Late Night at the Gas Station - Never a Dull Moment

This is a discussion on Late Night at the Gas Station - Never a Dull Moment within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was traveling to TX with the family for late Christmas Thursday and made a pit stop near Kilgore on I-20. Everything was uneventful until we ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Late Night at the Gas Station - Never a Dull Moment

Was traveling to TX with the family for late Christmas Thursday and made a pit stop near Kilgore on I-20. Everything was uneventful until we were pulling out. Gas station was arranged with 2 rows of 2 pumps running perpendicular to the storefront. Our family was in 2 cars. Not needing gas, I had pulled up to a storefront spot while the other car filled up at the pump directly behind me. I backed out of my spot and sat parallel to the storefront for a grand total of 15-20 seconds, waiting for the 2nd car to pull out as they were lead vehicle. 6241 Old Kilgore Hwy, Kilgore, TX is the address if anyone is interested in visualizing the arrangement better.

Meanwhile, F-250 pulls into pump next to the 2nd car and driver exits and heads straight for the front of the store w/o pumping gas. He is walking with a limp and I don't pay him too much mind, except to give him the once over through my window, which he couldn't have seen through with my tint and the light at the time. In retrospect, my radar went off ever so slightly, but I wasn't thinking THREAT. Just, unpleasant.

Apparently, he is none too pleased with my car's positioning, which blocked his most direct access to the store front. As he is approaching the rear of my car to go around, 2nd car pulls out and I start rolling towards the station exit.

At this moment, BG strikes the rear of my vehicle with a closed fist hard enough that both self and wife immediately take notice and turn around to see BG giving us the stink eye as he walks towards the store. There is NO way that I in any way endangered his person physically as the car was in drive the whole time, and he went around us to the rear. He simply wanted it known that we had inconvenienced him.

"No problem." There happens to be a THP pulling into the gas station directly across the street. Instead of returning to the interstate, I pulled directly across the road and informed the officer of what had just transpired. With no physical damage evident, there was little he could do immediately, and I calmly explained that I understood that. I was simply letting him know that if he was on patrol and looking for trouble, there was a great place to start.

As we were talking, I noticed that the driver of the truck came out of the store, having been inside for a grand total of 30 seconds with a line for restrooms and cash register and left w/o pumping any gas. THP elected to follow him to observe for any signs of liquid courage or other things that might be contributing to his feelings of bigness and badness.

Admittedly, this was a wakeup call for me. I have been carrying for going on 2 years now, and I've become somewhat lax, not always carrying when I can. I was armed at the time, and I still get an adrenaline dump just thinking about how that could have gone differently had that jerk been just a little more confrontational. There are people in the world who think it is acceptable to respond with physical violence against a young family because they have been forced to walk an extra 10 feet!

I'd be interested to know any thoughts you might have on the situation. Stay safe and stay armed. You really NEVER know when you might need it.
    BenGoodLuck and Starsnbars like this.

What a jerk. That's kind of weird in that I was born in Texas, and grew up in north Texas, and been to Kilgore a hundred times. It's a small town, and most folks there are quite friendly. You are right though in that I think all of us will occasionly be distracted from full guard. I agree with you telling DPS about idiot, and hope he got pulled over. Hope you don't think all Texan's are this jacked up. A good reminder to always be on guard.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I try to park away from the store front as it's a high traffic area and if anything goes down, I don't want to be that close to the action.
    Aceoky and Starsnbars like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    What a jerk. That's kind of weird in that I was born in Texas, and grew up in north Texas, and been to Kilgore a hundred times. It's a small town, and most folks there are quite friendly. You are right though in that I think all of us will occasionly be distracted from full guard. I agree with you telling DPS about idiot, and hope he got pulled over. Hope you don't think all Texan's are this jacked up. A good reminder to always be on guard.
    Nah. I spent a year living there during school and have lots of family there. Overall, I really enjoy ya'll. I suspect he might have been passing through like myself. That's a super convenient location if you need to stop off for anything.

No hard feelings towards Texans, but I wouldn't mind finding out that said jerk spent a night or more in the pokey for related offenses.
    NONAME762 likes this.

just wondering,did you happen to block the only avail parking spaces and that is why he had to park at the pumps? i would have probably eyeballed you for staying in that position. kinda like "whats this guy up to". a perfect position for a fast get away. regardless,hitting your car was a bit extreme.in my younger days, i would have had some words to say. but nowadays i would not escalate that situation. sometimes we have to look at things from the other side.
    In loving memory of my son Trey. *Aug 28 1982- Sept 1 2004*
    Gone from our home but not from our hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by amendment4 View Post
    just wondering,did you happen to block the only avail parking spaces and that is why he had to park at the pumps? i would have probably eyeballed you for staying in that position. kinda like "whats this guy up to". a perfect position for a fast get away. regardless,hitting your car was a bit extreme.in my younger days, i would have had some words to say. but nowadays i would not escalate that situation. sometimes we have to look at things from the other side.
    Nope. 2-3 of 10 spaces open and it wasn't like I was idling there for even a minute. I pulled out, he pulled in, they pulled out, we started moving, WHAM. This was all in the space of less than 1 minute. He had open spaces along the front of the building if he chose to take them. Other family car had gassed up, both cars had purchased snacks and drinks from inside, and grabbed some whataburger. If we felt like knocking over the store, I think the clerks would have already picked up on it by this time.

And believe me, I definitely get that the timing was perfectly unfortunate. I backed out in the ideal window to make it appear like I was a lazy you know what who felt like gumming up the works for everybody, but you've gotta be a special kind of stupid to think that striking somebody's car is an acceptable response to having to take the long way round the rear of somebody's vehicle. Just to be clear, not directing "special kind of stupid" at you, but rather at the BG. I understand where you are coming from perfectly in that, given how his SA was, we might have looked the part. However, if you're that concerned, call the cops, observe for 20 seconds, or if you think things are about to go down, get the heck out. The fact that he would reach out and strike the car tells me that he was no do-gooder, and if he was, his bedside manner needs some serious work.
    NONAME762 likes this.

Stupid people are everywhere these days for sure. You did right in just pulling on off and fortunately, there was an officer you could tell. If things had been really hairy, keep in mind that there is more than likely video from more than one angle and you certainly don't want footage showing you escalating the situation when you could have pulled away. No way would I hit someone's car like that either these days. You have no way of knowing if a driver or passenger is pissed at the world already and just looking for a chance to confront someone. Everyone is under so much stress these days that it don't take much to set some folks off.

Bobby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RockingGlock32 and mano3 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ZacMan1987 View Post
    Was traveling to TX with the family for late Christmas Thursday .

Meanwhile, F-250 pulls into pump next to the 2nd car and driver exits and heads straight for the front of the store w/o pumping gas. He is walking with a limp

Apparently, he is none too pleased with my car's positioning, which blocked his most direct access to the store front. As he is approaching the rear of my car to go around, 2nd car pulls out and I start rolling towards the station exit.

At this moment, BG strikes the rear of my vehicle with a closed fist hard enough that both self and wife immediately take notice and turn around to see BG giving us the stink eye as he walks towards the store. There is NO way that I in any way endangered his person physically as the car was in drive the whole time, and he went around us to the rear. He simply wanted it known that we had inconvenienced him.

There are people in the world who think it is acceptable to respond with physical violence against a young family because they have been forced to walk an extra 10 feet!

I'd be interested to know any thoughts you might have on the situation. Stay safe and stay armed. You really NEVER know when you might need it.
    I have a feeling that "walking an extra 10'" had little or nothing to do with it. "young family", "late Christmas", lone guy "with a limp".

I expect that your picture of "Holiday bliss" is what got to him. Some people will attack you simply because of the image you conjure up in their mind.
    Aceoky, mano3 and Starsnbars like this.

I had something similar happen to me as I was leaveing work one afternoon. I was backing out pf my spot I of course check all directions I see a gentleman coming down street but not clpse enough for me to worry about so I back out onto the sidewalk and get ready to exit onto the road, as luck would have it there was some traffic coming so I was stuck waiting for the cars to go by while my truck was on the sidewalk. By this time I guess the guy coming down the street had reached my vehicle and wasn't happy I was in his way and punched my rear fender so hard I thought I had been hit by a car from the sound it made. I turn to look in that direction and the guy was at my window screaming for me to get out of the car so he can mess me up. My doors were already locked but my hand went to my sidearm As I quickly pulled away as the chance had presented itself. I was lucky as well being I had the chance to get away because this guy was looking for trouble. I think he had his headphones on and was texting and didn't see my truck until it was too late and thought I almost hit him when in fact I was completely stationary waiting to pull out. I called the police and nothing ever came of it as far as I know. But a really scary situation knowing you may need to defend yourself from somebody like this.

VIP Member
    You meet the nicest people at gas stations. Sarcasm ends. Had something similar happen when traveling the other week. Wife and I stopped for a break and water at an out of state Sheetz. Returned to car, backed out of space and was driving thru the lot when a nice fellow steps right out in front of the vehicle. Gives us a dirty look because he almost got hit.

Some folks just think the world and everyone in it owes them something. Best to drive on and forget about them. Those folks have a way of creating the justice that will take care of them some day.

VIP Member
    "You don't seem to understand, Officer, the deceased hit my car!!!"
    Just kidding. They are out there, to be sure, and will present themselves when least expected. A good reminder.
    ErnieNWillis and Starsnbars like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I've had people start to back up into me from parking places, calling out to them doesn't get their attention. The last time, I had traveled from this woman's right rear to almost left rear of her car when she started backing out - she clearly wasn't paying attention. I thumped her trunk with my first and she was the one who gave me a dirty look - even though she was clearly in the wrong and not paying attention.

It could have easily been a matter of your car starting to move startled him - even if you were going forward instead of backward. Peripheral vision picks up on movement, not necessarily direction. With a limp, he knew there was no way for him to get out of your way if you had been moving backwards and a thump is the quickest and surest way to communicate his position.

He didn't put a dent in your car so no harm no foul. However, you lit him up with the cops and possibly made a stressful day more so when there was no reason to. You wasted the cop's time and distracted him from doing his job by having him address a non-issue. How would you like it if someone asked a cop to have a talk with you for being rude when you were having a crappy day?

VIP Member
    I have met more Holes at gas stations then i care to admit . I was pumping my gas one time in my own state and a guy was two gas lanes over and hollered over to me what the "Hell" i was looking at . To this day i still don't know what that was about .

You did fine it is best to remove yourselfs from that .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    I've had people start to back up into me from parking places, calling out to them doesn't get their attention. The last time, I had traveled from this woman's right rear to almost left rear of her car when she started backing out - she clearly wasn't paying attention. I thumped her trunk with my first and she was the one who gave me a dirty look - even though she was clearly in the wrong and not paying attention.

It could have easily been a matter of your car starting to move startled him - even if you were going forward instead of backward. Peripheral vision picks up on movement, not necessarily direction. With a limp, he knew there was no way for him to get out of your way if you had been moving backwards and a thump is the quickest and surest way to communicate his position.

He didn't put a dent in your car so no harm no foul. However, you lit him up with the cops and possibly made a stressful day more so when there was no reason to. You wasted the cop's time and distracted him from doing his job by having him address a non-issue. How would you like it if someone asked a cop to have a talk with you for being rude when you were having a crappy day?
    I always encourage people to have a nice day when they seem to be having a crappy or stressful one.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

When I was a teenager, I actually got hit (at glacial speed, so no harm done) by a moron backing out without looking. I slapped his trunk reflexively to stabilize myself, and the guy got extremely angry about me hitting his car...to stop myself from falling under the wheels while he was running me over! He called me a punk, I called him a jerk and walked off. The end.

The older, wiser me would have just smiled and given him the thumbs up, because there's just no point in arguing with somebody dumb enough to both hit you with his car and blame you for hitting his car.
    welder516, ctr and Starsnbars like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links