CC in WA hospital as employee.. with no car

This is a discussion on CC in WA hospital as employee.. with no car within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work in the medical field and am trying to get an internship at the University of Washington Medical Center. They have a no-gun policy ...

Like Tree15Likes
  • 6 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By Echo_Four
  • 2 Post By ShooterGranny
  • 1 Post By lisbeth
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 3 Post By ccw9mm

Thread: CC in WA hospital as employee.. with no car

CC in WA hospital as employee.. with no car

I work in the medical field and am trying to get an internship at the University of Washington Medical Center. They have a no-gun policy but it isn't law... sooo (and correct me if I'm wrong!) if I was just a visitor and they realized I was carrying, they would ask me to leave and that's that. I'd be trespassed if I refused. BUT if I'm an employee, they can terminate me if they find out I'm carrying. And in this particular niche of medical work, if you're fired everyone finds out and you will never work again.
    The obvious answer would be to keep my gun locked up in my car, but here's the kicker - I don't drive. I ride the bus, which is a huge reason why I got my CPL in the first place. My shifts are likely to be in the dead of night so I don't want to be unarmed but I can't figure out what the solution is. Do I risk my life or do I risk my entire career and professional reputation? Neither are acceptable to me.
    Help?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    It sounds like you need to decide which is more important,your right to carry, or your job.

Welcome to the forum. You're in a dilemma because most jobs, based on your occupation refuses guns within the work place. Even some states will NOT allow guns within hospitals. You need a job, so the alternative is to either move closer or find another place to work/do your internship somewhere else.
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

There are other options available to you for defense, besides firearms. None really as effective, to be sure, but you need to wrap your head around other means. I would not choose to put my career in jeopardy this early in the career. Pepper spray, knives or other contact weapons may be legal for you where you work.

At the risk of repeating myself, your mind is the weapon - the gun is just a tool.

And welcome to the forum!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Thanks to my wife being a doc I'm pretty well versed in the art of deep concealment in a health care setting while working on her rig.

Are you wearing scrubs or professional attire? Do you usually wear a labcoat at work?

It is like any other situation. If you plan ahead and think through what you're wearing you can find a method of concealed carry that will ensure that nobody knows you're carrying unless you need the pistol.
    lisbeth likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    ............. you can find a method of concealed carry that will ensure that nobody knows you're carrying unless you need the pistol.
    Echo-Four - please re read the OP's post......She definitely stated that if they found out she would be fired and never work again in that field. And IF she needed the pistol and pulled it out of concealment she WOULD lose her job! That is TOO much of a chance for a young person to take.

UNLESS - and this is a huge IF - the hospital would agree let her bring her gun each day or night and turn it over to their security dept. to be locked in a safe and reclaimed when she was leaving work. That sounds too wild, but might be worth looking into.
    lisbeth and msgt/ret like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    SorryGranny, but that line of logic is just ridiculous to me.

IF she needed the pistol and did NOT have it she would not lose her JOB, she would lose her LIFE. That's a much bigger chance for a young person to take. No job is worth more than your life. I'm familiar with the area the OP is talking about. I wouldn't ride a bus there without being armed. If I was a woman that would be an even bigger reason to ensure I was able to deal with the worst possible situations while going to and from work.

I'll point out that I'm very familiar with the risks associated with carrying a gun in an environment where the bosses think they know better than you do. Note I said I'm well versed in how to ensure you're concealed in a hospital. My wife used to work in a hospital that prevented employees from being armed. This was just after finishing medical school. She had just completed a very demanding education and could have seen it all erased pretty easily. However that's a better option than having someone angry because you wouldn't write them a prescription for Oxycontin deciding they'll just go ahead and kill you.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Do you have your own locker? Perhaps you could leave it in your bag in the locker. Then re-arm in the restroom just before you leave.

i'm usually in scrubs and a lab coat, but it looks like the people in that lab wear street clothes with a lab coat.

i am going to look into the security option, i think the county hospital has something like that, i just need to check this one.

...thank you everyone for your input! i've got some time before i need to make my decision, and who knows? maybe i'll end up somewhere else where it's a non-issue. also, i am definitely working on learning other defense options - pepper spray, etc. i would like to do some unarmed self defense training too.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

Is there sercuitry at the hosptiatl could you discrete ask them to lock up the gun for you ? I dont know the laws in that part of the world but maybe have a lox box or just say to security hey I have a expensive computer etc in my bag (with your gun it it someone easy to draw from) could you lock it up for me ?? And make sure you lock it .

Also maybe talk to HR say you are worried about your saftey maybe ask if you are allow any weapons at all ( CN/CS spray like a pepper blaster is very nasty or a taser) or if you can get esorct to the bus stop. But if talking to them would get you in trobule dont do it ..
    lisbeth likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lisbeth View Post
    i am going to look into the security option, i think the county hospital has something like that, i just need to check this one.

...thank you everyone for your input! i've got some time before i need to make my decision, and who knows? maybe i'll end up somewhere else where it's a non-issue. also, i am definitely working on learning other defense options - pepper spray, etc. i would like to do some unarmed self defense training too.

Look at the kimber pepper blaster or the cxp peppersteam (?) both fired pepper spray at a very high speed ( 60 and 300 mph resp ) so that would minized blowback and it will cause a lot of pain. Also if you get normal spray do know that some people are not effect at all by pepper spray ( either they have been sprayed a lot or have a gentic resistenes to it ) I always like CN/OC/UV combo spray CN is mace true mace you are basically coucghin up your lungs from it and combind that with pepper not a good day.

As for taser just get the launching kind the true taser either the civi or police one will drop most people

Of course my personal fav semi non lethal tool is the blackjack or sap ( basically either spring loaded lead weight or a lead disc in leather ) one good blow to the head will cause a very very bad day . And can easily smash bone .. But they tend to be illagle as heck in most places ( check though you never know). I am not a massive fan of ASP clubs ( they were made to be less lethal and do need a bit more training to use blackjack not really)

As for hand to hand I always say either Sambo or Krav maga both nasty street fighting stuff and learn armed disarming . But a lot of the thai etc stuff is brutally too.

And do look at SAP gloves ( more legal then brass knuckles) they look like normal leather gloves ( but have lead buckshot in the knuckles) go way to add a bit of ump if you will and are pretty discrete unless you pick them up
    lisbeth likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lisbeth View Post
    Do I risk my life or do I risk my entire career and professional reputation? Neither are acceptable to me.
    If you've got a locker area where you can store your personal items while at work, that might be the best alternative available to you. A nearby bus or train station, perhaps, or even the locker/storage area at the facility.

Determine the mix of pros/cons you're prepared to live with, then sleep well at night. It's a risk, for anyone who decides to carry as an employee on an employer's business or property in which it's highly likely that employer will react badly. If that risk is tolerable to you, with all its long-term impacts and implications, then do what you need to do.

All of this presumes the statute in your state doesn't criminalize such carry, of course.
    Echo_Four, Hoganbeg and lisbeth like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Well, she is in Seattle so it's not illegal. Loss of job and reputation would be the worst result.

Links