What if someone feels your gun on accident?

This is a discussion on What if someone feels your gun on accident? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got my CCW and I was wondering what you do when people accidentally feel your gun when they hug you or brush up ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: What if someone feels your gun on accident?

What if someone feels your gun on accident?

I just got my CCW and I was wondering what you do when people accidentally feel your gun when they hug you or brush up on you? If they ask what it is what do you tell them?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    So, is that a gun in your pocket, or you just 'happy' to see me?

I just attended one of my realtive's Gay Wedding in WV (yeah, ironic location, I know) and was told not to carry.

Well, I carried the whole time after landing at Dulles International to going back to Dulles International to leave the east coast.

Had the problem with people (family) hugging and such, and did not want to get burned.

Use your arms and be prepared to make sue that the way you hug them, as you see they are going to hug you, interdicts them putting a hand or body part anywhere near your weapon.

In this case, you have to think faster than the hugger!
    gatorbait51 and Sister like this.

In the age where everyone has a cell phone on his hip, I wouldn't worry about it.
    CIBMike and gatorbait51 like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I don't know. The people that really know me know what they just touched. Those that don't know me never ask.
    gatorbait51, Pinot and Recon1342 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bwaldon4 View Post
    I just got my CCW and I was wondering what you do when people accidentally feel your gun when they hug you or brush up on you? If they ask what it is what do you tell them?
    I just giggle like a school girl and move on.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Yep. "I am VERY happy to see you!!" Actually, this has happened and I have been asked. When asked by a relative if I was carrying I replied "I don't know what you are talking about" and it was let go.

VIP Member
    Well I carry AIWB so if they are hugging me that tight they better be really good looking.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I run away and scream "He was touching me inappropriately!"
    gatorbait51, Pinot, Badey and 5 others like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Scream and say
    "Oh my gosh!!!!! The safety was off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    Brad426 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Stranger danger!! I need an adult!!

Old ladies grab my hip all the time (family, not family, all of them...dunno, just an old lady thing I guess). Not one of them ever seems to even blink over it when they lay a hand on my gun. Either they don't even notice or they assume it's a phone. I used to worry about it, now I don't. Heck, today my wife bumped into my gun as she walked by me and didn't even realize that's what she bumped, and she knows I'm carrying.

I think we all realize that even if people see some printing they don't assume it's a gun. But I've also come to realize that even if people feel it they don't assume it's a gun.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Ya know what, this happened to me not too long ago. My aunt and my grandma both kinda hit/grabbed my gun when the hugged me. Luckily neither of them said anything, they probably thought it was my phone or just something on my belt and didn't think to ask. But ever since then what I always do is just give everyone the one handed side-hug lol. It works pretty well for me. Haven't had that happen to me since, and I've hugged quite a few family members since then. My biggest piece of advice would be to be prepared with something to tell them, it'll be pretty awkward if it happens and they ask and your just standing there silent or accidentally say something stupid.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Mrt
    Just let them know you have a permit
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I'll tell them its a heart rate monitor for a new training regimen I'm doing.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Kentucky Dept of Criminal Justice Training Certified Firearms Instructor in Carrying Concealed Deadly Weapons
    www.MakeReadyDefense.com
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Recruiter

Go in low ... that is, when folks come to hug you be sure to get in close with your strong arm low on that side, so that the other's arm goes up and away.

For accidental bumping of it, as in crowds, there's not much you can do. Ignore it, say it's some sort of electronic device, whatever. Of course, it's not going to feel much like bumping into a cell phone, but most won't appreciate the distinction. Most folks won't think twice, given how much crap people seem to be carrying around these days.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links