You come upon an apparently empty business...

This is a discussion on You come upon an apparently empty business... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; as I did today. Went to the local chicken place to get an easy dinner for the family. I wasn't sure what I wanted so ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: You come upon an apparently empty business...

as I did today.

Went to the local chicken place to get an easy dinner for the family. I wasn't sure what I wanted so skipped the drive-thru and went to the door. As my wife and I got to the door, I stopped her realizing I couldn't see any workers. This seemed srtange for being about 6 o'clock. They had a monitor facing the door that cycled through the security cameras (an unwise practice but useful for me). I watched it through two full cycles and saw no movement anywhere. I decided to enter, clearing my jacket for a draw.

Inside it was quiet and I hesitated between retreat or going to the counter to look for anyone. I compromised and called out loudly. On the second call, two workers and the manager came out. They had been chatting in the office which was not covered by the cameras. I let my jacket fall to conceal my pistol and made no mention of the matter.

I did consider that either everyone was away from the front, as turned out to be the case, or that it was possible a robbery had taken place and the workers could be locking in the back, yet I chose to go in.

Would others have done the same, different or think I was being overly paranoid in this situation?
    ArmyCop likes this.
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin

2. Remove Ads

Paranoid? I can't say. However, I would have never went I & selected the drive thru.
    Sarisataka and Starsnbars like this.
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

Distinguished Member
    A few years ago I would have gone in and called out like you did. Now, with the world seeming to get worse each day and with practicing my SA a lot more -- I don't think I would go in.

But I'm not a Marine..........even though Gramps is.
    Sarisataka and tdave like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I would say depened on what time of day and what day. But yeah 6oclock dinner time I would have been worried too .
    Sarisataka and Starsnbars like this.

My antennae would have been up and running as well. Like you, I'd strongly suspect foul play in such a situation, during a typical lunch or dinner "hour" as that. Easily determined, though, by calling out to see if anyone was there. Most small businesses will have a buzzer or warning mechanism on doorways, but restaurants seem to generally not have such things. Interesting situation. I recall seeing it a handful of times, but I wasn't any more concerned than you appeared to be. It's certainly a possibility, walking in on a robbery in progress. I hope I'll always consider it, if encountering such an empty spot in future.
    Sarisataka likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Good to be suspicious. I think I'd have done the same.

It would take more than a small chance of running into armed robbers to deter me from getting a chicken dinner.
    oldnfat and Sarisataka like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I think you did OK, but I'm not sure what you mean by "cleared your jacket for a draw." Did your gun remain concealed?
    Hopyard and Sarisataka like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I'd be more worried about what they were doing to the chickens in back.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    So your SA is alerted and your firearm is now a second away from draw and visible and you go toward the potential problem as if you are the LEO supposedly protecting and serving. You do what you gotta do and those that approve can do the same--I back off and call 911. Give the scenario a little more juice since there were cameras. The manager is in the back and sees you "clear your jacket for a draw" and comes out with his firearm in hand and is not about to wait and have a conversation with you even if you are yelling (bad guys can yell the same thing the good guys do)--now what? Are you dead yet?

VIP Member
    Not only could it have been a robbery that had taken place, but it also could have been an active robbery in progress, or worse yet a relationship shooting in progress. Personally I would have probably backed out of there and given that situation some temporary distance for the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarisataka View Post
    This seemed srtange for being about 6 o'clock....... On the second call, two workers and the manager came out. They had been chatting in the office.....
    ^^^ I don't ask for many things in life, but when I'm patronizing a business, and spending my money there, I do like to get waited on somewhat promptly and efficiently.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

So you suspect a robbery and you went in anyway? Jeeze is that the only chicken joint in town? :D

"My life for a drumstick"

I think I would have called 911, explained the situation and requested a welfare check, and then stayed in my car until the coast was clear. I like good chicken, but not that much.
    CLASS3NH, Sarisataka and Goldy49 like this.

you are not LE. you have no obligation to intervene in a possible crime. why would you even enter the building as if you were? especially with your wife present. that situation could have turned tragic. a dead hero does you wife no good. next time call the police and leave the hollywood stuff alone. i am a bit concearned about the amount of posts that i read on this forum who think they are LE or some sort of super hero. leave it to the professionals and live another day.
    In loving memory of my son Trey. *Aug 28 1982- Sept 1 2004*
    Gone from our home but not from our hearts.

Yea, something like that has happened to me a few times, but not at 6 P.M. When I notice something that is out of the ordinary or out of place, I'll retreat back to my vehicle and if not backed in for a rapid exit if need be, do it then or pull to a place and observe from a comfortable distance before making any assumptions.

Most likely it's like what you experienced but in this day and age you never know? Personally, I'd need a little more conformation before I called for a welfare check or 9-1-1.

Then again... Are we talking the Colonel's, Popeye's, Church's and what grade do they have from the health department
    tcox4freedom and Sarisataka like this.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

I would've called the local PD and told them of my observation and concern and at a safe distance I would have kept an eye on the location till the police arrived.
    It's Range Time!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links