On the question "Can you pull the trigger?"

This is a discussion on On the question "Can you pull the trigger?" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About how some ask or may ask you could you pull the trigger if you had to & could you live with yourself if you ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: On the question "Can you pull the trigger?"

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

On the question "Can you pull the trigger?"

About how some ask or may ask you could you pull the trigger if you had to & could you live with yourself if you shot someone?

I like the following video on that subject how he turned it around to "Could you live with yourself if your family or self were in danger and you did NOT pull the trigger:

Could You Pull The Trigger? - YouTube

PS: Wasn't sure where to post this - I hope this topic fits this section.
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

IMO he makes some good points. He is right about the way of thinking. However, we are not governed by just laws of conscious thought. After pulling the trigger and shooting someone humans have a tendency to over analize the situation. Feelings of Joy, guilt and what if all come into play. Whether we like it or not, it does stir some of those feelings. This is over simplified, but does pertain....

His is more about going into the situation, rather than dealing with the after affects of the situation. IMO his mindset is right.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Yes i could and would pull the trigger.If they hadn't tried to hurt me,i wouldn't have done a thing to them.The one thing i will try my best to not let happen,is someone taking my gun and hurting or killing me.So far as my family it's a no brainer.
    ArmyCop and foxytwo like this.

That was a question that was asked when I interviewed for a PO job.

Yes, I could without hesitation and I would.
    ArmyCop and USM1976 like this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

If my life or family member life was threaten, there would be no question or hesitation in pulling the trigger.
    ArmyCop and Logic like this.
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

Great video. Thanks for posting
    ArmyCop likes this.
    CC Gun: Springfield XD-S 9mm
    Other: Beretta Neos .22

VIP Member
    Nope, I'm a big 'fraidy cat who couldn't possibly shoot anyone under any circumstances.
    ArmyCop and Ghost1958 like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

That is the question each person asks his/her self BEFORE they decide to carry. If the answer is no, don't carry.
    Exacto, ccw9mm, ArmyCop and 6 others like this.
    "We've already run the misfits out of our country." Matthew Quigley

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    If you carry and you can't, you shouldn't.
    airslot, Exacto, ccw9mm and 6 others like this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

VIP Member
    I am a " Anti " so you know my answer is yes i could if the threat was real .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Pull the trigger? Without a doubt.

Live with myself afterwards? No problem there either.

When your'e forced into a situation not of your making, the person/persons who created the situation bear full responsibility for the outcome.

As long as I go home at the end of the day, I'll sleep like a baby.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Distinguished Member
    Should I or my family be threatened in a life or death situation, YES! Without hesitation!
    ArmyCop likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by leprechaun50 View Post
    That is the question each person asks his/her self BEFORE they decide to carry. If the answer is no, don't carry.
    AND, get a pre-paid funeral plan and cemetery plot.

Both of these questions misuse the word could. Could means having the physical capability/ability. Yes, I could pull the trigger. I do it all of the time at the range. And yes, I "could live with that decision" because the antithesis (opposite) would be that I would be dead and therefore NOT able to live with THAT decision.

The question more accurately is "Would You pull the trigger?".

Seriously, only someone with a death wish would not try to defend themselves when faced with a life threatening event if they had the capability to do so. So, yes, I would and so would almost any rational thinking person.

Would I pull the trigger. Well, the alternative would be to choose to die. Not a rational thought.

The question "Would You be able to live with that decision?. Well, yes, because otherwise I would be dead! Could I live with the psychological ramifications of that decision? Well, YES, otherwise I would be dead! Could I make peace with God for taking another life? I think so, since the 10 Commandments (in it's original form) said "Thou shall not commit murder" (Murder being the killing of an innocent), NOT "Thou shall not kill". The BG is/was NOT an innocent. Could I live with the self guilt/survivor guilt from taking another human life. Yes, That is what psychiatrists and therapy is for. I'll get over it because I did the right thing.
    ArmyCop, amendment4 and Recon1342 like this.

There have been people that either couldn't or thought that the BG would just run away when they saw a gun,In some cases it worked,in others they were disarmed and beaten or killed with their own gun.I don't think it's so much a question if you could but WHEN,if you let the BG get too close by the time you pull the trigger he may be able to deflect the gun and then unless you can outfight him, your screwed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

No problem if my life or family's life was threatened. As for living with the thought of taking another life, if that person was willing to do the same I would have no regrets. Being a not so religious person, I'll cross that bridge when/if it happens.
    ArmyCop and SilvaMan61 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links