I almost drew my weapon today

This is a discussion on I almost drew my weapon today within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ran to the gas station earlier today to pick up ice and a some beverages for the game tomorrow and as I was walking to ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree338Likes

Thread: I almost drew my weapon today

I almost drew my weapon today

Ran to the gas station earlier today to pick up ice and a some beverages for the game tomorrow and as I was walking to the register a frumpy looking woman walks in jumps in front of me plops her giant purse on the counter and asks for $20 gas on pump #8. She hands the cashier a card and the cashier responds that they do not accept EBT for gas. She responds that she used to work across town for this same chain of gas stations and that he needed to do XY&Z on his register for it to work. The cashier responds that he was told not to do XY&Z by his boss and asks for another form of payment. The woman blows up and proceeds to call him every name in the book, threatens to have him fired etc and then calms down and plays nice begging him to do it, which he again declines.

By this point I had already backed up a few more steps from the 2 steps behind her I had been almost bumping into a woman who I hadn't notice get in line behind me during the tirade of insults by the other woman (yeah, I know I need to work on the SA for that). After a few more attempts to convince the cashier to do as she asks she pulls a kitchen knife out of super purse and begins waving it around threatening to cut the cashier if he doesn't comply.

At this point I drop the items in my hand and yank up the tail of my shirt and grip my weapon without unholstering waiting for the woman's next move. The woman in line behind me sees I'm armed and loudly says "if your a cop you need to do something". The first woman whips around and asks me if I'm a cop which I give her a nod no. At this point I tell the cashier to go ahead and do as she asks before someone gets hurt and that I would be his witness to his boss that he had no other choice. The cashier went ahead and ran the EBT card for gas and the woman drops the knife in mega purse and heads out to pump her gas and the cashier calls 911.

The cops arrive before the woman finishes pumping her gas and she gets cuffed and stuffed while the rest of us who were in the store give statements. The cops asked if I had a carry permit after the other woman told them she saw me about to draw my gun but they never asked to see it. One cop seemed to act like I did the right thing but the other seemed to think the situation hadn't escalated to a point where I should have even thought about drawing.

All in all I think I reacted appropriately and in hindsight the only thing I would have done different is not give all my attention to the early situation and not notice the other woman getting in line behind me.
    darbo, Mr_23, BenGoodLuck and 6 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You had several options available to you, and the one you exercised worked out for everybody. I'm not sure what cop #2 was thinking, but since everyone has an opinion, I wouldn't give much nevermind to his.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

IMO, you did the right thing and deescalated a situation that could have gotten a lot worst. In hindsight, and a lesson you've just taught me and everyone who reads this, is if she was with another person who could have come up behind you so you always need to be aware of your surroundings.
    Glad everything turned put good.
    bigpapa, OlCop, NONAME762 and 1 others like this.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

Distinguished Member
    angry person with a weapon, knife or gun has it in hand within 21 feet, yeah weapon should be out. No question. Cop is an untrained idiot. If he wants to face perps like that with his gun in his holster he is not long for the job, not if he works at something other than parking meters.
    I read an excellent article in AR 15 magazine about when to put hand on weapon, when to draw and when to shoot. If the other party already has gun in hand, you are late to the party.

At any rate distance is your friend and you correctly evaluated the need to shoot or not shoot (not in this case). Good work. Consider sending the chief of police a note about distance and reaction times because his officer clearly doesn't have a clue.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

The unbreakable rule is "If someone has a weapon in their hand, you should too." She had a knife, you had a gun. You win. 16 or 60, blind deaf and dumb, crazy or sane, if you pull a weapon on me I will shoot you. I would have drawn, but that is me. You went with what you thought was best, and it worked for you. Glad no one got hurt..... but what would you have done if she attacked you or someone else before you had time to draw? A kitchen knife is no joking matter and can kill as quickly as a bullet.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Good to go in my book.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

She had a wepaon and was wihting striking range of you or a bystander so I would say hand on steel was a good move imop..

Boy some people be crazy ..

Also that must have been a large purse ...

As a side note this is why I like pocket carry ... No one relzied you have hand on iron till it comes time...
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    You did the right thing in my opinion. The only thing different would have been I would have drawn my weapon. And as far as that cop goes, he's a moron. He probably has a complex about "civies" having a weapon.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

VIP Member
    My kitchen knives are extremely sharp, and most have blades longer than my EDC knife. They can also slice through meat without much effort. I assume all knives are this way.

To the facts at hand:

Knife wielding lady of questionable mind, deescalation, arrest and nobody harmed. Enjoy the beverages during the game tomorrow.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

You did well Doug, you didnt panic. work on your SA.

Glad everything turned out well. Amazing mindset threaten someone with a knife so you can pay by EBT. They say it takes all kinds but are you sure we couldn't do without that kind?
    ep1953, SilvaMan61 and NONAME762 like this.

OP IMO you did fine. IMO there were a lot of options to explore, but overall the threat was stopped and know one got hurt....
    molleur likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by dougroch View Post
    ......but the other seemed to think the situation hadn't escalated to a point where I should have even thought about drawing..
    I agree 100% with the 2nd cop. You were not being threatened and the woman was not in a position to injure the clerk. You had no business at that point inserting yourself into a situation that did not involve you. My recommendation is for you to seek training to learn when and when not to become involved. In this incident, as you have described it, you erred.

You kept your cool and deescalated the situation. 2nd cop was wrong
    oldnfat, ep1953, bigpapa and 1 others like this.
    Owner/Instructor of Make Ready Defensive Training
    Kentucky Dept of Criminal Justice Training Certified Firearms Instructor in Carrying Concealed Deadly Weapons
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    www.MakeReadyDefense.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Longstreet View Post
    I agree 100% with the 2nd cop. You were not being threatened and the woman was not in a position to injure the clerk. You had no business at that point inserting yourself into a situation that did not involve you. My recommendation is for you to seek training to learn when and when not to become involved. In this incident, as you have described it, you erred.
    I have had the training you are recommending, and I probably would have gotten off the X and drawn. Go figure.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links