Forward Cant of Holster? Defensive Movement.

This is a discussion on Forward Cant of Holster? Defensive Movement. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Moderator: Move if improper forum. My primary holster is OWB during the cold winter months; which BTW is too long this year. LOL The holster ...

Thread: Forward Cant of Holster? Defensive Movement.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar

Moderator: Move if improper forum.

My primary holster is OWB during the cold winter months; which BTW is too long this year. LOL

The holster has the typical forward cant. I carry on my right side about 3:30-4 O'clock.

My typical draw is to drop my right leg back as I clear my jacket with the left hand.
    The forward cant pretty much forces this movement on me as attempting to withdraw the weapon straight up is met with holster resistance.

Because of this initial movement, I rarely find myself moving into the Weaver stance.

As a martial arts practitioner, I personally see a benefit in this movement.

1) It positions me in the standard defensive boxers stance.
    2) My left hand is free for strikes, weapon deflection of the attacker.
    3) It places my weapon further from the attacker.
    4) It positions my body well for counter strikes.
    5) Excellent stability in stance.

The only real negative I see in the forward cant holster is being on my back could prove difficult to withdraw the weapon.

My understanding from reading is that the forward cant conceptually is designed as a minimal amount of retention
    from a attacker attempting to access my weapon from behind me.

So I'm curious for discussion only if others see these benefits as well in using the forward cant holster?
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Sponsor
    Never looked at it from that angle. The FBI (Forward Body Incline) is primarily a concealment enhancing feature in a CC holster. I does in fact make it more difficult to draw the pistol from behind and that may have been the original thinking for the angle.

It does allow for the pistol to ride higher without causing an uncomfortably high draw stroke and makes the lines of the pistol to be more in line with the lines of the body.

As far as making it more difficult to draw when on your back, I'd think just the opposite. I'll have to do a little experimenting to prove it to myself though. The forward cant should allow you the get a full grip and draw the pistol without having your elbow as far to the rear(down) making it easier to draw from your back down prone position and more difficult from a traditional face down prone. Though it should take only a minimal shift of the hips to facilitate the draw when face down.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Rightseroding: I do exactly the same as you do for all of the same reasons.

I'm left handed and prefer to crossdraw. I wear my revolver at about the 3:00 and the grip cants forward really a good bit. I was initially sort of concerned about it, but I never thought about someone grabbing it from behind til now. Good point, thanks.
    NRA Life Member

All of my holsters have a forward cant. I tried a leather holster with this feature, and had to essentially bend at the waist to draw a pistol. I found this very unsatisfactory since that movement may not be possible in certain situations. My kydex holsters (Raven Concealment and Crown) also have a forward cant, which helps conceal, but do not present any problems with the draw. My normal draw is to move off the line of force as I draw the pistol.

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    It's either forward or neutral cant that's a bit faster for the draw, but I can't remember which. Memory says forward. Never heard of the snatch-resistance angle. I ran/run neutral cant in every position I've carried in (3:00, 9:00 in the past, 1:00 currently), but that's more holster choice and personal preference than anything else.

I'm guessing you also practice the draw off a forward step of the left foot as well to cover places where you can't drop the right side back?
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

I use a paddle IWB kydex holster with the FBI cant. I practice sidestepping as I draw, which leaves me slightly crouched facing the target. I also carry my folding knife clipped on my weak side pocket. Although it's usually used as an everyday tool, it could also be used as part of pistol retention.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CR Williams View Post

I'm guessing you also practice the draw off a forward step of the left foot as well to cover places where you can't drop the right side back?
    Hmm? No I don't; but an excellent point. Thanks
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Sponsored Links