Burglary a mile from my house (Indiana)

This is a discussion on Burglary a mile from my house (Indiana) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I spoke with a friend last night and he informed me that the house across the street from him was broken into Monday in broad ...

I spoke with a friend last night and he informed me that the house across the street from him was broken into Monday in broad daylight. I live in a rural area and he lives about 1/2 mile away from me.

He noticed a light-blue late 80's Honda Accord with heavily tinted windows in the neighbor's driveway. The house is for sale (but occupied) and he thought that the car belonged to the Real Estate Agent. The neighbor was not home at the time and my friend went to let the REA know this.

It turns out that a burglary was in progress. The back door had been kicked in. One man was sitting in the car and another was coming out of the house. This friend of mine was not armed (he does not even own a firearm) but he confronted the burglars anyway. They drove off stating that they did not take anything. There were some things piled near the front door that they had planned to take but did not since they were interrupted.

He got a good description of the two men, the car, including license plate number. Nothing matched with the police and the men are still at large.

He did not call the police until after the BGs drove away.

There are thousands of things wrong with my friend's actions and he needlessly put himself at great personal risk. He and I discussed quite a few of them last night and he will be shopping for a shiny new handgun effective immediately.

Now I have posted this in the Tactial Scenarios but I'm quite sure that we can all see ways that we would have handled this better.

I post this more from the position of passing on a real situation that seemed innocent to my friend (although his bells should have been going off - what REA would drive a 20 year old car with dark tinted windows?) than any great need to pick apart his actions.

Be careful out there and know what you're getting into.

Anyone Southwest of Indianapolis that would like to have more details about the suspects please let me know.

Sorry so long and rambly.

Ron
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

VIP Member
    I'm very glad your friend is okay...he is indeed a very lucky man (and after your discussion with him, probably less naive now too ).

Stay Armed...

Get a plate number...call 911...

Also, that probably won't be the last break in for your friend's neighborhood...stay alert!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Pshyeah, now that the burglars know that they'll be confronted by unarmed resistance!

Glad your friend was not hurt, but yeah, that was a pretty dumb risk. These days, who wants to gamble that a criminal is not armed, especially when there's more than one of them?!

I'm afraid that these guys may have just been emboldened, since your friend showed up without any visible means of actually stopping them. Your friend needs that gun; he already has the spirit of fighting, it seems. Just be sure that he doesn't get a gun and then pretend it's a magic shield that he doesn't need to learn to use, and practice with, the way some people who have a scare do.

The funny thing is, I live in the back hills of Indiana where you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a hunter/gun owner.

It's possible that the BGs either aren't from around here (the plates are local), are more stupid than normal, or this was a personal job. Either way I'm as alert as ever and keeping my eyes open.

This friend has owned guns before but his wife convinced him to get rid of them when they had kids. After this near-miss she has changed her mind.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

He was lucky. I'm glad he sees the light and is arming himself. Now get him to take a good carry class that stresses situational awareness and avoidance techniques.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I'm glad that both of them -- your friend and his formerly anti- wife -- are willing to think reasonably and rationally about this, and understand the need to be prepared (with guns) to be able to defend themselves.

Not everyone, you know, has such an experience and refuses to play the denial game, "Oh, I still don't need to have one of those evil guns around!" I suspect a lot of people just do the pollyanna thing and force themselves to think that for some reason, they won't be victimized no matter when or where. "I haven't been harmed yet; therefore I won't ever be. I live in a good neighborhood. Crime doesn't happen to people like me/us." Every household without a gun is essentially that.

Just another I hope this guy knows how lucky he is. I hope you have now educated him Glad he was ok and the BG's didn't get anything.
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

Links