kavalander likes this.

Mobs behave differently than individuals. I have been unfortunate enough to witness mob violence, and here's my opinion:
    1. The best defense is situational awareness, always. When groups of random people start to commit random violence, get outta there.
    2. Understand that using a weapon against a mob could enrage it, especially if some of them are armed. If you're lucky they'll scatter at the first shot, but if not then you're in deep (probably lethal) trouble. Unless you're a police officer on duty or extra paranoid, you won't be carrying more than 50 rounds, and even then it's not nearly enough against a mob of hundreds.
    3. Personally, if I'm cornered and all they want is money, I'd give it to them. I will only start fighting back when they move beyond intimidation into physical violence. Whatever money I have on me is always far less than the amount I will spend on a lawyer later if things get rough.
    4. Feign fear and helplessness so the punks don't feel the need to prove themselves in front of their peers by taking a tough guy down. However, immediately flip the switch into maximum force mode --shock and awe if you will-- once they cross the line by physically hurting you or yours.
    5. If you have to use force, the goal is to create an opening for you to get away. Failing that, use it to reach a defensible position to hunker down until the cops show up.
    6. If violent flash mobs are a real concern, consider carrying a bear spray. Since it's nonlethal there's less legal problem, just spray anybody that stands between you and the exit.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyBJr View Post
    Yes, i agree that the first and most pleasant option would be to get you and yours out of harms way, if possible. Neither of the articles mention any of the teens being armed, but you cant know that. My first thought would be to get my family in a position i could at least defend, if we couldnt exit altogether. After that, I'm not sure the amount of rounds would matter, unless the teens were armed. I would think a unarmed mob would lose interest pretty quickly if i were forced to draw and fire, but these days you never know. Just a real bummer we even have to think about this type of scenario.

Bobby

I think that's a wise approach. Best option is to flee the area by the normal exits. If that's not possible, I guess my instinct would be to quickly enter a store and head to the very back, and if no emergency exit presents itself, find a hiding place that has a restricted approach. Likely the mob won't do a thorough search, and if one of them does approach, he'll likely be deterred by a gun. If not, hopefully the second will be deterred by the corpse of the first, especially if I'm still hidden from view.

In other words, I'd try to be the hard target. Plenty of other things for the mob to do besides bother the one guy with a gun. Of course, if they're really intent on getting me, they probably will, but that strikes me more as a zombie-apocalypse scenario than a likely outcome. Nobody wants to die for an extra walletful of cash.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

Captain Bellamy

Well from the way it reads its not 100 against you as they are robbing several people at once by splitting up in groups. Anyway 5 against one armed or unarmed is a clear case of disparity of force. Nuff said
    tcox4freedom and mrm like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I never hope to get into something like this but like it being said SA is the best option and if not try your best to get out some how. Since your wife carry I take it that she carry some extra rounds but me for one the likely hood you and her ever getting yourself into this situation is 80% or better but it's good to think of these in your head. In times we living in it could and will get worse.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5, Shield 9mm
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

I'm not letting my family get mugged by a gang of kids...You can fill in the rest. :)

This scenario just played out recently at a neighboring town here in Jacksonville at a local movie theater where over 600 teenagers got aggressively rowdy.

After this recent incident occurred I wondered what I would've done if I would've found myself in the middle of all that especially with a cc that only has seven rounds.

My temporary solution is to avoid finding myself in those types of scenarios by avoiding areas full of large crowds of testosterone filled teenagers.
    It's Range Time!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links