tailed by car

This is a discussion on tailed by car within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since I have been carrying my situational awareness has gone up. I went to the Walmart across town and when I came out to my ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree141Likes

Thread: tailed by car

tailed by car

Since I have been carrying my situational awareness has gone up. I went to the Walmart across town and when I came out to my car notice four Hispanic looking guys sitting in a old beater Honda watching me enter my car, they were parked directly across from me.(I'm not the slightest bit racist but all the Hispanics here form cute little gangs) As soon I pulled out they followed.

I drove about halfway home and noticed they were still behind me, so for giggles I decided to drive a rather absurd way home with lots of turns. They were still following me. So I decided home was not where I was headed at this point. I pulled into the the 24 hour grocery store.(hoping there would be some form of a witness there)I put the car into a parking spot. They park one row behind me. I proceed to step out of my car, I open carry a full size xdm 3.8 at 3 o'clock.

As soon as I stepped out of the car and turned towards them I believe they must have seen my xdm because out of nowhere they gunned it out of the parking lot. I don't know if it's all just coincidence and I'm paranoid or my situational awareness may have just saved me from something. I'm also in idaho with mass plates. So I don't know if that makes me seem like an easy target. How would any of you guys have handled that same exact situation.

Did I handle it right? Or was there a better way? I would have just driven to the police station but I'm new to the area and have no idea where the county sheriffs office is.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If they followed you for that long and after all your turns, I doubt it was a coincidence. Good SA on your part. Find out where your sheriff's office is, so if there's a next time, you'll know where to drive.

Sent from whichever side of my brain comes up with these things.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Another reason why we carry, just in case the "coincidence" turns out to be something more. Good job on your part for being alert.
    BenGoodLuck and mano3 like this.
    Romans 12:21

24 hour grocery store is probably about as good as it gets if you don't know where the station is, assuming there are other cars in the lot (and hopefully a few people in and out of store). I work odd hours and am often out to the store for whatever late at night, times like that you have to be extra careful with SA.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    I would say you should have called 911, waited for police to show up before you stopped. 4 against 1 is not good odds and each one of them could have been packing.

Personally I probably would have stayed in my car; it's the best weapon I own. But otherwise it sounds like just what I would have done, and have done on a few occasions.
    BenGoodLuck and tcox4freedom like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I'm really glad it ended right there. because 4 vs 1 isn't good odds especially if there were to be multiple firearms involved. i now carry 2 extra mags. i used to just carry the 19+1 in the xdm. but now i carry 39 hornady critical defense and a magazine of double tap HCFP+p
    NONAME762 and WrongRecroom like this.

Sometimes a cell phone and a 4000 pound vehicle trump any handgun. Stepping out of the vehicle is only giving them better odds.

911 and a trip to a local law enforcement facility would have been an interesting tactic
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

i stated i didn't know where the station is. I'm pretty new to the area.
    Aceoky likes this.

Call 911 and either tell them where you are or ask directions. They (cops)could join in the train then you could lead them into a dead end (pun intended).
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

People make fun of smartphones, but in this situation, asking Siri to find the nearest police station might be helpful.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by zrcogg View Post
    i stated i didn't know where the station is. I'm pretty new to the area.
    And you have no cell phone? If not maybe a cell would be a logical choice for your next personal protection investment.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I'd say you did right well Idaho Man. I live in a small town in WA that is primarily a farming community. As you might surmise there is a rather large population of Hispanics in the area. I have a story from when I was young and dumb I'm gonna give y'all.

I was around 33 to 38. I drove an old 75 Ford Bronco back then. I had my WA CC permit and carried sporadically. Not sure if I had my 357 this particular evening but when I realized I had a tail behind me I felt naked and extremely paranoid. For a few minutes I just cruised aimlessly. It was Saturday night and back then there was little to do in that town for a guy like me.

As the car behind me (a large 4 door sedan with at least 4 people) continued to match me turn for turn an idea popped into my head. I turned my 4 by to head behind the mall and near the old Payless Hardware store. There was an area of bare ground just loose dirt really maybe 200 feet wide by 400 feet long coming up. I slowed down to barely 5 MPH as I rolled into it.
    Those following me stayed right with me. I slowed to the point where I barely was moving forward. They did likewise. As I reached the midpoint I semi gunned it. Now I had a stock 302 cu in V-8 in a short azzed truck that would have done right well with a 235 straight six. Anywho with my rear tires slinging dirt behind me but maintaining ROLLING TRACTION I pretty well lit outta there!! Anywho the driver following me had no idea I'd sprung my trap and he and his ignoramus cohorts were...well...ship outta luck!!

When I rolled past them a minute later they were stuck big time and I was laughing my butt off!!!!! I was also smart enough to realize it was time to head for the barn.

I CC. I got all the respect in the world for the OC crowd among us. I'm NOT talking about the OC baiters looking to make a quick few thou off LEO that don't have the word about LEGAL OC folks.

I still watch my 6 and commend you for doing the same Idaho Man. By the way if you don't have a prob with mellow REDNECKS you're Welcome to join my merry little band.

HUA
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    And you have no cell phone? If not maybe a cell would be a logical choice for your next personal protection investment.
    HEY!! Don't talk this man into sumpin he don't want!! I done right well without a cell phone for 14 years Bubba!!!!!

Besides which when the power goes out LANDLINES STILL WORK!!!
    rtbrown likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

no problem with rednecks. and i have a phone and some have told me i should have googled it. do you know how hard it is to get siri to google something?
    gdolson likes this.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links