Got bumped into at the mall today..

This is a discussion on Got bumped into at the mall today.. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From behind by two teenagers busy chatting with each other to realize something was in front of them. Normally I could easily tell if movement ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Got bumped into at the mall today..

Got bumped into at the mall today..

From behind by two teenagers busy chatting with each other to realize something was in front of them. Normally I could easily tell if movement is behind me but since it was in the food court and was loud since the kids in their play area were making noise I couldn't hear them approaching. Mall really was not all that crowded either. They realized they needed to pay attention more and walked off in another direction. (They could have been pickpocketers too.)

I was not carrying (do not have permit yet, gonna take class on the 8th) but it made me realize that you can be surprised from behind even if you try to be aware.

Anything like this happen to you? I never said anything to the kids, just gave them a look and walked toward where I was making my phone upgrade.

How would you normally react if you get bumped into in a not so crowded public area like that?
    gatorbait51 and BenGoodLuck like this.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a job for....... GECKO45!!!
    Badey, niks, gatorbait51 and 10 others like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

VIP Member
    I can't say for sure but we don't have many pick pocketers around here. In areas where they do I would probably not be so nice.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Stare at them, while checking for my wallet, keys and phone. I'm waiting on my FL cwp, I will now be extra cautious when I carry. I'm looking forward to other member's replies to this thread. Generally I wait for the "oh i'm sorry" or a parent saying "apologize and watch where you're going" to their kid.
    NRA Member
    Criminology Student
    Expert in learning :)

If it is an attractive woman, I say, "sorry, I'm happily married" (happens all the time).
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by saigaguy View Post
    Stare at them, while checking for my wallet, keys and phone. I'm waiting on my FL cwp, I will now be extra cautious when I carry. I'm looking forward to other member's replies to this thread. Generally I wait for the "oh i'm sorry" or a parent saying "apologize and watch where you're going" to their kid.
    Thats exactly what I did, felt for everything. Wallet, keys and gloves still accounted for. I carry all my stuff to my front, this time I had them in my jacket pockets and my gloves were blocking my wallet and I realized that they could have snuck in a quick hand to take something without me feeling any extra beyond normal movement to my unzipped jacket. These kids looked like their parents were not in sight. Kinda typical for the malls these days.

VIP Member
    I generally avoid most malls....
    gatorbait51, mook012 and WHEC724 like this.

Good thing it wasn't a knockout game set up. when I am at the mall I do what is called a crazy Ivan, turn around occasionally

Quote Originally Posted by the6shooter View Post
    when I am at the mall I do what is called a crazy Ivan, turn around occasionally
    Are you a leaf on the wind?
    gatorbait51, Wickked and Phaedrus like this.

Two things I would never do. Mall, food court
    gatorbait51, Oldpsufan and Mrt like this.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    ...i was going into the gym one day and there was an older gentlemen walkng in, carrying a breifcase. i opened the first set of double doors and held them for him, he steppe dthourgh and a maybe 9 yr old boy comes tearing through, and knocks the briefcase on the ground, papers go scattering. the old man says "you should watch where you're going little buddy". i swear to god, the father of this little boy goes, "don't you tell me son what to do" and walks ACCROSS the olds mans papers, and out the door i was still holding. i gave that guy the nastiest look i could muster. he goes "you got a problem too?" i said, "no, everything is peachy" and turned so i was facing the guy, backed up looking him right on the eye the whole time, and kneeled down to help the old guy pick up his papers.

some people are just trash, and they breed trash. don't expect apologies, or rational thought, or anything.
    Badey, caddisman, tdave and 15 others like this.

I usually say to avoid confrontation, even when you are in the right. However, I think you did exactly the right thing here. I got mad just reading about it.

If someone bumps into to me, I do a subtle, non-offensive body check for my belongings while in the presence of the bumper [so as to have proximity to them if something is missing i.e. pickpocket] and ask "are you ok?". I also do that to indicate to them that 1. they may not be paying attention or 2. they should have the manners to apologize for walking into me.

Some peoples kids shouldn't have been.

If they are under five, shoot 'em. Seriously, you did fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links