Bank robbery story with picture... what would you do? (Franklin VA)

This is a discussion on Bank robbery story with picture... what would you do? (Franklin VA) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.wavy.com/news/crime/suspe...-franklin-bank SunTrust.jpg I was in this bank a couple weeks ago, armed as usual with a PT145 concealed OWB 3 o'clock under a zipped light ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Bank robbery story with picture... what would you do? (Franklin VA)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

http://www.wavy.com/news/crime/suspe...-franklin-bank

SunTrust.jpg

I was in this bank a couple weeks ago, armed as usual with a PT145 concealed OWB 3 o'clock under a zipped light fleece jacket.

Not reported in this story, but elsewhere I read, one stayed by the door and one jumped the counter, which actually doesn't seem to fit with the picture. They come in with masks and order everyone on the ground.

Me, I'm not going to ground with a gun pointed at me. I'm thinking quick and decisive action with movement as available, raise off hand in surrender, fake compliance, blade away, hope he is distracted by other customers, draw and take the closest one out running about 3 rounds up the chest to the head, hopefully the door man will scram before I get to him.

Side note, hard to see them coming in when you're doing business, so they will definitely be in your zone when you know you're in a tight spot. Heck might even be close enough to go H2H or bum rush with a gut shot but the second man is the wild card. Could really hurt to act without knowing all the facts, but sometimes you just get dealt a bad hand.

Thoughts?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    The bank manager told me as a CC , just to let them take the money . Do not try to be a hero . They (bank) will get more money .

Only problem with that if the robbers fire a shot or hurt someone then all bets are off , but the situation would not be good with three armed bandits .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Lead Moderator
    All depends on the situation. Two on one odds are not great , even with surprise. Who knows , they may have had a third or fourth either as a customer or a driver. Also, what if a off duty LEO was there? Too many ways for it to sideways unless they are herding everyone somewhere or shooting I probably would wait and see rather than play Sheriff.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I would comply, specially with multiple armed robbers, specially with lots of bystanders. However, if they started patting down the customers, tried to herd us into the vault, shot somebody, etc...then it's go time. No sense in waiting around once you know inaction will probably mean death.

Let them take the cash and leave. Hopefully no one gets hurt and you live to see another day. No need to John Wayne it here and risk getting you or someone else hurt or killed.

I worked in Credit Unions for years and I can tell you from experience talking with detectives about robbery situations and break-ins they do not recommend any sort of action. The robbers are not junkies looking for spare cash. Typically they have planned and cased the target for weeks or months. They are fully aware and not easily surprised. I feel the surprise element would be lost in this situation and you'd be the one with a slow hand pulling the weapon. This is all opinion based and every situation is different but this is what I was told during multiple talks when detectives and LEO's came to our staff meeting.
    Phaedrus and bigpapa like this.

VIP Member
    The banks usually don't seem too particularly concerned with any of us keeping our money, I am not going to play Wyatt Earp to their favor.

I really hate it when it appears someone is funnier than me,,
    From one of the posters,

Robber1 - Hey man what are we going to do now we have all this money?
    Robber2 - Let's head back to trailer. My sister is there and we can have some fun....
    StormRhydr likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Most bank robbers are going to just show their guns as a show of force and intimidation. If it appears to be a grab and dash from the get go then I will get down and let them take the bank's money. At that point I'll be a good witness.

If they start shooting, start robbing individual people, start getting physical, or moving people to a new location then they obviously are willing to use that force they showed earlier. At that point it is time to engage, move off the X, and find cover.

Unless they were definitely going to kill me I'd just comply. It may be an in and out deal and the bank is federally insured. Let them take the money.

Here's why I say that:

There was a story out CPL instructor told us to discourage us from being cop wannabes.

A bank robbery took place. A CPL holder, thinking he was doing a public service, drew his gun stealthily and was about to engage only to be shot in the back of the head by a "sleeper" in plain clothes. The sleeper then said out loud "anyone else want to play hero?"

The thing is they have control of the situation. They have you outgunned, outnumbered and out planned. Probably with one or two plain clothed sleepers with guns within the crowd. These are things you don't know.

Now if the lives of you and yours were in immediate danger, then I'd draw and shoot without hesitation. At that point it's an imminent kill or be killed scenario. I'd go down swinging.

Either than that, money's just money. Banks have that covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would do nothing and comply up until the point that they start shooting, or threatening or harming people, or herding people into another room.
    DanielC, flintlock62 and OlCop like this.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    If they don't pull the trigger, you're risking a lot by being the first one to do so. You could hit an innocent, you could find out the hard way there's an accomplice you didn't know about, you could find that the guns they had were not real at all -- and the bank really will get more money, so you've just put yourself and a lot of people at risk.

I also wonder if you can justify shooting someone if they are not actively threatening you or someone within proximity with their life. If they're just carrying guns and not actively threatening people with them, hard to justify shooting them.

I'd wait and not play hero until they pulled the trigger. But then, as others have said, if they do that all bets are off. No way I'm going to assume they won't shoot me if they're shooting anything.
    welder516 and DanielC like this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Don't know what I would do until said situation presented itself.

VIP Member
    Going by what was in the article I would just comply but as others have said if they start shooting or herding people then all bets are off.
    welder516 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    flintlock62 and GWarden like this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    It is only money, let them take it. Bank robbers very rarely shoot anyone, they just want to get the money and get on their way. By offering any resistance you are just risking everyone in the bank.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links