Hospital 302 Patient

Hospital 302 Patient

This is a discussion on Hospital 302 Patient within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I thought up this scenario while my fiance was in the hospital until 4am the other night because they thought she had a ...

Thread: Hospital 302 Patient

Hospital 302 Patient

Hey guys,

I thought up this scenario while my fiance was in the hospital until 4am the other night because they thought she had a clot in her lung (thank god it wasn't, just very severe acid reflux)

Anyways

I worked ina hospital for 2 years. Most hospitals (that I know of in this area) are relatively close to a psychiatric center. From my experience, they bring the 302 Patients into the hospital for evaluation before they ship them to the psych-center. They did this a few times while my fiance and I were in the hospital. So I thought of what I would do if one of the "crazy people" decided to go ape' and start tearing the place apart. Given the hospital's security was a joke, I don't think they would of been a big help. My first reaction would be to lock the sturdy, wood door we were behind, and hope he doesn't enter (I had my Glocks on me). If he managed to get in (I would of already moved Carrie to the bed farthest from the door, I'd try to get him the hell out (verbal, then OC). If he continued, he'd be asked at gunpoint.

Scenario:

You're sitting in the hospital with your signifigant other. A 302 patient goes crazy and starts running amok. What do you do? What would you do if he ran towards your room? What would you do if he started to come into your room?
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

VIP Member
    Hospital rooms have a lot of things capable of being used as defensive tools, e.g. food trays, wood chairs, removable metal bars on the beds. Plus the beds are movable and would make a good door block if you can figure out how to work the wheel locks.

I'd assess the tools situation and decide on moving the other bed to block the door and find a good defensive position if necessary.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

My Area Presents Some Problems...

Much of Gainesville, FL...is Shands at UF...that means a great hospital on the University of Florida property...a big 'no-no' for guns...
    CCW is not worth the risk, but at least if you're assaulted on the property, you'll receive great care...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Can't carry in a hosp. in Michigan either.

Given these circumstances, I'd simply become the baricade myself. A big wood door, a 302 patient who, if brought in by the police, would have no firearm, and the doors in our hospital all swing into the room...

I'd simply wedge myself up against the door. Unless the guy is a human battering ram, I don't see myslef losing the fight to keep that door closed.

Now if he did get in before I realized a need to block the door, then I'd find whatever I could to use as a weapon.... "Mr. Nut-ball, me Mr. Fire extinguisher!"

You know if you hit 'em just right, a fire extinguisher sounds just like Christmas bells ringing.....
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

VIP Member
    Both my folks worked in hospitals for many years. There is a code that goes out and all the male staff is required to respond. So going ape is pretty short lived. My dad was a boiler engineer and there were some pretty big boys on his crew.

If we are in a waiting area we leave, if we are in an exam room I'll barricade the door. If I am so slow that I was unable to barricde the door then I'll deal with the patient as necessary. I won't have my gun because we aren't allowed to have them in hospitals, they prefer to have good unarmed future customers.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Indeed. Hospitals are well versed in handling disturbed patients. Most disturbed patients are not a threat to others, except during the restraint phase. However, most hospitals are not prepared for ARMED disturbed patients.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Much of Gainesville, FL...is Shands at UF...that means a great hospital on the University of Florida property...a big 'no-no' for guns...
    CCW is not worth the risk, but at least if you're assaulted on the property, you'll receive great care...

ret
    Actually, in Florida, it is a felony at present to bring a firearm onto hospital property.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    You're sitting in the hospital with your signifigant other. A 302 patient goes crazy and starts running amok. What do you do? What would you do if he ran towards your room? What would you do if he started to come into your room?
    A perp's a perp. As a visitor, I'd not likely know a given attacker is labeled by the hospital as under-psych-eval or 302 or whatever. Can't help that. So, same ol', same ol' ... if attacked to a degree that justified the use of lethal force, I would defend to the degree necessary to stop the engagement, no matter the cost to the BG, even if it killed him. Situation dynamics depending, as always.

Now, in the situation of being on staff at the hospital, it's highly unlikely that I would not be aware of the environment, perhaps even the specific patient. I would also be in the employ of a company, and it can make its own policies, even to the degree that they're conditions of employment. That would complicate things. Still, in the end, a person under psych-eval can still harm, maim, kill. It would come down to the details, ferocity and what was at stake. My life and the life of my S.O.? BG's getting stopped. Ideally, by the cavalry (my colleagues ... a whole passel of 'em), if possible. Otherwise, by myself with the force required.

In Oregon, thankfully, those authorized to carry concealed handguns are exempt from the general restriction against carrying in hospitals (ORS 166.360.(4), 166.370.(3)(d)). No distinction is made as to hospital staff, though a given hospital may make its own policies regarding the carrying of lethal weapons by its staff members (depends on the company).
    Last edited by ccw9mm; December 26th, 2006 at 02:25 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    From my experience, they bring the 302 Patients into the hospital for evaluation before they ship them to the psych-center.
    They dont have a cop with them ?

I've transported many crazies over the years to hospitials for evaluation and have spent many hours sitting with them(as a Deputy). Although it dosent happen often, they have on occasion had to be subdued by one method or another.

With the ones that cant be trusted, or the more crazy ones, we just leave them handcuffed. With the ones that tend to get stupid, handcuffed to waist chains and leg iron are standard. I've even transported them with cloth bags over their heads to keep them from spitting on everyone.

I cant beleive that they would leave someone unattended in a hospital. That is a definate no-no here.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Sponsored Links