MURDER ON THE ROAD: "Road Rage Victim Eluded Killer For Up To 15 Miles

This is a discussion on MURDER ON THE ROAD: "Road Rage Victim Eluded Killer For Up To 15 Miles within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found this extremely scary, a lone car following mine at high speeds, around twists and turns - knowing my death was his probable intent. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: MURDER ON THE ROAD: "Road Rage Victim Eluded Killer For Up To 15 Miles

MURDER ON THE ROAD: "Road Rage Victim Eluded Killer For Up To 15 Miles

I found this extremely scary, a lone car following mine at high speeds, around twists and turns - knowing my death was his probable intent.

What would you have done if you were the victim in order to escape his fate?

1) There is of course the likelihood you'd be armed but in addition to that, which is fine to address, there is the reality this poor man had: he wasn't armed. So, I am not always armed, I could think through it both ways, what would I do if armed? What would I do if unarmed.

2) Even if you CCW all the time, using imagination you can put yourself in the man's position, unarmed, and see if you could come up with a tactic, including perhaps using something that could be YOUR lethal weapon and allow escape from death.

So, if you can: what would you do if armed in such a situation and what would you do in the reality of this victim's position, if you were unarmed?

Police: Road Rage Victim Eluded Killer For Up To 15 Miles

By Ray Sanchez. Jean Casarez and Julian Cummings, CNN

Police: Road rage victim eluded killer for up to 15 miles - CNN.com

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm thinking, if need be, the back of my vehicle will hold up better than the front of his.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Like many of these kinds of stories, I suspect there is much we aren't being told so it is hard to say what options the victim had or if this was more than just "road rage". Armed or not, I would do my best to avoid being run off the road.
    BugDude and 40Bob like this.
    Never get out of the boat....

This entirely would depend on what I was driving at the time. If it's my old beater station wagon that'd suck, if it's my muscle car I'll just outrun him.

BTW I have had more unpleasant encounters in the beater than I ever have had in the muscle car. I think they profile :P

Quote Originally Posted by Goat_Guy View Post
    Like many of these kinds of stories, I suspect there is much we aren't being told so it is hard to say what options the victim had or if this was more than just "road rage". Armed or not, I would do my best to avoid being run off the road.
    How?

I can't think it was anything besides some form of Rage unless the killer was a pro on a hit. But I imagine the background of the victim would, by now, have turned up something to indicate reasons for anyone's wanting to order his death.

Sounds like the victim knew they were in for trouble. Assuming I knew the same, I'd rather not get in a gunfight even if armed. If I was in my Jeep, speed and maneuverability aren't really options however it's practically a tank and can give and take a heck of a beating, and if available I could off-road it and elude. If it was my wife's new Mini S, I'm confident that unless the other driver has professional driving experience or training, I could burn asphalt and out-drive them.
    wdbailey likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    I've driven this piece of I 81 and though there is plenty of heavy traffic during the daytime, I don't think
    I'd feel all that comfortable there (or almost anywhere) at 2 A.M. Some of the drive from I 70 N toward Harrisburg
    is a tad on the isolated side.

Unarmed, or armed, some thoughts which may or may not have been practical for the victim.

1) When it first started exit and try to run back toward I-70 where there is more traffic, and potentially more cops, or
    cops closer toward him. By continuing to run N (if I'm understanding it) he was not only running toward a more isolated
    part of the drive, but further from where the Maryland police could likely intercept the situation, and toward an area
    where the PA police might be further away from him as well.

2) I seem to recall that there aren't many exits at that point to turn around at, but there are some, and if you know the area-- I don't and maybe he didn't, there probably are truck stops at or near each exit. Maybe he could have made a run for an
    open truck stop, again to seek the safety of others and witnesses.

3) There's not enough information about what forced off the road actually meant in terms of things like "off the paved area" and
    with what level of damage to the victim's vehicle if any. It almost sounds like he just sat there and waited for the end. There would certainly be a few seconds between when the car came to a stop and the assailant got stopped and able to fire on him.
    I've no clue if the victim could have bailed and tried to use the night or the landscape for cover.

4) Any CC holder scooting through that section of Maryland has a serious problem.... no reciprocity with Maryland. You might have been fine in VA, but you would have had to take it off and lock it up before heading through Maryland. The assailant might
    actually be aware of the fact that interstate travelers on I-81 run into that problem and so he likely would not meet armed resistance.

This stretch of road and this incident is going to be my Exhibit 1 for the necessity of national reciprocity.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I remember something part of the famous car-chase scene in BULLITT with Steve McQueen, still the best of all car chase scenes in my view, and completely filmed, in segments, as it was actually happening - no high-tech stuff back then.

As per-BULLITT:

When the guy came up to my side to force me off the road I'd slam on the brakes slowing immediately and fast while his vehicle flew past me at high speed. I'd move my car half-off the road and wait to see what came next: including nothing and his giving it up if other cars passed me - he can't very well back up into cars moving forward at 70mph. If there was no traffic: I'd have to see what he did and ad-lib my next move based on his and also the immediate geography (like could I drive through the meridian area separating the two lanes, and then floor it the opposite direction to the nearest exit as I informed 911. And I definitely would request a constant connection to 911)

Having a gun would help primarily it seems when he forced you over. Before that, the risks and difficulty of trying to shoot a racing car behind you just about precludes the attempt. One bad move driving and he wouldn't have to kill you, you'd fly off the road like a rocket.
    Last edited by detective; January 10th, 2014 at 07:34 PM.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Hehehe, Dale Earnhardt was my hero. Rubbin is racin.
    BugDude likes this.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

didn't he die horribly in a twisted ball of metal and fiberglass?
    Quote Originally Posted by velo99 View Post
    Hehehe, Dale Earnhardt was my hero. Rubbin is racin.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wdbailey View Post
    didn't he die horribly in a twisted ball of metal and fiberglass?
    Buzzkill
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    I have no idea what all went down, but I do know it is hard to shoot from inside a vehicle, talk on the phone to 911 and drive 100+ mph all at the same time, no matter how many internet forums I participate in.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Let's see, I have 2012 Camaro SS and a 2012 Corvette LT3. I am going to go with the accelerate away from them choice.

My other vehicle is a 2005 Dodge dually. If he insist on playing bang fender, good luck to him.

If on my motorcycle I will out accelerate him.

There is always the gun.

Cell phone for 911.
    40Bob and fredg53 like this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by wdbailey View Post
    This entirely would depend on what I was driving at the time. If it's my old beater station wagon that'd suck, if it's my muscle car I'll just outrun him.

BTW I have had more unpleasant encounters in the beater than I ever have had in the muscle car. I think they profile :P
    Dont bet on outrunning anyone, regardless of what you are driving at the time. I had just that incident happen to me years ago.

I was in a hot rod mustang that could have easily outran the pickup truck load of drunks that started chasing me and my date. And I guess I did outrun them...any number of times. Then I would get caught behind other traffic at lights, or whatever.

It escalated to the truck load of drunks urninating over the side of the truck at my car, shaking their members at my date, and then trying a number of times to run me off the road. That was the last straw.

I pulled out a ruger single six, cocked and dropped it on the drivers head, fully intending to shoot him. Thats when he did the only bright thing he did that night; He hit the brakes.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    If it were me and I was alone, I'd drive over the median and head into oncoming traffic (hey, it's sparse), and the elude him by going up a ramp the wrong way.

I mean we're talking life or death, right?

Of course you could do other things, but I don't think even a road rager would follow you down the interstate going the wrong way.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links