Shield almost touched the ground

This is a discussion on Shield almost touched the ground within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just bought a shield for myself for Christmas and yesterday was the first real day she went out with me. As I'm still in the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Shield almost touched the ground

Shield almost touched the ground

Just bought a shield for myself for Christmas and yesterday was the first real day she went out with me. As I'm still in the searching process for a good holster I picked up a cheap blackhawk IWB to use while I get a better holster, looking at the old faithful shells as I have a OF holster for one of my other carry guns. So now to the story decided a group of us friends are going to the movies last night so I strap on the shield IWB 3.30 and pull my belt tight and out the door I go... get there fine, sit down enjoy the movie and as I stand up after the movie ends I can feel my gun and the holster is not tucked in any longer and is about ready to fall on the ground! I quickly realize I must act quick so I sat back down slipped my jacket on and held my gun up with my hand in my jacket pocket until I got to the car. Moral of the story I will not be carrying the shield out until I get a new holster. The worst part is I should know better then to trust my $400 gun in a $13 holster!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by caddisman View Post
    Just bought a shield for myself for Christmas and yesterday was the first real day she went out with me. As I'm still in the searching process for a good holster I picked up a cheap blackhawk IWB to use while I get a better holster, looking at the old faithful shells as I have a OF holster for one of my other carry guns. So now to the story decided a group of us friends are going to the movies last night so I strap on the shield IWB 3.30 and pull my belt tight and out the door I go... get there fine, sit down enjoy the movie and as I stand up after the movie ends I can feel my gun and the holster is not tucked in any longer and is about ready to fall on the ground! I quickly realize I must act quick so I sat back down slipped my jacket on and held my gun up with my hand in my jacket pocket until I got to the car. Moral of the story I will not be carrying the shield out until I get a new holster. The worst part is I should know better then to trust my $400 gun in a $13 holster!
    Very wise move. Get your self a good holster ASAP. There are so many options. all leather, hybrids, all kydex. And many are less then 30 more you paid for the cheapy blackhawk. Also, if your handgun does fall, never try to grab it. Finger hits the trigger and you have a ND on your hands.

Enjoy and stay safe.
    Always Carry, Never Tell. Stay Safe. EDC .40 S&W, BUG .380 ACP, HD .40 S&W , 5.56 and 12GA, Range Toys .357Mag , .22LR

Every so often we need reminded of the "buy once, cry once" motto.

GH
    A proper holster is the best idea I've heard in a long time, lol. And also the statement that you should never grab a dropping gun. It doesn't need to be super expensive but one that fits & will stay put when positioned properly. I always like a holster that attaches to the belt & that sort of rules out the Sticky variety.
    gatorbait51 and CjTex61 like this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Scars are just a bonding experience, no worries! I can tell you exactly where each scratch and ding on my Sig came from. The huge scratch down my grip is from when I was chasing an idiot down the street and tripped over a manhole cover. Hit the ground sig-grip-first and slid for a while. Took it home and cleaned / oiled / apologized. The giant scratch down the top of the slide is from practicing one handed jam clearing / reloads. I racked my slide on my boot heel, and the rock that was in my boot sole left a scar. Again, clean / oil / kiss / apologize. Now we're even closer than ever

That's why I'm on forums like this one, to learn from others on the good and bad. Researched quite a bit before I decided on what holsters to buy and happy to say I love them all!
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

I believe if your Shield touches the ground you have to burn it.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

The problem with blackhawe/uncle mikes etc all is they are a bag for your gun . They are made to fit a bunch so there fit might not be there

I have a remora for the shild I think it is great and it only cost me like 25 bucks .. Some cheep holster are good some are not .

I personal wont carry a gun unless the holster is made for it .. Unless it is a pocket holster there is more tolerene there plus it wont drop down you leg if it fails .. But for OWB/IWB it is galco or remora for me at miniium ..

Get a pocket holster in the mine time or a remora whil you wait for sometime else .. My 2 cents ..

I will say I do have one gun that works prefect in a simply blackhawk and hids well that I am keeping but that is about the only one.

At least it was dark at the movies .. Not in the public bathroom etc ..
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    It's OK, the 5 second rule applies to Shields as well as hot dogs off the grill....

I like my Alien gear IWB hybrid holster for my Shield, and other pistols. You can adjust to make them tighter if they loosen up.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Slightly off topic, but in line with the "get a holster made specifically for the gun" idea: A couple days ago I decided to wear one of Gramp's kydex OC holsters around the house - in case I decide to OC sometime instead of always CC. The gun went into the holster OK. But even with a loose vest on, I kept banging the holster into "things" - like the arm of my office chair and the kitchen table when sitting down or standing up, for example. And I was getting bruises on my arm. Toward the end of the day I decided to take the thing off and put my gun in my Remora as usual.

I was aghast to find that in the process of the banging around with the holster that sort of fit but wasn't made for my G26, the extended mag release had been punched and the mag was coming out of the gun! So Gramps got his holster back and IF I decide to OC it will be with a holster made for this particular gun.......quite possibly a nice leather one.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Well, you learned to hard way but you learned! I have carried $375 guns in $100 holsters and that makes a lot more sense than a $2000 gun in a $20 holster.
    mook012 and gatorbait51 like this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Well, you learned to hard way but you learned! I have carried $375 guns in $100 holsters and that makes a lot more sense than a $2000 gun in a $20 holster.
    Yep ..See that is what I dont get I mean if I see a add for a sdv9 or a hi point etc etc with a uncle mikes etc etc I think cool that's all the guy can afford then I see the guy selling a specked out 226 with all the trimmings and he is throwing in a uncle mikes .. Uh I think if you can blow 1k or more on a handgun you could at least blow 60-80 bucks on a galco or something .. Seems silly to me if this is going to be a carry gun you should put the money into a good rig... If this is just going to be a range piece or you live in NJ or such then yeah I guess you could cheep out but otherwise ..
    gatorbait51 and Phaedrus like this.

Don't feel too bad, it could have been worse. My buddy is LEO and he went to the movies one night with his BUG ( .38 ) in an IWB. He didn't realize that his gun fell out at the movies until later that night after the movie theater closed. The next day he had to wait for the theater to open for it's afternoon matinee and somebody was sitting in the same seat. He politely told the person in the seat that he dropped his wallet. He was lucky the gun was still there. He sure didn't get any sleep that night waiting for the theater to open. LOL---Sturgis
    S&W 64-4 38 cal
    S&W 640 38 cal
    Glock19 9mm
    S&W M&P 45C
    Mossberg 500
    NRA Member

Love my Shield and still looking for the right holster... I don't wear belts often in the winter, mostly leggings haha
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links