FL: The texting/shooting movie theater thread

This is a discussion on FL: The texting/shooting movie theater thread within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ugh... Fatal shooting follows fight over texting inside Tampa movie theater 7NEWS - Fatal shooting follows fight over texting inside Tampa movie theater - U.S. ...

Page 1 of 64 123451151 ... LastLast
Like Tree1799Likes

Thread: FL: The texting/shooting movie theater thread

FL: The texting/shooting movie theater thread

Ugh...

Fatal shooting follows fight over texting inside Tampa movie theater

7NEWS - Fatal shooting follows fight over texting inside Tampa movie theater - U.S. & World Story

The victim was on his cellphone, he was texting. We believe he was making some kind of noise. This noise led to an altercation," Nocco said. "During that altercation, the suspect decided to pull out a .380 and he shoots the victim."
    Last edited by SIXTO; January 14th, 2014 at 03:14 PM.
    gatorbait51 and msgt/ret like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    This is so sad and it happened over somebody texting...

Hopefully he did not have a CCL. If he did it just gives the antis more ammo as to why CC should not be allowed.
    gatorbait51 and Jolaroux like this.

The shooter is an idiot who richly deserves jail time, but I completely understand his sentiment. Anybody texting and making phone call while a movie is playing is a grade A douchebag. I don't buy a movie ticket just to hear him yakking on the phone.

Kind of sparse on details. I think this guy is not legal CCW. Can't see any responsible individual not just having theater management throw the guy out. This sounds more like thug bravado.

Nocco said the movie had not yet started when the shooting occurred.

Wow, I get being irritated during the movie, but before it even starts? If your fuse is that short carrying a gun might not be for you...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Maybe a good example of letting theater management do their job.

Im pretty ticked off reading the article, then the responses here. You guys are being played. Just as you were meant to be.

Zero details to form an opinion on. No ages, weight, prior criminal history given. No info on who started what, but even from that article, you know that the shooter requested that the guy stop texting.

The article didnt say something like "when the guy kept texting, the shooter shot him". I think it much more likely that the texter broke bad with the shooter.

Given the lack of details, there is not enough info to draw a conclusion from. HOWEVER, I think it was meant to be that way.

That the article is written in such a way that everyone who reads it agrees that the shooter was "bad"/acted badly.

To me this is just an anti gun article masquerading as news.

Agree nothing to go on and a lot of knee jerks. The guy may have simply asked the idiot to stop and gotten attacked. Need to see if any charges are filed what the deal actually was. We seem to be very ready to throw anyone besides us under the bus with no info.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

That the article is written in such a way that everyone who reads it agrees that the shooter was "bad"/acted badly.
    Could be correct- Hopefully more information will be learned in a few days. If the shooter politely stated to the victim "I hope you don't do that during the movie..." and the victim came unglued and tried beat the shooter's brains out, then my view may change.
    pittypat21 likes this.

A few more details here, but still not enough to know who escalated or attacked who. It does indicate the person that was shot left his seat to go talk to the shooter, so there's at least a possibility it wasn't just a "hey buddy, sorry about that. I'll make sure I stop before the movie starts."

We'll know in a few days I'm sure. This isn't far from where I live and it's getting a lot of coverage locally.

Police: Cell phone argument in movie theater sparks fatal shooting - CNN.com
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

More info...

Retired Fla. cop shoots man dead in texting row during Mark Wahlberg flick 'Lone Survivor'

Retired Tampa police officer, Curtis Reeves, 71, is reportedly in custody after a fatal shooting inside The Grove 16 theater north of Tampa on Monday.
    Retired Fla. cop shoots man dead in texting row during Mark Wahlberg flick 'Lone Survivor': reports - NY Daily News

VIP Member
    Am I supposed to feel better knowing this was a LEOSA holder, not a CCW? Sarcasm off.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Thumbs down This stuff sure doesn't help the cause

One wounded, one killed over texting in movie theater--committed by a retired LEO no less.

Cobb Theaters Grove 16 shooting reported in Wesley Chapel.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

That's crazy.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    One wounded, one killed over texting in movie theater--committed by a retired LEO no less.

Cobb Theaters Grove 16 shooting reported in Wesley Chapel.
    I read the article twice, I'm not sure where you are getting the ex-LEO reference from. Apart from that, the guy who did the shooting is an idiot. The poor victims were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 64 123451151 ... LastLast

Links