Stranger Danger in my driveway

This is a discussion on Stranger Danger in my driveway within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been reading this forum for awhile but finally registered today so I could share the incident below. Had an interesting thing happen today. ...

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree788Likes

Thread: Stranger Danger in my driveway

I have been reading this forum for awhile but finally registered today so I could share the incident below.

Had an interesting thing happen today. I was in my front yard with my young daughter my son was playing basketball in the driveway. We live in a small semi-rural area, so I know which cars are from the neighborhood an which aren't. Well a car I don't know comes around the corner and pulls into my driveway. At this point I pickup my daughter and start walking towards the driveway. There are two guys in their sixties that get out of the car. I am still no overly alarmed but hand is on the grip of my XDs. I call out them and say "how can I help you?".

This is where it gets weird they immediately start trying to talk to my son instead of me and are walking toward him. At this point I draw tell them to not take another step admittedly using language not suitable for the forum. They stop. I call my son to me. He runs over to me I have him take his sister inside.

I told them it was time to leave. They kept saying something about being from some church. I had to tell them four or five times to leave. It wasn't until I pulled out my phone that they left. The sheriffs deputy that came out said he thought they were from a local church that does go door to door. He took the description and is going to check with the church and let me know.

A few observations I had we're one practicing my draw has help because if I had to think about it the time to clear leather may have been too long. I was also amazed at how slow things seemed. In what w actually just a few seconds I debated send the kids in or to the neighbors, where should I be, which one do I keep in my sights, at what point do I pull the trigger. My mind was racing for sure.

I guess it just shows why carrying at home makes sense. I will update when I hear back from the Sheriffs dept.

That is very weird ..

Where there hands in plain sight the whole time or in there pockets or ?

All that is very odd . It too me seems odd a 60 year old man would try to snatch a kid in daylight in front of a witness ..

Very odd ..
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member
    Those two gentlemen may have been closer to God than they realized. Poor judgement on their part. When you drew your weapon did you actually point it at them? That would seem to me overreacting. No threatening actions from them. Glad it turned out OK, but you could have been in trouble with the law if they had filed complaints.
    Last edited by oldnfat; January 20th, 2014 at 05:30 PM. Reason: additional content
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Carrying at home is a very good thing to do. Personally I keep my LCR on me at all times.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I think you pulled your gun too soon. It's not the answer to all uncomfortable situations, even on your own property.

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    I hope you don't get cited for brandishing.

You drew your gun and they left when you pulled out your phone????
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    You drew down on two old guys ministering for their church?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    Those two gentlemen may have been closer to God than they realized. Poor judgement on their part. Ya done good. When you drew your weapon did you actually point it at them?
    At first I pointed it in between them but when they started toward my son I aimed at the one on the driver side.
    gatorbait51 and Jtrams like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldpsufan View Post
    I hope you don't get cited for brandishing.
    I don't.
    Hopyard and saigaguy like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I drew down on two old guys that were ignoring me and going toward my elementary aged son.

Guy you are young enough to have little kids. Yet a couple of sixty something guys send you into gun mode instead of step between them and the kid mode?

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionchief View Post
    I think you pulled your gun too soon. It's not the answer to all uncomfortable situations, even on your own property.
    I get that. If the kids weren't there or they would have acknowledged me it would have stayed holstered.

Quote Originally Posted by NCGator View Post
    I drew down on two old guys that were ignoring me and going toward my elementary aged son.
    How far from the old guys were you? I am just trying to figure out why two old guys would bug out when you pulled your phone out, but as you described you drew down, pointing your weapon at them yelling commands and they just ignored you. Is that correct, or am I mis understanding you....
    WrongRecroom and gatorbait51 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    At what point do you pull the trigger?

NC law is very clear on that, you can only use deadly force to prevent an assault where physical injury, or death is a possibility or sexual assault. Clearly trying to snatch a kid would be justified, but I suspect that they were over zealous bible thumpers that wanted to recruiter your kids, which is totally out of bounds, in your presence or otherwise. Also keep in mind there are 60 year old pedophiles, and religion is often used as a cloak to disguise the true intent for many the sicko's out there.

Did you get a tag number?

What ever their intent, no matter how honorable for them to talk to any child in their own yard is totally not acceptable, and especially doing so in your presence.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing." - Adolf Hitler

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links