How do you feel about shooting and possibly kill someone who use to be so close ...

How do you feel about shooting and possibly kill someone who use to be so close ...

This is a discussion on How do you feel about shooting and possibly kill someone who use to be so close ... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; to you? My ex-bro in law is a cool guy. Family got along well even after the divorce. Just a few days ago, the ex-bro ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree219Likes

Thread: How do you feel about shooting and possibly kill someone who use to be so close ...

to you? My ex-bro in law is a cool guy. Family got along well even after the divorce. Just a few days ago, the ex-bro in law flared up with a temper and tried breaking down my parents' front door for at least 5 mins. Tough door by the way. Apparently it was a dispute between my sister and him about child custody. I live 20 miles away. My dad called the cops and then immediately called me. I told him to grab the 12G 870 and if he managed to kicked down the front door and come in, pump away.

I often visit my parents and i just can't imagine if i was there and he unexpectedly broke the front door and made his way in. Do i shoot or do I not esp knowing you 2 are still cool? Wouldn't want to shoot the guy (he will most likely die), but at the same time, I don't want him to get to my sister too.

I thought about it for a while and i am sure my dad was thinking the same thing too. How do you explain to the kids (they're under 4) that you killed their father many years ago.. BTW, the cops showed up like 10 mins after the ex bro in law left the area and the station is only like 2 miles away. Going to stop by tomorrow to see what the cops did about it..
    gatorbait51 and msgt/ret like this.

pump away
    I think you answered your own question. If your life or families life is at risk, end the threat.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

No one, not even family, has a right to intrude by force. If he's hostile, and threatening, than you do what you have to.
    Save the tears for the funeral.

I had a brother in law that beat my sister. When I got out of the service, and came home, I stopped him for good. Didn't use a firearm, and didn't kill him, but he won't be beating up woman anymore.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    That would be a tough one. That said, dead is dead. Many people are killed by family members out of control. You have to defend you and yours no matter who is playing bad guy.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Yeah, I would hate to shoot someone who is close to me. But if they attacked me or my family, I would do whatever it took to stop the attack. He's the one making the choice whether to live or die when he is trying to break into someone else's home. If you value your life, don't go breaking into someone else's home.

VIP Member
    Once the agression comes out (him being cool) has nothing to do with it . This situation has a very poor outcome if he kicked your parents door down . He would be off my friends list no time flat .

You all need to file charges if he did all the things you have stated . IMO
    gatorbait51, msgt/ret and rtbrown like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

I would try and avoid killing him. I would give a slight amount more leniency that I would a total stranger.

I will tell you one thing for sure, if you killed my dad because of a family argument, which happens, I would have a problem with you later on down the road.

And they'r'e his kids too. Women aren't above reproach in these situations.

Obviously calling the cops was appropriate.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    I would try and avoid killing him. I would give a slight amount more leniency that I would a total stranger.

I will tell you one thing for sure, if you killed my dad because of a family argument, which happens, I would have a problem with you later on down the road.

And they'r'e his kids too. Women aren't above reproach in these situations.

Obviously calling the cops was appropriate.
    Yeah, and if dad hurt mom, they may have a problem down the road for you not doing something. If someone is trying to do me or my family harm, we come first. He's making that choice.
    gatorbait51, revldm, OD* and 2 others like this.

Child custody cases can incite some of the worst incidents of domestic violence. I see it all the time. People who would normally act alright can get down right crazy.

Senior Moderator
    Its a total no win situation.

Even if its a justifiable shoot, you will second guess yourself for years to come and you'll never forget it.

I know a man that had to do just that. He killed his ex son in law and it was totally justifiable. He still regrets it to this day...but at least he is alive to regret it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jmattingly73 View Post
    Yeah, and if dad hurt mom, they may have a problem down the road for you not doing something. If someone is trying to do me or my family harm, we come first. He's making that choice.
    He is family. The op did not get into specifics, but what would you do if someone kidnapped your kids? Maybe he had a reason.

If he is a drunk woman beater, then it is a different story. The op made him seem like a good dude. Grandparents don't have the right to keep the kids away from the father.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Got to protect family even if from family. I once had a son in law beat my daughter. I flew into town he left town he wasn't as dumb as he looked.
    gatorbait51 and Ghost1958 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    He is family. The op did not get into specifics, but what would you do if someone kidnapped your kids? Maybe he had a reason.

If he is a drunk woman beater, then it is a different story. The op made him seem like a good dude. Grandparents don't have the right to keep the kids away from the father.
    They do if the court says so. I have been in that very situation. Not fun. And you are right a father is needed in a childs life, but if the father is a douche, I see no issue....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Domestic situations are always difficult. Everyone has the right to protect themselves and loved ones, even to the point of Deadly Force. The use of Deadly Force should never be taken lightly. Every situation is different and people are different it's difficult to say what the proper action is for each one. The human factor is always the most difficult to judge. The right word to some outraged individual might calm the situation, but with some others nothing you say would matter. If deadly force is necessary, so be it. But the best weapon to use first is your head. IMO.
    gatorbait51, Maynard and rtbrown like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I think you answered your own question. If your life or families life is at risk, end the threat.....
    bingeaux!!!
    Aceoky, oakchas and OD* like this.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links