why I carry.

why I carry.

This is a discussion on why I carry. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry folks, another long one from me... for some reason the post about the woman waving a knife around in the gas station made me ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: why I carry.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar

why I carry.

Sorry folks, another long one from me...

for some reason the post about the woman waving a knife around in the gas station made me decide to post this.

I grew up in the mountains shooting guns, lots of hunting, blood and guts. i also grew up doing martial arts, into competitive MMA. i have no LE/MIL training.

i never really had a desire to carry a gun through my younger years. i'm not rich, or a hot woman, i don't live in a bad part of town. i figured i could handle anything but a gun. and why would someone point a gun at me other than a robbery and they can have my money.

well, at about age 24 i got into a lot of knife training in the more advanced Krav Maga stuff, and realized how truly scary a knife is.

and then...

i am 26, married to my first wife. we met in fight class. she was trying to become a Colo State Patrol Narcotics Officer. she also grew up shooting and fighting. tough chick.

we go to a local college town, college bar, it's holloween. it's her turn to drink, i am DD. BIG bar, 3 levels. on the top floor we are standing at the bar, talking to friends, when she yelps, jumps, turns... and punches the guy sqaure in the nose who just grabbed her butt. nose pops like a zit, blood, screams, he hits the ground. we laugh. you mess with her, your problem. he staggers off. we go downstairs.

end of night. go outside, walk to back parking lot. just her and i. she's pretty drunk. 3 guys following us. one of em is dude, changed his bloody shirt, but you can see his swollen bruised, maybe broken nose. i don't notice them until we are pretty close to car. tell her to run to car. they catch up at the trunk. bloody nose goes for her, two buddies for me. i am thinking this is bad. i am not playing with these guys. but i am between the rear fender of my car, and the bed of a truck. first dude closes on me in the gap. can't see my wife. i lunge forward, grab his testes, twist and squeeze, but also realizing it's probably not a good idea to tear them off, but i head butt the bridge of his nose. he drops. second guy behind him slashes at me with a knife. i hastily "block" it, and get a nasty cut on my right fore-arm. still have the scar.

i stumble back, but am relieved by the fact he has to try to get accorss his buddy still clutching his face and groin in a heap between us. right as i am trying to figure my next move he gets his fooring and lunges, again with the knife. this time i get lucky, angles are just right, and i execute the fastest, meanest, "figure four" or "key" lock on his kinfe arm i ever have. i bend him down and have total control. but he still has the knife in his hand, and it gives me just enough time to hear sreams and shouts from my wife's side of the car. so i take risk and lose the key lock to strip the knife out of his hand. i give him as hard of a knee to the chest i can execute, and unsure of myself, hurl the knife away, and run to the other side of the car.

to witness my drunken wife mounted on top of this guy, beating him to tar. i mean, literally, we didn't stop to examine the guy, but i think she broke his orbital. he's a mess.

so i grab her and finally shove her into the car, giving her the keys and telling her get it started and buckle in.

i run back around to my side, and both gentlemen are on their feet again. yay. the guy who had the knife rushes out again, but now we are out in the open. and mr sore crotch stumbles out after. knife slasher tries to tackle me, i side step, grab his jacket, and swing him, he goes flying and lands in the dirt (gravel lot) quite a was off. i rush sore crotch and stomp kick him now, and he falls down. far enough from the car i run to the car, get in, lock it, and tear buttocks out of there.

that night i learned a few things. you never know when something will go from bad to worse. and you never know when craziness will come out or nowhere. i learned i needed to be smarter and pay attention more. i learned i should consider arming myself, fighting skills are good, but not enough.

that was the nastiest encounter i've ever been in. and i've spent a lot of time thinking about itin the subsequent 7 years. i have picked it apart and know i did about a thousand things wrong.

totally random for me to share this today, not sure i why i thought of it like it did.

FYI- my ex said she remembered hip tossing him, but he landed sloppily against the side of the car, and then he grabbed her, that's when she went full mount and started punching. so she was raining down on this guy the whole time i was scrapping with his "pals". bet he doesn't mess with a pretty red-head again. judging by how torn up her hands were, i think she really hurt that guy.

Wow. You all did great. I'm sure the guy who grabbed her buttock would forever be the butt of his buddies' jokes (pun intended). Not only he got smacked by a girl, he got decked too the second time around.
    Kavalander and gatorbait51 like this.
    Ars longa vita brevis
    http://goo.gl/YN2P0h

Damn what sick people. Glad they got their asses kicked.
    NRA Member
    Criminology Student
    Expert in learning :)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Ouch!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You are NOT sorry for "another long one from me".
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Kavalander, I am glad everything worked out. Like you said, there were mistakes made. IMO you need to learn how to finish. Do not take that the wrong way. If they go down, make sure they CANT get back up.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Kavalander, I am glad everything worked out. Like you said, there were mistakes made. IMO you need to learn how to finish. Do not take that the wrong way. If they go down, make sure they CANT get back up.....
    that's been one contention for me for a long time. if i had to go thru it again, should i have spent more time ensuring my two assailants were more thoroughly out of the fight before going to my wifes side? in hindsight, knowing how bad she owned that guy, sure. but when the second guy had a knife, all i thought was bloody nose could've had a knife too, and she was stumbling drunk. all i could think about was getting to her.

i've never came to a conclusive answer, what do you think? (other than have a gun next time...)
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavalander View Post
    that's been one contention for me for a long time. if i had to go thru it again, should i have spent more time ensuring my two assailants were more thoroughly out of the fight before going to my wifes side? in hindsight, knowing how bad she owned that guy, sure. but when the second guy had a knife, all i thought was bloody nose could've had a knife too, and she was stumbling drunk. all i could think about was getting to her.

i've never came to a conclusive answer, what do you think? (other than have a gun next time...)
    Not more time, just better strikes. Headbutt, throat chop, kick to the groin. After those three strikes, they cant see, cant breath and are for the most part out of the fight. IMO its not a matter of time, just a matter of finishing what they have started....The knife carrier would have gotten a bit more. He would not of just walked away....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Sorry folks, another long one from me...

for some reason the post about the woman waving a knife around in the gas station made me decide to post this.

I grew up in the mountains shooting guns, lots of hunting, blood and guts. i also grew up doing martial arts, into competitive MMA. i have no LE/MIL training.

i never really had a desire to carry a gun through my younger years. i'm not rich, or a hot woman, i don't live in a bad part of town. i figured i could handle anything but a gun. and why would someone point a gun at me other than a robbery and they can have my money.

well, at about age 24 i got into a lot of knife training in the more advanced Krav Maga stuff, and realized how truly scary a knife is.

and then...

i am 26, married to my first wife. we met in fight class. she was trying to become a Colo State Patrol Narcotics Officer. she also grew up shooting and fighting. tough chick.

we go to a local college town, college bar, it's holloween. it's her turn to drink, i am DD. BIG bar, 3 levels. on the top floor we are standing at the bar, talking to friends, when she yelps, jumps, turns... and punches the guy sqaure in the nose who just grabbed her butt. nose pops like a zit, blood, screams, he hits the ground. we laugh. you mess with her, your problem. he staggers off. we go downstairs.

end of night. go outside, walk to back parking lot. just her and i. she's pretty drunk. 3 guys following us. one of em is dude, changed his bloody shirt, but you can see his swollen bruised, maybe broken nose. i don't notice them until we are pretty close to car. tell her to run to car. they catch up at the trunk. bloody nose goes for her, two buddies for me. i am thinking this is bad. i am not playing with these guys. but i am between the rear fender of my car, and the bed of a truck. first dude closes on me in the gap. can't see my wife. i lunge forward, grab his testes, twist and squeeze, but also realizing it's probably not a good idea to tear them off, but i head butt the bridge of his nose. he drops. second guy behind him slashes at me with a knife. i hastily "block" it, and get a nasty cut on my right fore-arm. still have the scar.

i stumble back, but am relieved by the fact he has to try to get accorss his buddy still clutching his face and groin in a heap between us. right as i am trying to figure my next move he gets his fooring and lunges, again with the knife. this time i get lucky, angles are just right, and i execute the fastest, meanest, "figure four" or "key" lock on his kinfe arm i ever have. i bend him down and have total control. but he still has the knife in his hand, and it gives me just enough time to hear sreams and shouts from my wife's side of the car. so i take risk and lose the key lock to strip the knife out of his hand. i give him as hard of a knee to the chest i can execute, and unsure of myself, hurl the knife away, and run to the other side of the car.

to witness my drunken wife mounted on top of this guy, beating him to tar. i mean, literally, we didn't stop to examine the guy, but i think she broke his orbital. he's a mess.

so i grab her and finally shove her into the car, giving her the keys and telling her get it started and buckle in.

i run back around to my side, and both gentlemen are on their feet again. yay. the guy who had the knife rushes out again, but now we are out in the open. and mr sore crotch stumbles out after. knife slasher tries to tackle me, i side step, grab his jacket, and swing him, he goes flying and lands in the dirt (gravel lot) quite a was off. i rush sore crotch and stomp kick him now, and he falls down. far enough from the car i run to the car, get in, lock it, and tear buttocks out of there.

that night i learned a few things. you never know when something will go from bad to worse. and you never know when craziness will come out or nowhere. i learned i needed to be smarter and pay attention more. i learned i should consider arming myself, fighting skills are good, but not enough.

that was the nastiest encounter i've ever been in. and i've spent a lot of time thinking about itin the subsequent 7 years. i have picked it apart and know i did about a thousand things wrong.

totally random for me to share this today, not sure i why i thought of it like it did.

FYI- my ex said she remembered hip tossing him, but he landed sloppily against the side of the car, and then he grabbed her, that's when she went full mount and started punching. so she was raining down on this guy the whole time i was scrapping with his "pals". bet he doesn't mess with a pretty red-head again. judging by how torn up her hands were, i think she really hurt that guy.
    Actually, I'm thinking the entire event sounds fun!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

yea. i figured along those lines. once i had the knife out of play i should've incapacitated him more than the odd angle, lousy knee to the chest i gave him, i think it more just knocked him over more than anything. he actually got it the least of all three. and i still have that scar. i know i broke #1's nose, i felt it in my skull. and i jerked his junk hard. but knife boy probably got it worst when he landed on the gravel at the end. which isn't much.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    HA! it was my first wife and i's favorite story to tell after that....
    gatorbait51 likes this.

HA! it was my first wife and i's favorite story to tell after that....
    My wife ain't much of a fighter; but she will light up the night for ya with muzzle flash to assist her man:)
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Sounds scary and I'm pretty sure I would not have faired as well. In the midst of it, I'm not sure a gun would have helped once the fight was on you. Maybe before they caught up to you though, since you said they saw you following. I'm pretty sure if you had drawn a gun, there was a good chance you may have has to fire it. Sounds like you may be the kind of guy that doesn't even need a firearm. Nice work!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    gman, in a few years that could be YOUR daughter... as I recall, her hand is no stranger to bloody noses!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Only criticism I have is that after the first incident in the bar, you two should have left asap. Time will only help to brew bad things from there on out. A dope's bruised ego will ache more than his nose.

But once it's on, it's on. I'm sure that you were so concerned with your wife's safety that it distracted you from the other two. Considering how you fared while distracted... great job!
    oneshot, mano3 and ericb445 like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links