After the draw

After the draw

This is a discussion on After the draw within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You are alone and walking back to your car late at night and are confronted by guy demanding money. You step back, he draws a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: After the draw

After the draw

You are alone and walking back to your car late at night and are confronted by guy demanding money. You step back, he draws a knife.
    You tell him to back off and draw your weapon. He turns and runs away like hell. You breathe a sigh of relief and reholster.

do you then:

a. count yourself lucky and go home

or

b. realize someone may have heard the yelling and saw you with a gun in your hand and the guy running away, and may have called 911.
    You call 911 to report the incident and the fact that you drew to protect yourself

I've heard advice for either, and would like to know everyone's opinion, particularly LEO's....

Thanks!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

b. realize someone may have heard the yelling and saw you with a gun in your hand and the guy running away, and may have called 911.
    You call 911 to report the incident and the fact that you drew to protect yourself
    This is the answer. He who calls first gets more of a pass than he who calls last. Perps don't call in their crimes generally. Furthermore, you were the victim of an assault, which should be reported. It was not a successful assault, but an assault nonetheless. You have important information to identify the perp- distinguishing characteristics, clothing, etc. It could help prevent another incident if he's caught and ID'd (in an ideal world).

Additionally, what if the perp did call the police? "A crazy guy with a gun tried to rob me, but I ran away fast and he didn't shoot at me! He was about 5'8', 160 pounds, caucasian, brown hair, shoulder length, with tats and a ring through his nose!" "He looked really scary!"

Welcome to DC!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    If there is a chance 911 is going to be called be there FIRST! Also to protect future victims you should report the where when, how, and a description of the perp including his get away vehicle and in a perfect world license plate number
    stylus and gatorbait51 like this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Another vote for calling. I know some disagree. I even heard one person voice the opinion that were he to be involved in a legitimate defensive shooting and there were no witnesses he would just leave. How many ways could that go south? Sometimes you just shake your head.
    gatorbait51, stylus and molleur like this.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    I'd call 911. Like the guy who responded first, the first person calling 911 gets a bigger pass. The thing is the perp could call 911 and claim that you assaulted him by pulling a gun when he actually pulled the knife on you.
    stylus and gatorbait51 like this.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    You say you have heard advice on both scenarios. Advice--do not listen to anymore advice on firearms and defense from the originator of Door #1--it could eventually get you in legal trouble or worse--get you killed. Hope he does not have anymore advice for you.

BTW: This is not part of my defense strategy but in SC, at night and only at night, if you presume someone is committing a felony and certainly attempting to assault you with a dangerous weapon may fall into that category, (it certainly scares you enough to present a firearm) you can, before he turns tail, proceed to indicate that he better stop right there and he is under a citizens arrest---if he tries to evade the citizens arrest, you can use any means at your disposal, INCLUDING DEATH, to stop his evasion from your order of citizens arrest This means, if he begins to run, you can shoot him. This is only at night with a full presumption of committing a felony and I would think approaching you with a knife is a good presumption of imminent danger and felonious assault with a deadly weapon. Again--this is not for me but case law has backed up such arrests and ensuing injuries: SC Code of Laws/Title 17/Chapter 13/Sections 17-13-10 thru 17-13-30.
    We do not screw around in SC, where our lady Governor showed off her new Beretta that she received for Xmas.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    This is the answer. He who calls first gets more of a pass than he who calls last. Perps don't call in their crimes generally. Furthermore, you were the victim of an assault, which should be reported. It was not a successful assault, but an assault nonetheless. You have important information to identify the perp- distinguishing characteristics, clothing, etc. It could help prevent another incident if he's caught and ID'd (in an ideal world).

Additionally, what if the perp did call the police? "A crazy guy with a gun tried to rob me, but I ran away fast and he didn't shoot at me! He was about 5'8', 160 pounds, caucasian, brown hair, shoulder length, with tats and a ring through his nose!" "He looked really scary!"

Welcome to DC!
    I agree, might save someone else the grief also.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I wonder how many BGs call 911 after a robbery fail. That would be an interesting study.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    I even heard one person voice the opinion that were he to be involved in a legitimate defensive shooting and there were no witnesses he would just leave.
    Of course, you did not read that here at DC. That is a

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I wonder how many BGs call 911 after a robbery fail. That would be an interesting study.
    I doubt the sample size would be large enough to have any statistical validity.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryMB View Post
    You are alone and walking back to your car late at night and are confronted by guy demanding money. You step back, he draws a knife.
    You tell him to back off and draw your weapon. He turns and runs away like hell. You breathe a sigh of relief and reholster.

do you then:

or

I've heard advice for either, and would like to know everyone's opinion, particularly LEO's....

Thanks!
    As to your main question ask here; I'd call 911 if the gun is drawn even if no shots fired.

But I question somewhat your reaction to the situation, while you don't know for sure what's needed without being there in person. Have you thought or do you know how dangerous a knife in hand can be at what looks to be a long distance to someone untrained? If he's inside 21 feet I'd not be asking him to back off with the draw, I'd be shooting him off.

From your post I'm taking it you are fairly new to the carry of guns. Don't think the fact you have a gun and show it will save you from the BG. If you draw be ready to pull the trigger, not saying you have to, but be ready. Don't wait until you have to to ask yourself if you can. Know you can or my thought is don't carry.

That last advice is worth what you paid for it, but it's mine.
    gatorbait51 and molleur like this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Of course, you did not read that here at DC. That is a

I doubt the sample size would be large enough to have any statistical validity.
    That was not advised on DC and I attempted to explain to the individual how wrong this was. Had doubts that he took my advice to heart however.

VIP Member
    Call 911 and report it. The one who calls first is going to be viewed as the victim.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Had something similar happen only it was four young adults, (18-22) blocking me from my car, demanding to “barrow” a dollar. Mind you no weapon was displayed but being that there were four of them, and they were trying to circle me, I felt just as threatened.

I told them they had stopped the wrong person and pulled my pocket carried Kel-Tek 380 out, backed up a couple steps. Yelled at them to back off and leave... As soon as they allowed me to pass, I immediately called 911. Gave the operator, a full description, and waited the 4 minutes for the local city PD to arrive. I then pointed the first responder in the direction, they went. I Waited a few minutes, during which time, I noticed another city PD headed that direction, and since I had already gave my contact information, to the 911 operator, I went ahead and got in my vehicle and left.
    Goldy49 and gatorbait51 like this.

You are alone and walking back to your car late at night and are confronted by guy demanding money. You step back, he draws a knife. You tell him to back off and draw your weapon. He turns and runs away like hell. You breathe a sigh of relief and reholster.

do you then:

or

Non-LE, here.

Myself, I've been trained that the moment it's safe to do so that reporting the presence of a violent felon on the loose is worthwhile.

To my way of thinking, the major benefit is increased likelihood of catching the forcible felon, in the hopes he'll be halted from doing that to someone else ... which he almost certainly will, soon enough, if not caught. I want to ensure I report a good description, the direction he fled, etc. I want the sucker off the streets, and I'm sure everyone in the area would too. Side benefit is that I get on record as claiming "victim" and GG status, instead of naively allowing the BG the opportunity to spout false claims to my detriment.
    molleur likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

do you then:

or

Thanks!
    The threat ended when he saw the weapon. No need to shoot. Call 911 and report it. Giving all the information to 911 can help them to find the guy and hopefully stop him from doing it to someone less prepared....
    molleur and PEF like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links