Almost had to draw today... But not on a human

Almost had to draw today... But not on a human

This is a discussion on Almost had to draw today... But not on a human within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was on a walk with my fiancé today through our apartment complex and we heard a dog barking through one of the back fences. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Almost had to draw today... But not on a human

Question Almost had to draw today... But not on a human

I was on a walk with my fiancé today through our apartment complex and we heard a dog barking through one of the back fences. As we turned the corner the dog managed to open or climb the fence. This thing was big and pissed off. Probably some kind of pit bull type (I have no problems with these breeds, my brother has one that's about 115 pounds and it plays well with my 2 year old daughter as gentle as a can be). Anyway this dog was about 7-8 feet from us growling with its ears pinned back. I put my hand on my ccw and was ready to make a move. Luckily the dogs owner came running out and put the dog in the apartment. Me, my fiancé, and the dog all came out of that situation without a scratch. But what if??? And has anyone else ever had a situation like this

Similar... when I was a kid a lop eared shepherd mix came charging at me and stopped about 8' in front of me, hackles up, ears back. I stomped my foot and yelled "Get out of here" and he took off.
    Dbdeeatch and Stevew like this.

Yeah happens more then you think .. I recommend dog mace and a good talking to the owner that if that happens again.... Most pits are not that bad of a dog but if you raise then wrong ...

In az last I look it is a felony if your dogs attacks another dog so you can guess what would happy if it attcks you ..

If it happens again call animal control.. Heck are Pit bulls not banned in fact by some towns as they were popular fighting dogs?

And it could be wrost try walking your dog at 3 pm and looking behind you to see a yote creeping up on you .. That is spintecher tighting moment ...
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    I was attacked by a dog and luckily, suffered only minor injuries, although the scars are prominent. Had to shoot it, which was a bummer. I was on duty as a LEO, so it was line of duty. We just had a woman killed by 2 dogs in our area. I consider them a big threat.
    Dbdeeatch and MasterGadgets like this.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

I've only drawn on animals, too. Raccoons are nasty.
    Dbdeeatch and Lee 1973 like this.

I live in a suburban development but I have farmland (Neighbors not mine)behind my house... I could have sworn i heard coyotes out there at times. One of them enters my backyard it won't be "HELLO PUPPY "
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Yeah, very similar. In the next building over from my apartment is a couple who own a ve ry nasty Doberman. They usually let him out into a little space with an invisible fence. But, sometimes, they don't add the shock collar. Which means he is free to aggressively run after and growl at people.

One day that dog is going to actually attack someone. With a nine month old daughter, I'm simultaneously scared and prepared every time I step out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    I live in a suburban development but I have farmland (Neighbors not mine)behind my house... I could have sworn i heard coyotes out there at times. One of them enters my backyard it won't be "HELLO PUPPY "
    Wait till you have one follow you down the road at 3 in the afternoon or are hiking at 4 and they start howling seeming right on top of you .. That is always fun...
    Bisquit69 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

We would get the large groups of dogs, especially at night wandering through the streets. They were called "Ghetto Cattle ". The single dogs on the street would run away if comfronted by a human, but if there was a group of them they would be very brave. They would hunt in packs and would be quite vicious. I'm a dog lover and it sucked when I had to shoot one while on patrol.---Sturgis
    S&W 64-4 38 cal
    S&W 640 38 cal
    Glock19 9mm
    S&W M&P 45C
    Mossberg 500
    NRA Member

When my son was 4 years old we were going for a walk. There was a group of young guys parked in a parking lot near the sidewalk we were walking on. Out of one of the cars jumped a pit-bull mix and he was going right for my son. I was not armed. I caught the dog in mid flight as we was leaping at my boy. I put my hands in his mouth and dislocated his jaw. His lower canines went right into the palm of my hand. The dog screamed and walked back to the car he came from. The young guys were very apologetic and had never seen the dog act like that before. I don't know if I would have had time to draw and shoot!

Across the alley from our garage is a row of rental houses, one evening the people who lived directly behind me decided to shoot pop cans with a BB gun, well they "happen" to put a few holes in my brand new garage door, it was replaced 3 days prior to the incident. I called the local PD to come out and do a report, the officer, myself, and 2 year old daughter were looking at the damage and discussing what happened and what the process was going to be. As the officer was taking pictures of the damage, the neighbor opened their back door, and a large white husky came running/growling out toward us. I grabbed my daughter and picked her up, the officer dropped his camera and drew on the dog, yelling commands at the owner to take control of his dog! The dog stopped and took a few steps toward the owner, it was a very tense few seconds...
    NONAME762 likes this.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    I've always thought it is more likely that I will need to use my gun against a dog than a human attacker. I suppose that sort of thing might vary by location. Unfortunately, many dogs charge, barking and growling, and then stop about 10 feet short. If you wait until 10 feet to make a decision, it's already too late.
    Ianthin and Crescentstar like this.

If it happens again, call animal control? IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN? Are you kidding me? If it happens again and it's a child, and the child is killed by this dog the owner let out unleashed how are you going to sleep at night? Sheesh.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    About 2 and a half years ago way before I had my CCL I had to fix the end of my driveway which is about a tenth of a mile long and when I was done I got about halfway back to my house and the neighbor's dog came running towards me and growling at me. All I had was a shovel and a rake. I dropped the rake and hollered at it for it to stop which luckily it did. It was probably 30-40 feet away. It turned around and ran back to it's house. I was prepared to do the best I could with the shovel I had in my hand but would have felt better if I had a firearm.

We have coyote, raccoon, and skunk in our area. Rabies is always an issue. A mountain lion killed some goats less than a mile away. Black bear have been sighted not too far from our house. That is why I carry a 10mm semi-auto or a .357 magnum revolver when I take the dogs for a walk.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links