Just because you carry a gun doesn't mean you are ready for an encounter

This is a discussion on Just because you carry a gun doesn't mean you are ready for an encounter within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For once, can we get some USEFUL advice? | Stuff From Hsoi I totally agree with this. I have seen too many scenarios where the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Just because you carry a gun doesn't mean you are ready for an encounter

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

For once, can we get some USEFUL advice? | Stuff From Hsoi

I totally agree with this. I have seen too many scenarios where the first action is to draw the gun instead of dealing with the immediate threat and then drawing.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    For once, can we get some USEFUL advice? | Stuff From Hsoi

I totally agree with this. I have seen too many scenarios where the first action is to draw the gun instead of dealing with the immediate threat and then drawing.
    Yes!!!!!!!
    Caertaker and gatorbait51 like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Concur
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Yes, and it takes a lot more practice than most people might think.
    manolito and molleur like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Yep to all

SA is key .. Why I like pocket carry .. If you see trouble/off looking dude/dudted hand goes in the pocket nothing sinister but if he pulls a blade a gun or cocks a fist then hello . Heck if all else fails fire through pocket ..

And yeah OC/CN spray is great esp when at hand ready to go should at least give you time to get off x and go for a piece .. Or run like heck...

I think it is silly to have 9 1 1 pre programed .. Its great but how long will the police take .. If there is park police yeah mabye you get lucky but if kidnap/blitz..

Distinguished Member
    Words of wisdom.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Thankfully, I arrived into the carry permit world with an established self defense repertoire, philosophicaly and physically. I couldn't have considered it any other way.

We need more free - free as in Debian and free as in beer - self defense clinics at ever mall and every town recreational center around the country.
    halem1, Hopyard, molleur and 1 others like this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

I couldn't agree more! If your sidearm isn't already in your hand when the fight starts then it's not a primary weapon. Anyone that trains to only to fight with guns is only training for one part of the problem.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Yes I do agree with this, I have about 20+ years in the martial arts so to go along with my training guns and shooting will come in handy, but I haven't practice the martial arts in a while now but I think that if I had to I can come up with some blows, good video and thanks for posting.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5, Shield 9mm
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

VIP Member
    What? Wait. H2H training? Prepare for an attack? I am not Rambo. I have read the stats 3 yards, 3 rounds, 3 seconds. My 500 S&W that I carry daily, well almost daily, ok sometimes will blow him out of his socks before he can flinch. I will be able to gun my attacker down before he gets close enough to strike me.

Great video and great advice.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Last time we had this conversation I was told that I was being too macho to think that hand to hand skills would be needed and that they wouldn't work if I needed to use them. (Never mind the fact that I have posted here about a situation in which I did use H2H skills.)

If you think the gun is the answer to every problem you're missing a lot of possibilities. I just pray that you never have to find out how often a gun isn't a solution, or a possibility.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Interesting thoughts. I can't say if there is a right or wrong in the video. I do agree with most of it; but.....Yep; there is always a "but"....

As a well trained martial artist, I can probably hold my own better than most. The problem I see for people like myself
    is one of "dynamics." The (attack) initiated by the aggressor will change rapidly in real life and often seem to come out of nowhere as the video clearly shows.

It is well known a trained martial artist can kill another human with greater odds of executing such a counter attack compared to a untrained fighter.

The question of (Dynamics) comes up in asking ourselves (Has the attack or the threat ended?) I've seen time again many in these forums answer the question "when does one stop shooting?"..with the answer usually being "when the threat is no longer a threat."

This presents a difficult decision for someone well trained in H2H.

Sure; I could knock someone down, create distance etc... One could argue the threat is no longer a threat as perhaps I could now run away.
    Or could I?

The BG I just put on his back might now produce a pistol from his pocket. Or he might have a buddy in crime. Now I have (2) threat to deal with.
    Again; the dynamics are many.

It is a dynamic and it IS somewhat of a dilemma for those who are skilled in MA's and even those who may have minimal skills.

The positive of solid H2H? I can stop my attack upon the BG at will, and maybe the BG goes to the hosp.

With the gun, I know of no way to get the bullet back in the gun once the trigger is pulled.

I sincerely hope and pray I NEVER have need to produce my gun other than drawing down on a paper target.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

VIP Member
    from the article: "Do you really think having a cell phone programmed with emergency numbers is going to help you? If the national average police response time is 11 minutes, how is that going to do you any good when you’re being sexually assaulted right now?"

If I had a dollar for every time I read and heard, "I'll just dial 911, duh" when they were attacked, I'd be filthy rich. There is a complete (and probably willful) disconnect in playing out that actual scenario. I ask, "So, the rapist is going to stop tearing away at you so you can dig around in your purse for your cellphone, dial 911, talk to the operator, and wait for the cops to come?" I either get a look or a look like I'm a horrible person for even having such violent thoughts. "Well," one would say, "I won't reduce myself to violence like you and be like my attacker."

Ohhhhkay.

I've known permitholders who decided to carry a gun UNtestED. "But I just bought it, it's awesome." Didn't even take it to the range and function test it, just loaded and holstered it. Others pocket carry so deep in tight pockets they have to force it down in there and have to dig around to get it back out, making it useless in most scenarios.

And not everyone is a ninja or should be expected to be a ninja. Even the biggest, strongest, most physically capable guy shouldn't HAVE to solely rely on his hands for defense - he has every right to use the most effective means to defend himself. But don't be a one-trick pony.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    As to the calling of 911

calling of 911.jpg
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Not every fight is a gun fight. Knowing some basic H2H would be beneficial. If your first response to a threat is to reach for your gun you might want to get some training. Using your head is the best defense. Be alert, Be ready, Be Safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links