What To Do in Active-Shooter Situation:

This is a discussion on What To Do in Active-Shooter Situation: within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tonight after leaving University-work I received a RAVE-ALERT of "Man With Handgun" - "Shelter in Place" - on my cellphone from Campus Police about an ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree239Likes

Thread: What To Do in Active-Shooter Situation:

Tonight after leaving University-work I received a RAVE-ALERT of "Man With Handgun" - "Shelter in Place" - on my cellphone from Campus Police about an hour and a half after I left campus, and just in case there were students left where we had worked together 90 min before (cell phones have no or poor reception in that room) called Campus Police to check the room for straggler-students to tell them to shelter-in-place. I later found out this was part of robbery quite a distance from where I just taught (but still on-campus), so not quite so dangerous as high-powered rifle maniac. I feel easier having made the police call though it was no doubt an excess of caution. Who cares? Can't be too careful in this kind of affair and I'm not just responsible for students when I'm on-campus if they may be in danger.

Hopefully, this will end peacefully.

Anyway got me thinking and though it's basic I thought I'd post my campus video on What To Do In Active-Shooter Situation available to all our faculty, students and staff. If it's helpful to anyone here or their loved ones I offer it.

Best.

Active Shooter - UB Alert - Emergency Information and Resources
    gatorbait51 likes this.

In case of Active Shooter Situation: SHOOT BACK!!!
    "Don't make me assume my ultimate form!"

VIP Member
    From the article:
    "Take Action Against the Active Shooter

As a last resort, and only when your life is in imminent danger, attempt to disrupt and/or incapacitate the active shooter by:

Acting as aggressively as possible against him/her
    Throwing items and improvising weapons
    Yelling and committing to your actions
    "

As long as everyone remains unarmed in our schools, this suicidal approach is the best these "experts" are going to be able to offer up. My personal plan, if confronted with a psycho killing unarmed innocents in my vicinity, is to kill him.
    heritage1865, OD*, PEF and 17 others like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    In case of Active Shooter Situation: SHOOT BACK!!!
    I think it's in the order recommended unless you are police. That order is based on the immediacy of the danger as you remember. If shots are heard a distance away the recommendation is not to go to the area of the shots but to exit immediately.

Administrator
    Its been proven time and time again that when these shooters are confronted with like force, or even the threat of like force, they stop shooting and usually kill themselves.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    From the article:
    "Take Action Against the Active Shooter

As a last resort, and only when your life is in imminent danger, attempt to disrupt and/or incapacitate the active shooter by:

Acting as aggressively as possible against him/her
    Throwing items and improvising weapons
    Yelling and committing to your actions
    "

As long as everyone remains unarmed in our schools, this suicidal approach is the best these "experts" are going to be able to offer up. My personal plan, if confronted with a psycho killing unarmed innocents in my vicinity, is to kill him.
    I'll take the recommendation and not search out the shooter like I was a cop unless he's "here". I'll exit the building attempting to gather as many as possible to show them the way out (if it's the safe way.) If it's a campus it's the same as if it's a mall.
    gatorbait51 and GWarden like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    I think it's in the order recommended unless you are police. That order is based on the immediacy of the danger as you remember. If shots are heard a distance away the recommendation is not to go to the area of the shots but to exit immediately.
    Recommendation noted. If I hear shooting in a mall, school or other crowded public venue, that is likely the direction I will be heading.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Some of the best logic came from the show Firefly; "And don't you ever stand for that sort of thing. Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    I'll take the recommendation and not search out the shooter like I was a cop unless he's "here". I'll exit the building attempting to gather as many as possible to show them the way out (if it's the safe way.) If it's a campus it's the same as if it's a mall.
    Do whatever you are up for.
    gatorbait51 and Ghost1958 like this.
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its been proven time and time again that when these shooters are confronted with like force, or even the threat of like force, they stop shooting and usually kill themselves.
    I'm trying to think of an exception to that statement, and can think of no examples. Charles Whitman, perhaps, but I think he was taken out by surprise.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    William T. Sherman

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I'm trying to think of an exception to that statement, and can think of no examples. Charles Whitman, perhaps, but I think he was taken out by surprise.
    There are none in recent history that I'm aware of.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sponsor
    Force Science Institute came out with their assessment on active shooter scenarios. Sixto is correct, they also recognized the fact that confronting the perp was the fastest way to get them to stop their attack through their research of recent active shooter scenarios. .
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Force Science Institute came out with their assessment on active shooter scenarios. Sixto is correct, they also recognized the fact that confronting the perp was the fastest way to get them to stop their attack through their research of recent active shooter scenarios. .
    I wonder why that is. I surmise that these people have already committed to suicide, and being shot, wounded, and taken alive would defeat their final suicidal plans. So perhaps when confronted with lethal force they decide that is the time to end it.

Regardless of the motivation, this behavior is a most compelling fact for allowing legally armed individuals in what are now "gun free" zones.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

The whole "throw items and improvise weapons" thing ticks me off severely. Thanks for the advice, after you've made sure I have no effective means of self-defense, to take out an armed attacker by throwing staplers at him.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

Captain Bellamy

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I wonder why that is. I surmise that these people have already committed to suicide, and being shot, wounded, and taken alive would defeat their final suicidal plans. So perhaps when confronted with lethal force they decide that is the time to end it.

Regardless of the motivation, this behavior is a most compelling fact for allowing legally armed individuals in what are now "gun free" zones.
    It's more of a power and control thing; all these shooters have been social outcasts of one type or another. Their killing spree is a last ditch effort for power and or notoriety; they want to go out on their own terms and by their own hand.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links