The Best Weapon

This is a discussion on The Best Weapon within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Where Im at, we have a bad storm moving in today. So, last night I was out and about gathering extra supplies. There was only ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: The Best Weapon

The Best Weapon

Where Im at, we have a bad storm moving in today. So, last night I was out and about gathering extra supplies.

There was only one place in town to buy kerosene. Its not in the worst, or the best part of town. And at night its probably fair to say that its more "lively".

At any rate, the kerosene pump was to the side of the building, in the dark. I brought a headlamp with me, so not a huge issue, and I scanned the area beforehand.

My wife wanted to buy something in the store, so we both start walking around to the front of the building when I hear a loud argument between a man and a woman. Obviously a Domestic type situation. We couldnt see the people arguing, btw, as they were in a car, not out in the open. Though, they were so loud, I kept looking for the people.

I immediately stop, and indicate for my wife to come with me, as we proceeded back to our vehicle. The people having the argument almost immediately drove off, a woman in the car ...."loudly chastising" the male driver, all the way.

We then proceeded back into the store. One of the employees shared with us that the male had just appeared in court on a Domestic Assault charge. From where I sit, it looks like hes apt to be appearing again, really soon, too.

Anyway, I was armed at the time, of course. As in I had a carry weapon with me. No one ever knew I had a weapon with me. There was no reason to deploy it, though there might easily have been, should I have stumbled into the middle of a domestic dispute.

What pleased me most, though, was that I was instantly on the situation. I was aware that I had a weapon, but the best weapon I employed last night was my brain, and using good situational awareness.

2. Remove Ads

Anytime. Anywhere.

Agreed: your best weapon is your brain ... don't leave home without it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    Totally agree. No reason in the world to get involved. And I think even if a punch was thrown you don't bring your gun into that situation.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Never interfere in a domestic dispute, you'll lose.

As loud as the argument may have been in a public place, there was little reason to get involved, other than the 'owner' of the property to ask them to quiet down. People have their right to argue regardless of how uncomfortable it may make others. Thoughts of weapons or self defense should not be applied to this description. However self-awareness is always applicable.
    Hoganbeg, BenGoodLuck and ccw9mm like this.

Superior decision on your part ...avoid confrontations at all costs ,,especially domestic disputes the minute that
    Weapon comes out of holster you going to have a lot of explaining to do ....
    BenGoodLuck and Starsnbars like this.

You guys know how we are all warned about giving statements immediately after an event, for fear it wont be accurate when we give it? My OP brings that home to me.

I wrote things up for that post, did so honestly and accurately, but obviously failed to convey something important. AT THE TIME I WAS PUT ON ALERT, I did not know what the situation was. Just "loud hostile voices", "somewhere" close, etc. I couldnt see into the car where the dispute was going on, as there was a glare from the store lights on their windshield. It was only when they were driving off, and subsequently confirmed by the store clerk, that the situation became clear for what it was.

So, all decisions had to be made BEFORE I knew the real situation, but did have some info to act upon. It was enough info for me to know to: HALT, retreat the way we came to a place of more safety, while still being on the look out for threats coming our way. Then to proceed once the threat had left the area.
    BenGoodLuck, Hoganbeg and BadgerJ like this.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    AT THE TIME I WAS PUT ON ALERT, I did not know what the situation was. Just "loud hostile voices", "somewhere" close, etc. It was only when they were driving off, that the situation became clear for what it was.
    This is one of the great lessons of defensive mindset and preparations. Unless one knows what's what, about all that can be said is that there's trouble, and exiting stage right might well be the only valid option at that point. Can't engage effectively unless and until we know what we're engaging, and unless something boils toward us it can get statutorily sticky as to whether we have justification to touch it with a 10ft pole.

Plus, "junkyard dog" fights (ie, domestics) are rough. Almost without exception, it's a lose-lose proposition to get involved in any such thing. They go ugly with frightening regularity, often both parties turning on the one insinuating himself into the situation ostensibly to "protect" folks from harm. Unless someone's clearly at dire risk of death or dismemberment, I'd have a hard time involving myself in a clear "domestic" type deal. Withdraw, reevaluate, consider calling in the cavalry if warranted, only getting directly involved if lives are on the line. About all one can do.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    " a woman in the car ...."loudly chastising" the male driver, all the way. "

Maybe his assault would have been justified as seen through the reasonable eyes of a nagged husband? I avoids domestic disputes like the plaque, especially my own.

I think the term "best" has been redefined as "most popular for any of a million reasons."
    BenGoodLuck and Secret Spuk like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Ok Storm as I see it you did everything wrong. Next time OC your AR. When the couple was fighting, approach them and make your presence known. Let them know that you have a eye on them, and that you are not afraid to use your AR....... LMAO.....

Okay, Seriously....You did everything a person carrying or not, should have done.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

In the case of pending disaster, and or seriously inclement weather I think the best weapon to have would be a service sized pistol or revolver with considerable reloads. Probably a long gun in the car. As you were getting some survival supplies, you may not be the only ones to have that Idea. Some with the idea may not have the means to get supplies. We know that the less available life sistaining supplies, the more desperate people get.

Everyone is discussing the argument between two people in a car? Other than a possible planned distraction, why is it even important?
    Hopyard, msgt/ret and BenGoodLuck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Ok Storm as I see it you did everything wrong. Next time OC your AR. When the couple was fighting, approach them and make your presence known. Let them know that you have a eye on them, and that you are not afraid to use your AR....... LMAO.....

Okay, Seriously....You did everything a person carrying or not, should have done.

Distinguished Member
    Yep! The most effective weapon is between your ears.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    In the case of pending disaster, and or seriously inclement weather I think the best weapon to have would be a service sized pistol or revolver with considerable reloads. Probably a long gun in the car. As you were getting some survival supplies, you may not be the only ones to have that Idea. Some with the idea may not have the means to get supplies. We know that the less available life sistaining supplies, the more desperate people get.

Everyone is discussing the argument between two people in a car? Other than a possible planned distraction, why is it even important?
    Spuk, your post is logical. It makes sense... but I dont think most I encountered that night were acting on logic, and I dont mean just the domestic dispute couple.

I was THEY ONLY ONE in the camping isle at walmart last night, and I stayed there some time looking for things to pick up. Like coleman replacement parts, fuel, funnel, wicks, etc.

LOTS of young people (teens) were there in short pants, there were pallets of snow melt, with no one buying any. Darn few seemed to be preparing for anything. Me, I was filling all the cars up, going non stop to get things up to snuff, down to storing water for the toliets, etc.

Go figure.

Agree with Oldpsufan. Stay out of it. If you must, call Law Enforcement.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links