Drive by shooter

Drive by shooter

This is a discussion on Drive by shooter within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been hearing a lot about drive by shootings lately. One was an attempted robbery where a car pulls up alongside the victim and the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Drive by shooter

Drive by shooter

I've been hearing a lot about drive by shootings lately. One was an attempted robbery where a car pulls up alongside the victim and the passenger in the back seat rolls down the window and points a gun at the victim. In this case, while you could draw/fire on the person in the back seat pointing the gun at you, can you fire at other passengers/driver?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    If you decide to engage, I recommend shooting at the person with the gun first.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by zubby01 View Post
    I've been hearing a lot about drive by shootings lately. One was an attempted robbery where a car pulls up alongside the victim and the passenger in the back seat rolls down the window and points a gun at the victim. In this case, while you could draw/fire on the person in the back seat pointing the gun at you, can you fire at other passengers/driver?
    Jamb on your brakes, let the shooter's car pass you, come to a stop, place your car in reverse if possible without getting into a accident get the hell out of there headed in the opposite direction if you can.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

As many people on this site have mentioned before, the rolling gunfight is about the worst situation you can be in. It is hard enough to hit things while on two feet with both hands under stress. Add a moving car to the mix and you are bound for so e disaster.

This is a lose lose situation. I am typically all for defending myself in a situation where it is warranted, but if a stray bullet hit the driver or passenger and they weren't armed your goose would be cooked in a court of law. Let's also not forget if one of those bullets meant for the shooter misses completely and hits an innocent bystander. I would take a good rear-ending by hopefully anything other than a semi before I pulled my CCW while on the road. Too many bad outcomes for firing.

The car that has a separate driver and shooter has the advantage. Do you feel lucky?
    Patterson911 and gatorbait51 like this.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or penicillin...

I HATE CENSORSHIP !!!

More info about me

It depends on if you're driving or walking down the street. If you're driving, creating distance is the best choice. If you are on the street, it depends on positioning. If you miss and hit the driver or passenger it probably isn't a matter of your goose being cooked. They were all taking part in the act of armed robbery. It really depends on the jurisdiction you're in. That is why it is important to know the laws in your area and the tendencies of the local DA's office.

In a town by me there was a group of guys doing something similar. They guy with the gun would have a shotgun. They would shoot at the victims's feet and legs. Then the second person would jump out and rob the person while the drive kept the car running. In that type of incident, I would fire back. There is no need in trusting they won't shoot again.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Remember the teacher telling you to “Bring enough for everybody”? That applies to gunfights, too. ~ Sarge @ Sarge's Roll Call

Quote Originally Posted by Patterson911 View Post
    This is a lose lose situation. I am typically all for defending myself in a situation where it is warranted, but if a stray bullet hit the driver or passenger and they weren't armed your goose would be cooked in a court of law. Let's also not forget if one of those bullets meant for the shooter misses completely and hits an innocent bystander. I would take a good rear-ending by hopefully anything other than a semi before I pulled my CCW while on the road. Too many bad outcomes for firing.
    How do you figure that? In most if not all jurisdictions if 2-4 people rob you or attempt to rob you and one of their number is hurt or killed all of those surviving are charged with the death of their associate plus armed robbery.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

The other possibility I have not seen mentioned is you kill disable the driver. The vehicle now plows into and kills or injures an uninvolved motorist or bystander. I don't think the plaintiffs are going to try to sue a couple gang bangers do you?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    In the situation you have one of two options in my opinion. One is to bury the gas pedal in the floor board and attempt to out run them, or two, slam on the brakes and keep them in front of you until you can hit an exit. While this was going on, I'd be hitting my speed dial for the police and keeping the line open. I have no intention of getting into a running gunfight if there is any way it can be avoided.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    How do you figure that? In most if not all jurisdictions if 2-4 people rob you or attempt to rob you and one of their number is hurt or killed all of those surviving are charged with the death of their associate plus armed robbery.
    Okay, but what do you do if one of those bullets hit an innocent bystander or worse yet, you end up committing vehicular homicide because you aren't paying attention to the road and run someone over or run a red light and cause multiple fatalities. You aren't paying attention to the road 100% nor your shooting, something bad is bound to happen. My personal choice would be to evade unless there was a very unique situation where I felt that I could, without any doubt, hit the target, and with us both being in a moving vehicle, I can't imagine that situation would ever present itself.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    What CLASS3NH said.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

I would just shoot the gun out of their hand.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

gatorbait51 likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Option #3. You already have your hands on a deadly weapon. If the gas and brakes don't shake them, it's time for force on force. I'm not advocating for a Dukes of Hazzard, or some Hollywood car chase, but I assume the scenario involves an immanent deadly threat (otherwise a gun is not a legal option anyway). Ramming your attacker is as justified as shooting for self defense. Live to pay the insurance deductible.
    First, attempt to create distance, then apply force as needed.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links