If a LEO damages your weapon while disarming you...

This is a discussion on If a LEO damages your weapon while disarming you... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I was hoping to pick your brains for a minute. Let's say you get pulled over and you inform the LEO that you ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree176Likes

Thread: If a LEO damages your weapon while disarming you...

Hey guys, I was hoping to pick your brains for a minute. Let's say you get pulled over and you inform the LEO that you are carrying a concealed weapon. For his safety he disarms you but in doing so he accidently drops your pistol on the pavement or gravel and it now has a few noticeable scratches in it. What is the correct course of action to take? I love my firearms almost as much as my wife and son lol, and it would really bother me to have one needlessly damaged. Is there anything you could do about it?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

If the dufus just drops it and bangs it up on his or her own? Here with dash cams showing the clumsy cop dropping a firearm they took for safetys sake if you pushed Id say the dept will replace or have repaired your firearm rather than have their officer drug all over the news pulling a boner like that. JMO

Personally Im not that into what my guns look like. So if officer fumble fingers didnt jump up and down on it when they dropped it, or shoot themselve or me by dropping it, had not been a arrogant butt head during the stop and my gun only had a scratch or two with nothing broken Id likely just wait to hear an apology from the officer as he or she handed it back and let it go at that. But thats just me
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    If the dufus just drops it and bangs it up on his or her own? Here with dash cams showing the clumsy cop dropping a firearm they took for safetys sake if you pushed Id say the dept will replace or have repaired your firearm rather than have their officer drug all over the news pulling a boner like that. JMO
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^What Ghost said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ghost you know as well as I do the dash cam pictures would disappear or get lost.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^What Ghost said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ghost you know as well as I do the dash cam pictures would disappear or get lost.
    Probably so lol. Depends a lot of the individual officer. Some I know personally make sure it was taken care of. Some of em wouldnt. Not willingly anyway.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I've never understood that, to be disarmed for officer safety? Its much safer leaving the firearm where it is than to hand it to someone else IMO. Do guns get jumpy around officers or something? I'm still new to guns.

I'd be upset if a cop with butterfingers dropped my gun. I hope they would replace it. I don't mind regular wear but damage caused by someone else should be fixed by the person responsible.
    Oldpsufan and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member
    I have a lot of things I worry about some manufactured and some pretty important. I can honestly say I have not worried about an officer damaging my gun or dropping it.
    Bill

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CCEnthusiast View Post
    I love my firearms almost as much as my wife and son
    Really? Fix your priorities.

If it was a concern that deeply bothered me, I would carry an inexpensive, reliable fire arm. I would go with a Ruger LC9 or a Shield. Might look at a used gun. What ever it takes to give you peace of mind. If the likely hood of a LEO dropping my gun still bothered me I would then carry a Glock. Already ugly.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

The agencies local government would quickly shill out a few dollars to make good. Every city, county government has a legal department that deals with this stuff, and would not want something so minor cause problems.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Prove it wasn't already scratched up,
    gatorbait51 and Arborigine like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If something like that happens, I'd say you bought a cheap gun and he actually did you a favor. Not trying to be sarcastic there just being honest. If you witness him or her damaging it on deliberately then they should pay for it and be reprimanded by their superiors.
    gatorbait51 and 357and40 like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Good luck with that my friend.There are People waiting for restitution from a police department and waiting for years. where the police went to a house S'mashing in windows and doors and it turns out it was the wrong house, and that lady's house they never replaced the windows and doors she has been waiting for two years now with plywood on the windows and door
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdp751 View Post
    Good luck with that my friend.There are People waiting for restitution from a police department and waiting for years. where the police went to a house S'mashing in windows and doors and it turns out it was the wrong house, and that lady's house they never replaced the windows and doors she has been waiting for two years now with plywood on the windows and door
    She has the wrong atty obviously.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Sponsor
    Drop my Ed Brown, it goes back to Ed for refinish and parts replacement on anything damaged [ sights, gouges to slide/frame/grips, etc ]. Drop the glock, I'm probably going to laugh about it and expect I've just made a friend for life and no ticket issued.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Really? Fix your priorities.
    Wow, chill out dude. It was obviously a joke. But I do care about my guns. If YOU don't then why do you own them? To everyone else thanks for the responses. I'm not really worried about it. But the question did cross my mind and I figured this would be a good place to ask.
    gatorbait51 and saigaguy like this.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links