Nothing bad happened, but I was glad I was carrying

This is a discussion on Nothing bad happened, but I was glad I was carrying within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am pretty new to handgun ownership. I have submitted all my CHL info and awaiting my license. In Texas, I can carry concealed at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Nothing bad happened, but I was glad I was carrying

I am pretty new to handgun ownership. I have submitted all my CHL info and awaiting my license. In Texas, I can carry concealed at my place of business, which I do own. So, I’ve been debating carrying there, and today decided I would carry my very concealable .38 spcl S&W snub-nose revolver (637 "Wyatt Deep Cover").

Around 3 in the afternoon, a strange little incident happened. An employee I had fired some time ago, appeared in the reception area asking to speak to me. I hadn’t seen her in the 12 years since, but when I fired her, she wasn’t very happy about it, called me some names and made a parting "joke" to one of my employees about how her husband’s "motorcycle gang was going to beat me up.”

About a month ago, this same previous employee had been in the parking lot asking for me, not saying why. She told a current employee that she was out of work, had been living in her car, and had spent 49 days in jail for assaulting her husband! So, I’d been having some extra SA in the parking lot, but hadn’t worried too much about it and wasn’t thinking about it all today.

So when she showed up today, people got more than a little nervous. I have to admit I was feeling some adrenaline, but also felt the added security of the gun on my hip. Just to make matters more exciting, the employee she talked to up front was telling me, “she’s carrying a big purse…” As in “could be a gun in there."

So, I go out to the reception area to talk with her, and as it turns out, she tells me just wanted to apologize for being ugly to me when I fired her (12 years ago!). She said that as a Christian, she knew it was not OK and had to make amends. I told her it was OK and that I would pray for her and hoped she was well.

Very weird incident; kind of sad, really. And as it turned out, there was never any actual threat. But it was my first experience of feeling really glad I was carrying.

Glad it was a 'non-incident'...
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A good example of how you never know what's coming 'round the corner.

Of course, prior uglies in our lives is one of the many reasons we all carry. Others who believe they've got a beef with us; folks blowing a gasket that day; career criminals seeking a score; simple bad luck. You never know.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    I learned a long time ago that the world has way of working these kind of things out. Glad it was a non-incident, but I still wouldnt rehire her.
    gatorbait51 and Bad Bob like this.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

VIP Member
    Glad things worked out. Remember 99.999% of your life you will never need a gun. It's that .001% that you carry for.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Glad it was a less exciting story we need those in this life. Stay safe and carry on.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

This incident again shows why "Carry, always!" is such good advice. If circumstances warranted it, you were ready. In this case you didn't need it. Thank goodness.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The pen may be mightier than the sword, but a .45 caliber sword on the right hip can come in pretty handy sometime.

VIP Member
    welcome, I guess you are better off being prepared than worried
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Part of her 12 step program?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Hello, my name is Earl.

My Name Is Earl - TV.com

gatorbait51 likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

back in 2008-2009 the company I was working for laid off over 120 people of our 150 person payroll. We all had numerous death threats from employees that probably meant it. A few of us remaining were armed to the teeth, and any strange car patrolling our plant got the eagle eye. To make matters even more dicey, in late 2009 there was a disgruntled employee in downtown Orlando that came back after two years of being fired from an engineering firm to open fire on defenseless employees killing one and wounding many.

Any time there is an employee fired for any reason, it should be taken very seriously if they just decide to show up one day. You were spot on with your radar and being prepared for the worst. You had every reason to be leary of this woman.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Just a side note here. The USPS has put an open bid request for.(DRUMROLL)...............WAIT FOR IT...............various calibers of small hand gun ammo USPS announces giant ammo purchase

Adds new meaning to the phrase "GOING POSTAL"
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    Just a side note here. The USPS has put an open bid request for.(DRUMROLL)...............WAIT FOR IT...............various calibers of small hand gun ammo USPS announces giant ammo purchase

Adds new meaning to the phrase "GOING POSTAL"
    Huh. Wonder if they're actually going to arm carriers. Always thought that was stupid that they didn't at least allow them to carry.

mail man better not carry until I can carry in the post office!
    ws76133, oldnfat and RemMod597 like this.

Distinguished Member
    I look at these types of incidents the same way I look at flying, the best ones are uneventful...

Happy that everything was OK! I assume that you may be carrying more at work in the future?
    hugbab likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links