I LEGALLY could have killed him but I didn't

This is a discussion on I LEGALLY could have killed him but I didn't within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was driving yesterday and came to a light in heave traffic, 86 street in Indy at Ditch road. Light turns green and the guy ...

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree607Likes

Thread: I LEGALLY could have killed him but I didn't

Ex Member

I was driving yesterday and came to a light in heave traffic, 86 street in Indy at Ditch road. Light turns green and the guy in front of me just sits there. I wait 3-4 seconds then hit my horn once. Guy puts it in park and starts to walk back to me. I see something in his hand, not big enough for a gun so I figured a blade. I didn't want him trashing my car so I get out. He gets 3-5 feet away and lunges with what turned out to be a box cutter. He was trying for my neck but I jerked back, so he caught the side of my face, and pulled my S&W 9MM J frame 940 from my front pocket. I moved to him and had the gun inches from his face. I explained his anti social behavior was unacceptable and if it continued I would put so much lead in him he could use a appendage for a pencil ( site rules prohibit me from reporting the actual conversation.)

When he saw the gun he FROZE. There was a LEO across the street at the gas station who saw the whole thing. He hit his lights and rushed over. He drew his tupperware 40 and told the guy to drop the cutter and put his hands up. He told me to put the gun on the top of my car and step away. He cuffed the guy and called a ambulance for me. He called in the numbers on my gun and checked my carry permits, I have a few from different states.

I didn't want the ambulance ride, to pick up my car I would have to take a cab down town, $25-$35 plus pay impound fees, $100-$150. Hospital was less than 1 mile away so the EMT gave me a compression bandage and I drove to the ER where I got 35 sutures and gave a statement to the LEO that followed me there. They are going to charge him, early 20's guy, with felony assault, assault with deadly weapon and maybe attempted murder.

11:00 a.m. you just never know. I do now however if I wasn't carrying I would probably be dead today.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Glad you're safe. I can't say that I wouldn't have shot him.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Wow! Thankfully you're here to type about it.
    Kavalander, nedrgr21 and srings like this.

VIP Member
    WOW , I am glad you are still here , i do not know how you feel but i hope you overcome this the best you can . I hope the guy gets the book thrown at him .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

86th & Ditch, that whole NW corner, all along Michigan Rd.......we could flush the whole damn area and not lose a thing. I am old-enough to remember when it was a thriving part of town.

ETA: One of the many reasons a citizen might carry a gun is to prevent something like this from happening to them. If you let him get close-enough to do this, you failed to protect yourself.
    oldnfat, cjkent, BkCo1 and 3 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    First off I was not there so I do not know the situation as you saw it. But my first thought was why did you get out of the car and not just drive off leaving him standing there.

If there was no way to drive off then I'd most likely have put him on the ground, with many holes. I think you are lucky. He set the rules getting out and coming to you with a weapon in hand. Be ready at all times.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I think you showed greater restraint than many. Now you won't have to deal with the "what ifs."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

First, glad you are safe!

I have a few questions:

1. Did you experience any time distortion or auditory exclusion?

2. Did you notice any effects of adrenaline?

3. When did you notice the officer?

4. If you had it to do all over again, would you still have gotten out of your car?
    Hopyard, VNvet, Eric357 and 1 others like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Nice work 1 old 0311!
    molleur likes this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    First off I was not there so I do not know the situation as you saw it. But my first thought was why did you get out of the car and not just drive off leaving him standing there.

If there was no way to drive off then I'd most likely have put him on the ground, with many holes. I think you are lucky. He set the rules getting out and coming to you with a weapon in hand. Be ready at all times.

I was stuck in traffic and had NO place to go.

If he had a gun I wouldn't have blinked about doping him but with a blade I felt like I could take him out if he moved again.

If you ever read much by Mass Ayob AVOID shooting unless all else fails. As it stands now I just have to appear in court as the victim IF I shot him there is a possibility I would be charged with excessive force PLUS end up getting sued by the punks family. Both would bankrupt me.
    Badey, RickyD, welder516 and 11 others like this.

Wow! All that because you honked your horn at the guy huh? Sounds like he's got some serious anger issues.

I think you did good, aside from maybe getting out of the car in the first place. You pulled your gun and he froze, which is what you want in that situation. Really no need to pull the trigger and potentially end someone's life at that point. At least IMO. I'm sure some will say he deserved it. And maybe he did. But actually taking a life can sometimes haunt a person forever, regardless of how justified. Then there's the potential legal/financial issues you mentioned.

Sometimes it's best to let the law and/or god dole out the punishments and repercussions.

Glad you are ok! I think you did a pretty good job from the facts mentioned. However one thing you could have done better was possibly had a grip on your firearm as you saw he had something in his hand and it wasn't a gun, he might have got the hint. If he got close enough you could have drew before you got lunged at. Like you mentioned, best to not shoot someone unless it's absolutely necessary and a last resort not to mention, also to avoid all the legal stuff that comes with it. You know your PROBABLY not going to die if the suspect has something in his hand small enough to where you can't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan84 View Post
    Wow! All that because you honked your horn at the guy huh? Sounds like he's got some serious anger issues.

I think you did good, aside from maybe getting out of the car in the first place. You pulled your gun and he froze, which is what you want in that situation. Really no need to pull the trigger and potentially end someone's life at that point. At least IMO. I'm sure some will say he deserved it. And maybe he did. But actually taking a life can sometimes haunt a person forever, regardless of how justified. Then there's the potential legal/financial issues you mentioned.

Sometimes it's best to let the law and/or god dole out the punishments and repercussions.
    I agree with this as well, well said.
    Old Sarge likes this.

VIP Member
    It looks like he got a pretty good bite, and I am very glad he didn't get the whole sandwich. I have a few questions for you, but would like to wait another day to ask them.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    guess i am a tad negative today...

who thinks this fine gentlemen will come out of his upcoming prison stint rehabilitated?

me thinks he will just be that much more dangerous when he gets done with his "nickel".

next time he will pull his back alley .38 and shoot the next guy that honks at him, since he just learned not to bring a knife to a gun fight.

not that i am advocating shooting the guy, and i am glad your situation turned out the way it did, but this guy is a homocide waiting to happen. i believe in the criminal justice system and innocent until proven guilty, but stuff like this makes it hard to not want to revert to the Code of Hammurabi.

yikes.
    ccw9mm, molleur, tdave and 4 others like this.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Links