after the threat is gone

after the threat is gone

This is a discussion on after the threat is gone within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; so this is a scenario that has been running through my mind lately. i know this section has some crazy things in it and they ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: after the threat is gone

after the threat is gone

so this is a scenario that has been running through my mind lately. i know this section has some crazy things in it and they depend on a lot of factors but i wanted to share. i did a quick search but couldn't find anything so here goes...

you and your family are at walmart (cause everyone loves walmart) standing in the check out line when a man pulls a gun only ten feet from you and proceeds to open fire. you have your carry weapon on you, draw and fire. threat stopped.

now with all your adrenaline pumping, weapon still out and senses on high alert you scan the area and see a man in regular clothes holding a revolver in a somewhat ready stance and looking at what just happened.

what do you do?

now i asked this question because i have seen a huge number of new concealed carry licenses in my state, which is a great thing IMHO. but with all the people carrying what happens if there are two or more good, law abiding citizens that happen to see and try to take the threat out at the same time. how would you know that each other are "good guys" with a gun or "bad guys" with a gun. just something to think about.

Make sure you're wearing your sash.

Good question. Interested in responses myself.
    bamashooter and squid86 like this.
    Owner/Instructor of Make Ready Defensive Training
    Kentucky Dept of Criminal Justice Training Certified Firearms Instructor in Carrying Concealed Deadly Weapons
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    www.MakeReadyDefense.com

Not everyone loves Walmart, Holster your firearm and get the hell out of there!
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    There is nothing better than getting shot at and missed. It's really great. Gen. James Mattis USMC

Take charge of the situation. Ask out loud who all "did HE hurt". And, don't look and dress like a scumbag, people base their impressions on appearances. Those would be my recommendations.
    Kavalander and WrongRecroom like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGramps View Post
    Not everyone loves Walmart, Holster your firearm and get the hell out of there!
    That's my idea, before the other guy sees me & thinks I'm the shooter. I'd holster my sidearm FAST, but it would be illegal to just leave your homicide scene.
    Not that outside isn't a good idea....... you'd be on 6 diff cameras.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Odds are if the other guy at low ready was in on it he would either be firing at you or high tailing it out the door. Personally, if hes another lawful carrier having seen you dispatch the threat he bears watching until LE gets there but going guns hot on him unless he begins to bring his gun to bear on you would'nt be smart.

Likely seeing what he has just seen he knows your the GG and would be putting his own firearm away once hes sure any other threats are gone. I wouldnt re holster regardless of what he did though until LE was getting there.

Read he OPs post a tiny it more closely at the last part.

The BGs to become a threat have acted pretty much identifying for the most part who the threat is. Everyone else is reacting to that threat. BGs acting first and laying on the floor stopped should give a decent indication to most in the immidiate area who the threat or threats was. Or are.

It could get a big dicey but unless there is someone just itching to pull a trigger most CCs can tell the difference between low ready defensive and perpetrators in the act of armed robbery. Pretty much if they are aiming or firing at the BG/s they likely arent with the BG/s.

Of course there is always that one loose cannon to worry about. Taking charge and asking if anyone is hurt etc call LE should let about anybody know you arent with the BG though. Or should
    Kavalander likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    I'd nod to the guy holding the gun and say "Beat ya on the draw, Slowpoke!"
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    Put your gun in the holster, your hands in the air, and know that the police are going to be there very shortly.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I'd nod to the guy holding the gun and say "Beat ya on the draw, Slowpoke!"
    haha good post. if only life was that simple.

what if your the non shooter good guy?

Quote Originally Posted by wellpoison View Post
    now with all your adrenaline pumping, weapon still out and senses on high alert you scan the area and see a man in regular clothes holding a revolver in a somewhat ready stance and looking at what just happened.

what do you do?
    Tell someone to call the police, then Google search "criminal defense lawyers in <my area>", and make a call. I would probable send a text to my father letting him know I'm about to be taken into custody and please come down to the station.

Mikes idea is not a bad one at all. Im just a tad more paranoid in that the other guy at low ready in the OPs post though no likely, could be a BG who froze or was smarter than the average and played possum instead of getting shot. I dont think I could bring myself to reholster and hands up with another I dont know 100 percent innocent person or not is standing at low ready with a gun in their hand. Im fairly fast so if he re holstered I probably would but not as long as someone else has a gun in their hand until LE is getting there.

Not saying Mikes idea is the wrong one. I just personally dont think I would go that route myself. Like everything else in these scenario things one doesnt really know or sure unless they are actually in that situation though/
    Mike1956 and robhic like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by wellpoison View Post
    what if your the non shooter good guy?
    Holster my weapon and gather my thoughts for my witness statement, which my lawyer will submit to the police within 72 hours.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    This is a very real scenario. One of the many risks you take when you commit to carrying concealed. Along with BG with guns there are other GGs with guns. After you stop a threat and confirm there isn't any other threats put your gun away. Only keep it out as long as needed to reduce the risk of you being targeted as a BG with a gun.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Mikes idea is not a bad one at all. Im just a tad more paranoid in that the other guy at low ready in the OPs post though no likely, could be a BG who froze or was smarter than the average and played possum instead of getting shot. I dont think I could bring myself to reholster and hands up with another I dont know 100 percent innocent person or not is standing at low ready with a gun in their hand. Im fairly fast so if he re holstered I probably would but not as long as someone else has a gun in their hand until LE is getting there.

Not saying Mikes idea is the wrong one. I just personally dont think I would go that route myself. Like everything else in these scenario things one doesnt really know or sure unless they are actually in that situation though/
    It is a tough call for sure, with lots to process very quickly. Given the lack of shooting and decisiveness from gun guy number two, he probably isn't with mass shooter number one. I know for certain I don't want gun in hand when the authorities arrive.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    First thing will be to identify myself as the GG by announcing in a voice loud enough to be heard by all around for someone to call the police and medical personal. My gun will be at low ready, but I will not holster it. The BG may be down, but you have no way of knowing he's out of the fight completely. He could be injured but still have fight left in him. If I can do so safely I will use my cell phone to call 911 also. When the police arrive I will place my gun on the nearest counter and step back while raising my hands.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links