Defense options for my Grandpa.

This is a discussion on Defense options for my Grandpa. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got together with my Grandpa this weekend for his 89th birthday. He's a WWII vet that was raised on a farm in eastern KY in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Defense options for my Grandpa.

Defense options for my Grandpa.

Got together with my Grandpa this weekend for his 89th birthday. He's a WWII vet that was raised on a farm in eastern KY in the 30's. Guns for hunting and defense were a way of life for his family. He hasn't owned a gun for years, but since my Grandma passed a couple of years ago and his physical ability's have deteriorated, not to mention the publicized rise in daytime home invasions, he is interested in an effective way to defend himself. He has a dog that flips out anytime he thinks something is moving outside so he has a heads up if someone approaches the house. He really wants a shotgun, but is concerned with his twitchy trigger finger due to Parkinsons. Are there certain guns out there that would have a longer or stiffer trigger than most? What other options should he consider?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Remove Ads

I bet his heart wants a .45 ACP but with his Parkinsons he will likely not be able to handle nor control a 1911. I wish I could help, but right not I'm at a loss for suggestions. Maybe you can have a heavy trigger system installed on an semi-automatic shotgun since he may have trouble with a pump shotgun. Of course you always have the venerable double barrel with heavy trigger(s).

Good Luck to you and God Bless you for looking after you Grandpa. I'm a Grandpa myself so mine are long gone, but I loved each of them so much.

Would a 20 or 28 gauge be suitable for him? A shotgun would eliminate a lot of time for target acquisition. Maybe something in .410. I'm thinking point and shoot. I'm sure any good gunsmith could recommend a proper trigger. Just my 2 cents.
    Ianthin likes this.
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

Smith & Wesson K frame 38 revolver.
    wmhawth and Bigsteve113 like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

I worked with a small woman in her late 70s with severe arthritis who wanted a gun for home-defense. We tried every style of handgun available without success. She ended up getting a youth size .410 pump shotgun.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

A ruger sp101 DAO mode has a very very heavy trigger ( ask me how I know ) and 357 will stop about anthing .. Also the bodygyuard 380 has a heavier pull up there with a DAO wheel gun

They make a home defensive model 410 loading that with critical defensive slug and ball could be good..

My two are get him this if you can find it ber_86_op.jpg

Bretta 86 no hard to rack slide just tip up the barrel to load and I had handled a 84 model and it has no a massive trigger but it not a hair trigger either .. For me this would be a great gun for someone who has limited strength .. Heavy all metal so no kick and easy to load .. This or maybe a auto loading 20 with light recoile load or a 410 .

But frankly maybe what you should do is for his brithday take him to a range and or outdoors shooting spot and see what the man can do .. I think that could be a great bonding time .
    tdave and 40Bob like this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

[QUOTE=Ianthin;3075620]He really wants a shotgun, but is concerned with his twitchy trigger finger due to Parkinsons. /QUOTE]

Actually that might be a good idea for a sign on his door: RESIDENT HAS PARKINSONS, A SHOTGUN AND A REALLY TWITCHY TRIGGER FINGER! If that doesn't keep folks away, I don't know what will!

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    +1 for the 20 or 28 ga.

me thinks a .20 ga "coach gun" could be perfect. he could sit in his recliner and watch the front door with one eye and tv with another. you can shoot, and load, a breaking shotgun from your lap.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedinPA View Post
    Would a 20 or 28 gauge be suitable for him? A shotgun would eliminate a lot of time for target acquisition. Maybe something in .410. I'm thinking point and shoot. I'm sure any good gunsmith could recommend a proper trigger. Just my 2 cents.
    20 Gauge was the first thing that popped in my head. Another reason he wants a shotgun is that the line of fire from his easy chair involves multiple houses. Even though the wall is brick, there is the front door and large picture window to consider. Racking a pump action wouldn't be a problem for him i don't think. Did tell him it may be a good idea two buy two matching guns, one for the bedroom and one to keep next to the easy chair. The same so there is no confusion over operation. I think for simplicity of operation a shotgun or smaller caliber (.38 or light load .357) but large frame revolver would be best.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianthin View Post
    20 Gauge was the first thing that popped in my head. Another reason he wants a shotgun is that the line of fire from his easy chair involves multiple houses. Even though the wall is brick, there is the front door and large picture window to consider. Racking a pump action wouldn't be a problem for him i don't think. Did tell him it may be a good idea two buy two matching guns, one for the bedroom and one to keep next to the easy chair. The same so there is no confusion over operation. I think for simplicity of operation a shotgun or smaller caliber (.38 or light load .357) but large frame revolver would be best.
    This a 20 gauge and a ruger 357 with 38+P or 357 be perfect .. The rugers are great heavy built and a bit heavy trigger esp as I said the dao kind
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    Any S&W K frame, or Ruger DA revolver in .38 or .357 should do him right. No slides or safeties to manipulate, safe, simple manual of arms.
    40Bob likes this.

How about the revolving .410/.45 Colt shot/carbine? Might give him the best of both worlds.

If there is any way possible take him and let him decide. If you have friends with HD shotguns let him try them out. Federal make some reduced velocity low recoil buckshot and hydroshock slugs. He will be far more capable of know what he can handle than anyone on this form. If his hand are weak don't over look a good 22 pistol. Keltec PMR 30 which is a 22 mag with 30 round magazines. Hornday makes Critical Defense in this caliber. Slide is easy to rack and it has a single action trigger. You put 60 rds of 22 mag into some one they ain't going to be a threat. But like I said before let him try and make up his on mind.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A double-barrel hammerless .410/20ga would be my thinking. No "cocking," just load and fire. Except in extreme cases, one pop with a .410 and the thugs will about-face quickly. For the determined ones, there's probably not a lot an 89 year old with his issues can do except make that first shot count.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    A .410 shotgun at across the room distance is a good choice! Recently there are several new Defense rounds out in .410. There wont be anyone asking "Please Sir May I Have Another"! Those that I know with Parkinson's shake mostly while at rest. While on task they seem to be able to control it. Most factory triggers will be heavy enough to keep tremors from setting off a round. If he is comfortable with a pump gun that's a good choice.

Mossberg & Sons | 50358
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links